The M14; To me its the finest battle rifle

liebuster

VIP Member
Oct 3, 2010
Just got to give props to the M14 that has served me well for the last few years. Polytech receiver rebuilt with some USGI and commercial parts. Not one malfunction, not one!!! Always goes bang and does it in style and with accuracy.

Here's some pics of a shooting excursion on a real windy day. It took a lot of brake cleaner to get that crud off.

dirtym14005.jpg

dirtym14004.jpg

Here's what a 600 yard range looks like. Can you see the targets??? My first time shooting that far and I hit the silhouette 6 out of 10 times with iron sights. Can't wait till the snow clears to go back

IMG_5088.jpg

the M14 was a better weapon than the M16.

It was just so damn heavy and it was llooonnggg.

You grandpappy wasn't complaining about the heavier M1 garand was he???:lol:

I have carried the m14 through the woods on long hunting excursions. It just builds a little stamina.....

The fiberglass stock should reduce the weight and they also are making them with 18" and 16" barrels now that should reduce the weight some. Hell, with all the toilet accessories that guys are putting on their AR15s the m14 probably weighs less on average. :lol:

images.jpg

the M14 was a better weapon than the M16.

It was just so damn heavy and it was llooonnggg.

You grandpappy wasn't complaining about the heavier M1 garand was he???:lol:

I have carried the m14 through the woods on long hunting excursions. It just builds a little stamina.....

The fiberglass stock should reduce the weight and they also are making them with 18" and 16" barrels now that should reduce the weight some. Hell, with all the toilet accessories that guys are putting on their AR15s the m14 probably weighs less on average. :lol:

images.jpg

My Grandfather was a doctor. B/c his foot was fused to his leg (no ankle) he was not allowed to serve in WW2. No matter how hard he tried, they all said no b/c he couldn't march.

My Dad served in Korea. At the end he got to shoot an M16. I'll quote him here;

"With the M1 you had to aim and shoot, with that thing, all you did was point and spray."

Nobody wanted to use it b/c it was an auto. And in Korea carrying an automatic = dead.

The M-14 is still in the Army inventory and still used on a small scale. Small teams where a 7.62mm weapon with full auto is useful, but an M240 would be too heavy and overkill.

Everybody has their favorites. I'll stick with the MG42......... :eusa_whistle:

If were gunna go there, lets go there.

The MRK-48 torpedo was a great weapon to go fishing with. :blowup:

Yeah but I have access to 3 working MG42s and 2 working MG34s, one Browning 30 cal amongst a score of others and access to a range to live fire. :D
I don't have access to a functioning MRK-48. :(

Just got to give props to the M14 that has served me well for the last few years. Polytech receiver rebuilt with some USGI and commercial parts. Not one malfunction, not one!!! Always goes bang and does it in style and with accuracy.

Here's some pics of a shooting excursion on a real windy day. It took a lot of brake cleaner to get that crud off.

dirtym14005.jpg

dirtym14004.jpg

Here's what a 600 yard range looks like. Can you see the targets??? My first time shooting that far and I hit the silhouette 6 out of 10 times with iron sights. Can't wait till the snow clears to go back

IMG_5088.jpg

Very few folks appreciate what 100 yards looks like. you picture of 600 puts it in perspective. 6 out of ten at that range is pretty dang good. We have a range here ware you can shoot them full auto. It is fun, but does not seem to productive. M-16's are better in full auto and with the burst feature you can really tear a target up. Ringel05, are you a class 3 owner ? you dont seem paranoid enough. I have a Bushmaster AR-15 lower that I put together. Do not have an upper for it yet. Might do it up like an M-4 or even go retro Vietnam era AR. I just dont know If I can get a hand guard that will work with a heavy barrel.

No I don't own any class III weapons but I have lots of friends who do so I get to play with them on occasion. I don't know why you say paranoid, none of my friends are, they're just collectors and most are reenactors like me.

No I don't own any class III weapons but I have lots of friends who do so I get to play with them on occasion. I don't know why you say paranoid, none of my friends are, they're just collectors and most are reenactors like me.

Not like that, even a two or three gun collection can represent thousands of dollars worth of investment. The class 3 guys that show up at the range will 9 out of 10 times let you peel a burst or two from there M-60, but they are usually very secretive about ware they live and there homes are fort Knox. And rightly so.

Not like that, even a two or three gun collection can represent thousands of dollars worth of investment. The class 3 guys that show up at the range will 9 out of 10 times let you peel a burst or two from there M-60, but they are usually very secretive about ware they live and there homes are fort Knox. And rightly so.
Nowadays, 10s of thousands of dollars investment so yeah, they'd be a little cautious. Oh and if you're planning on building a class III I hope you have a class III manufacturing FFL before you do it, BATF heavily frowns on that if you don't.

Nowadays, 10s of thousands of dollars investment so yeah, they'd be a little cautious. Oh and if you're planning on building a class III I hope you have a class III manufacturing FFL before you do it, BATF heavily frowns on that if you don't.

Oh, No,No,No,No, I dont have that kind of money and it seems like a big hassle. What I am building was going to be a varmint set up, but I have changed my mind about 4 times. AR-15 is fine by me. Oh, And the FN-FAL is a nice battle rifle in .308 to. but the cost is beyond me. I have always been heavy into archery to and that is not cheap either. Especaley in this day and age. If I want to shoot class three I go here- http://www.thearmsroomtx.com/ and shoot theirs.

Last edited:

Oh, No,No,No,No, I dont have that kind of money and it seems like a big hassle. What I am building was going to be a varmint set up, but I have changed my mind about 4 times. AR-15 is fine by me. Oh, And the FN-FAL is a nice battle rifle in .308 to. but the cost is beyond me. I have always been heavy into archery to and that is not cheap either. Especaley in this day and age. If I want to shoot class three I go here- Woodlands Mall, Texas City, Galveston, Pasadena, - Piney Point, Sugar Land, Humble, Pearland, - The Arms Room in League City, Texas and shoot theirs.

If you like building them, cool, but if you don't go to JGSales.com and check out their inventory, they're pretty reasonable.

No doubt. I had an M1A, NM when I lived in the Empire. Never 1 jam in years of silhouette practice.
All I can find here is shitty M-16's left over from Ronny Raygun and Idiot Lolly's shenanigans.
I did recently find an old Mini in SS.

Oh, No,No,No,No, I dont have that kind of money and it seems like a big hassle. What I am building was going to be a varmint set up, but I have changed my mind about 4 times. AR-15 is fine by me. Oh, And the FN-FAL is a nice battle rifle in .308 to. but the cost is beyond me. I have always been heavy into archery to and that is not cheap either. Especaley in this day and age. If I want to shoot class three I go here- Beaumont, Benchmade, Galco Gunleather, Trijicon, - Deer Park, Baytown, Bellaire, Bunker Hill Village, - The Arms Room in League City, Texas and shoot theirs.

A guy pawned a 700 in 22-250 about 3 weeks ago. He had tricked this gun out wonderfully for varmint hunting, with bull barrel, tripod, trigger job, and countless other tweaks.

He's going to get it back, but I have 4 employees hoping he gets hit by a bus :)

Look into the Remington VTR also. When they first came out, I thought they looked weird, wasn't interested. Finally took one home in .308, stock (haven't tweaked it all, other than a slight lightening of the trigger). The triangulated barrel really works, giving all the advantage of a bull barrel at a reduced weight. And I'm sure its only in my head, but I am convinced the shape of the barrel helps me aim more accurately, even though I don't see the barrel when I'm looking through the scope :)

Oh.....and anytime you're looking at a bolt action for ANYthing, if you don't look at a Tikka, you're cheating yourself :)

As for favorite rifles, check my username :)

Its as accurate as a Red Ryder BB gun, but reliable as a brick.

I've always known that when Red Dawn becomes reality, I will go out with the Ruger in my hands :)

As for favorite rifles, check my username :)

Its as accurate as a Red Ryder BB gun, but reliable as a brick.

I've always known that when Red Dawn becomes reality, I will go out with the Ruger in my hands :)

Nah! You're kidding, right? :eusa_whistle:
:lol:

I'm considering a mini 14, mostly tricked out with ATI collapsible stock, quad rail and ghost ring sights for $688 shipped plus the $35 transfer fee. I'd like to replace the sights with laser dots.