The madness that is Republican

Since 1939, Congress has raised the debt limit 89 times. That’s not a typo. The issue has come up 89 times, and in 89 instances, Congress passed a clean bill. In fact, in two-thirds of these instances, there was a Republican president, and no one ever used the vote as leverage for a reward.

During the Bush presidency, Republicans raised the debt ceiling, without strings or preconditions, seven times. The current GOP leadership in Washington has voted to raise the debt limit 19 times. Bush’s former budget director said this “ought to be treated as the housekeeping matter it is.”

But we’ve now reached the point at which routine housekeeping, which didn’t even give conservative Republicans a second thought as recently as 2008, is considered beyond the pale. This is madness.

Political Animal - The easiest, most effective way to resolve the crisis

What happened in the past is irrelevant. We weren't headed for fiscal disaster in those days. Obama and the Dims are accumulating debt 4 times faster than any administration in history. If they aren't stopped, this country will collapse.

End of story.

We cannot repeat the past
Federal Budget Math: We Can’t Repeat the Past

I was pleased to talk last Thursday at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. I began my presentation by showing that, under current tax and spending policies, federal debt held by the public would be roughly equal to our annual economic output by the end of the decade—a level that has been exceeded in the United States during only a few years in the 1940s. By “current policies,” I mean policies that are in effect now, even though they might be scheduled, by law, to expire or change in the next few years. Those policies include the tax cuts originally enacted in 2001 and 2003, the indexing of the parameters of the alternative minimum tax, and maintaining Medicare’s payment rates for physicians’ services. (Under current law—which includes the expiration in 2013 of the tax cuts originally enacted in 2001 and 2003, a sharp expansion in 2012 in the reach of the alternative minimum tax, and a nearly 30 percent cut in 2012 in Medicare’s payment rates for physician services—debt would rise only slightly relative to GDP during the rest of this decade.)

Thus, under current policies, the federal budget is quickly heading into territory that is unfamiliar to us and to most other developed countries as well. As policymakers and citizens think about this challenge, many wonder whether it is possible to return to a configuration of federal spending and revenues that, in earlier years, led to a stable trajectory of federal debt. Looking for historical reference points is natural. However, as I said in my talk, we cannot repeat the past when it comes to the federal budget: The aging of our population and the rising cost of health care have changed the backdrop for federal budget policy in a fundamental way.

Putting fiscal policy on a sustainable path will require significant changes relative to our historical experience in popular programs, people’s tax payments, or both.
[Emphasis added]

Director of the Congressional Budget Office

Because cutting taxes while running two wars off the books IS a sign of failed leadership.

Inheriting a trillion dollar deficit and a crumbling economy in the wake of a disastrous Presidency just aint the same, toots.

It's all Bush's fault!

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Those two wars only constitute about 7% of the deficit. Obama didn't inherit any $trillion dollar deficit. At most he inherited about a $700 million deficit. Instead of bringing it down, he accelerated federal spending.

Last edited:
Because cutting taxes while running two wars off the books IS a sign of failed leadership.

Inheriting a trillion dollar deficit and a crumbling economy in the wake of a disastrous Presidency just aint the same, toots.

It's all Bush's fault!

Facts make you cry?

Pussy.....

Those two wars only constitute about 7% of the deficit. Obama didn't inherit any $trillion dollar deficit. at most he inhereted about a $700 million deficit. Instead of bringing it down, he accelerated federal spending.

Hookay, moron.

No one does "putting party before country" better than contemporary republicans :razz: :clap2:

Refusing to make necessary spending cuts and piling more taxes onto woking Americans and small business is not putting the country before party, dipstick.

Idiotic Dim accusations don't fool anyone.

We'll see stpehie :rolleyes: I was under the impression that Representatives were sent to Washington to do things :eusa_eh: NOT sign pledges & cast Show-votes. :clap2:

"Do things" like destory the country?

No, they weren't sent to Washington simply to "do things." That claim is the ultimate idiocy.

So, the argument is that because we have been reckless and insane in the past, we should be reckless and insane.

Yup, that's madness - by definition.

Threatening to not raise the debt ceiling.
Threatening to cut Medicare.
Threatening to cut people's unemployment unless the rich get more tax breaks.
Slashing funding for education.

Clearly that describes "reckless", "insane" and "madness".

So, the argument is that because we have been reckless and insane in the past, we should be reckless and insane.

Only thing I remember was Obama threating that he wouldn't get Social Security checks out.

"No, I can't promise that Social Security checks will go out in August if we don't reach a deal."

Now thats threatening.

It's all Bush's fault!

Facts make you cry?

Pussy.....

Those two wars only constitute about 7% of the deficit. Obama didn't inherit any $trillion dollar deficit. at most he inhereted about a $700 million deficit. Instead of bringing it down, he accelerated federal spending.

Hookay, moron.

The current crop of Republicans and Right Wingers like a "good" cry:

boehner-crying.png

bush1.jpg

Glenn_Beck_Crying.jpg

But we’ve now reached the point at which routine housekeeping, which didn’t even give conservative Republicans a second thought as recently as 2008, is considered beyond the pale. This is madness

What is madness is when we have a projected deficit of 1.4 TRILLION dollars Republicans only propose $100 BILLION in cuts. I am disgusted with them. But as for your point, once again you show yourself to be the ignorant fool that you are. Every time the debt goes up fiscal conservatives squawk. There is nothing new about this, just as there is nothing new about your ignorance on this or any other subject.

BTW, I took you off my ignore list, but if you start PMing me again you're back on, you useless bitch. As I told you in my last PM before I shut you off I'm not here to have private conversations with dim wits. You want to insult me, nsult me in public. I'm not interested in a private conversation with you

Only thing I remember was Obama threating that he wouldn't get Social Security checks out.

"No, I can't promise that Social Security checks will go out in August if we don't reach a deal."

Now thats threatening.

Fear, the main product of the Democratic party. We borrow 40 cents of every dollar we spend, that is criminal. But it does mean that with incoming taxes we still have 60 percent of our budget. Democrats are telling us we'll have catastrophe because we'll default on our debt and we won't send social security or military checks out.

So...those are the most important things to Democrats, but they aren't in the top 60% of their priorities so they won't pay them if they only get 60% of the revenue. Democrats just showing themselves again to be the fear mongers that they are.

Hang in there poor people. We are this close to making everyone as poor as you.

Not when the CBO says we can't do what Obama wants.

What Obama wants is the opposite of what the CBO says we need to do.

So, NO...N-O to Obama.

Spending more than we have is reckless and insane. Continuing to do so when the situation is dire, makes some wonder if ruination is the goal of Obama.

Despite the low projected figure for defense spending and all other spending, the high costs of the major health care programs and Social Security mean that total outlays apart from interest on the debt are projected to be 20.5 percent of GDP in 2021, nearly 2 percentage points above the 40-year average. After interest payments are included, total outlays are projected to be nearly 24 percent of GDP, 6 percentage points more than the average amount of revenues during the past 40 years.

Therefore, given the aging of the population and the rising cost of health care, the United States cannot achieve all of the following objectives in the future:

Keep federal revenues at their average share of GDP during the past 40 years.
Provide the same sorts of benefits for older Americans that we have provided in the past 40 years.
Operate the rest of the federal government in line with its role in our economy and society during the past 40 years.
....​

(link above for CBO Director)

Last edited:
Since 1939, Congress has raised the debt limit 89 times. That’s not a typo. The issue has come up 89 times, and in 89 instances, Congress passed a clean bill. In fact, in two-thirds of these instances, there was a Republican president, and no one ever used the vote as leverage for a reward.

During the Bush presidency, Republicans raised the debt ceiling, without strings or preconditions, seven times. The current GOP leadership in Washington has voted to raise the debt limit 19 times. Bush’s former budget director said this “ought to be treated as the housekeeping matter it is.”

But we’ve now reached the point at which routine housekeeping, which didn’t even give conservative Republicans a second thought as recently as 2008, is considered beyond the pale. This is madness.

there's one tiny bit of information that seems to pass a dimocrat by.. that word is UNSUSTAINABLE.. ponder that.

Everytime we do ponder it, pointing out that the rich & corporations should pay their fair share, you forget about unsustainable and want to go start a war somewhere.

there's one tiny bit of information that seems to pass a dimocrat by.. that word is UNSUSTAINABLE.. ponder that.

Everytime we do ponder it, pointing out that the rich & corporations should pay their fair share, you forget about unsustainable and want to go start a war somewhere.

You mean like Libya???

Not when the CBO says we can't do what Obama wants.

What Obama wants is the opposite of what the CBO says we need to do.

So, NO...N-O to Obama.

Spending more than we have is reckless and insane. Continuing to do so when the situation is dire, makes some wonder if ruination is the goal of Obama.

Despite the low projected figure for defense spending and all other spending, the high costs of the major health care programs and Social Security mean that total outlays apart from interest on the debt are projected to be 20.5 percent of GDP in 2021, nearly 2 percentage points above the 40-year average. After interest payments are included, total outlays are projected to be nearly 24 percent of GDP, 6 percentage points more than the average amount of revenues during the past 40 years.

Therefore, given the aging of the population and the rising cost of health care, the United States cannot achieve all of the following objectives in the future:

Keep federal revenues at their average share of GDP during the past 40 years.
Provide the same sorts of benefits for older Americans that we have provided in the past 40 years.
Operate the rest of the federal government in line with its role in our economy and society during the past 40 years.
....​

(link above for CBO Director)

One must laugh at your tripe. The retards hve trashed America for the last 20 years eaisly, and you bring up ruination. LMAO!!:lol:

Well, its clear to me I'm starting to make sense to some people. Time to go do something else. I think I'll go rip some bushes out of a customer's yard with extreme prejudice, chain saw and a chain. You know, work Americans don't do.

Forum List

Back