The Magic Of "Reasonable" Gun Restrictions

Too much Harry Potter. They think wave the wand, and crime disappears. :auiqs.jpg:

Less than one in 20 street robberies are being solved by police | Daily Mail Online
BZZZZZT! Straw man alert!

Nobody thinks reasonable gun control.messures will make crime disappear.

OP is gun nut nonsense.
but but but guns cause crime and murder
No, people cause crime and murder. Guns make it easier for bad people to commit crimes and murders.

Here's the main problem with your theory. You rely on the idea that, even if you completely ban guns, that criminals will give theirs up. In fact, if this were debated in congress, criminal actors would hoard guns as they would become INCREDIBLY VALUABLE to the criminal once a ban would be put into effect. It is simply supply and demand.

So the theory is nothing more than Naive thinking.
Nope. I don't expect everyone to give up all their guns. But if less are being put out, the total amount in circulation will reduce over time. Nothing works instantly.

How, when:

1. Of all gun related deaths, 2/3rds are suicides. What "common sense" gun control measure reduces this number when the suicidal can, and often does, simply seeks other methods.

2. 80% of all the others is gang related. What "common sense" gun control method stops gang members from murdering other gang members?

3. Domestic disputes. What "common sense" gun control measures reduces these.

4. Death by LEO in self defense or defense of others. What "common sense" gun control measures do you suggest.

I've just listed 99% of all gun related deaths.

If you have, for example 30,000 deaths prior to these laws being implemented, and 30,000 after, then what exactly did you accomplish?

That the body bags were not filled by dead bodies not killed with a gun is not a logical accomplishment.
You just assume suicides will seek other methods. They almost all require more preparation and determination than putting a gun to your head and pulling the trigger.

Japan, South Korea and England, all with tough gun laws have as high or higher suicide rate than ours.

Explanation?
I can't explain England (Brits are strange cats) but suicide is not a stigmatized in Asia as it is in the west so their rate has always been higher.

Why are the states with the highest suicide rates among the states with the most relaxed gun control?

guns have nothing to do with suicide.

half of all suicides are committed by other means than firearms.

Thinking that people will not commit suicide if they can't get a gun is naive to the point of mental retardation.
Riiiight, and heights have nothing to do with falling deaths.

Then tell me why do countries with very strict gun control have as many as or more suicides than we do?

Last edited:
No, people cause crime and murder. Guns make it easier for bad people to commit crimes and murders.

So what?

Guns also make it easier for law abiding people to defend themselves and their families
So, statistically, which one happens more often?

Defense, by far.
LMf'nAO! There is absolutely no evidence that your statement is true.

There is tonnes of evidence it is not.

If you really wanted to know, you would go look. There is little sense in my nurse-maiding you to what is freely available.

Those states mostly have a disproportionate amount of native Americans who disproportionately commit suicide.
Huh, you are correct in many cases. I did not realise. There are some outliers though. CA and NY both have a high percentage of native Americans and relatively low suicide rates. While Montana does not and still has a high suicide rate.

I don’t think the NA in those states have the conditions on reservations as the other States. Montana might also be an outlier as well.
Interesting.

Anywho, I don't expect gun regulation to stop suicides, although I would expect them to drop by a substantial amount. How much? We can't know until we try.

Suicide is a choice not a crime
What happened to "zero tolerance"?

Suicide is a criminal offense.
Suicide is not a crime and hasn't been for a while

Is Suicide Illegal? Suicide Laws By Country - Mental Health Daily

Currently there is no law against the act of committing suicide in the United States.

And where have I ever expressed a zero tolerance stance on anything?

Zero tolerance = Zero intelligence

Too much Harry Potter. They think wave the wand, and crime disappears. :auiqs.jpg:

Less than one in 20 street robberies are being solved by police | Daily Mail Online

OP is gun nut nonsense.

Here's the main problem with your theory. You rely on the idea that, even if you completely ban guns, that criminals will give theirs up. In fact, if this were debated in congress, criminal actors would hoard guns as they would become INCREDIBLY VALUABLE to the criminal once a ban would be put into effect. It is simply supply and demand.

Nope. I don't expect everyone to give up all their guns. But if less are being put out, the total amount in circulation will reduce over time. Nothing works instantly.
A well maintained firearm can work for decades if not a century.

OP is gun nut nonsense.

A well maintained firearm can work for decades if not a century.

I have a 1918 revolver that works better than a hell of a lot of newer guns do today! (and Man, do I get interest at the shooting range when I pull that out of the case)

So what?

Guns also make it easier for law abiding people to defend themselves and their families

If you believe the 2013 CDC report released during Obama's term then defensive gun uses happen at least as often as the criminal use of guns
Please post this report.

Priorities for Research to Reduce the Threat of
Firearm-Related Violence

http://nap.edu/18319

OP is gun nut nonsense.

Your solution is based on speculation? Again, why am I not impressed?

You just assume suicides will seek other methods. They almost all require more preparation and determination than putting a gun to your head and pulling the trigger.

Japan, South Korea and England, all with tough gun laws have as high or higher suicide rate than ours.

Explanation?
I can't explain England (Brits are strange cats) but suicide is not a stigmatized in Asia as it is in the west so their rate has always been higher.

Why are the states with the highest suicide rates among the states with the most relaxed gun control?

Thinking that people will not commit suicide if they can't get a gun is naive to the point of mental retardation.

Then tell me why do countries with very strict gun control have as many as or more suicides than we do?
Haven't we already been over this?

So what?

Defense, by far.
LMf'nAO! There is absolutely no evidence that your statement is true.

There is tonnes of evidence it is not.

If you really wanted to know, you would go look. There is little sense in my nurse-maiding you to what is freely available.
Lol, burden of proof/evidence is on the poster making the assertion. That's the way it is, and they way it always has been. Everyone knows this. Everyone also knows that people who refuse to post their evidence have none.

You are dismissed.

Explanation?

So you accept that it's the culture in other countries but not in this country?

What if it is the culture of this country and you just refuse to see it?

Huh, you are correct in many cases. I did not realise. There are some outliers though. CA and NY both have a high percentage of native Americans and relatively low suicide rates. While Montana does not and still has a high suicide rate.

I don’t think the NA in those states have the conditions on reservations as the other States. Montana might also be an outlier as well.
Interesting.

Anywho, I don't expect gun regulation to stop suicides, although I would expect them to drop by a substantial amount. How much? We can't know until we try.

Currently there is no law against the act of committing suicide in the United States.

So why does everyone kittens over that Kevorkian guy.

Interesting.

Assisting Suicide is illegal.

Sometimes the poster should use google prior to posting.

Interesting.

Assisted suicide is not the same as suicide

There are laws against assisted suicide while unassisted suicide is not illegal

Lol, you are reaching pretty far there bud.

Lol, you are reaching pretty far there bud.

Only because you can't answer the question.

Suicide is a choice and we all know you people don't like people to have choices

Forum List

Back