The lynch-mob mentality

Contessa_Sharra

Searcher for Accuracy
Apr 27, 2008
The lynch-mob mentality

By Glenn Greenwald
Salon

If I had the power to have one statement of fact be universally recognized in our political discussions, it would be this one:
The fact that the Government labels Person X a "Terrorist" is not proof that Person X is, in fact, a Terrorist.
That proposition should be intrinsically understood by any American who completed sixth grade civics and was thus taught that a central prong of our political system is that government officials often abuse their power and/or err and therefore must prove accusations to be true (with tested evidence) before they're assumed to be true and the person punished accordingly. In particular, the fact that the U.S. Government, over and over, has falsely accused numerous people of being Terrorists -- only for it to turn out that they did nothing wrong -- by itself should compel a recognition of this truth. But it doesn't.

All throughout the Bush years, no matter what one objected to -- illegal eavesdropping, torture, rendition, indefinite detention, denial of civilian trials -- the response from Bush followers was the same: "But these are Terrorists, and Terrorists have no rights, so who cares what is done to them?" What they actually meant was: "the Government has claimed they are Terrorists," but in their minds, that was the same thing as: "they are Terrorists." They recognized no distinction between "a government accusation" and "unchallengeable truth"; in the authoritarian's mind, by definition, those are synonymous. The whole point of the Bush-era controversies was that -- away from an actual battlefield and where the Constitution applies (on U.S. soil and/or towards American citizens wherever they are) -- the Government should have to demonstrate someone's guilt before it's assumed (e.g., they should have to show probable cause to a court and obtain warrants before eavesdropping; they should have to offer evidence that a person engaged in Terrorism before locking them in a cage, etc.). But to someone who equates unproven government accusations with proof, those processes are entirely unnecessary. Even in the absence of those processes, they already know that these persons are Terrorists. How do they know that? Because the Government said so. Even when it comes to their fellow citizens, that's all the "proof" that is needed.

That authoritarian mentality is stronger than ever now. Why? Because unlike during the Bush years, when it was primarily Republicans willing to blindly trust Government accusations, many Democrats are now willing to do so as well. Just look at the reaction to the Government's recent attempts to assassinate the U.S.-born American citizen and Islamic cleric Anwar al-Awlaki. Up until last November, virtually no Americans had ever even heard of al-Awlaki. But in the past few months, beginning with the Fort Hood shootings, government officials have repeatedly claimed that he's a Terrorist: usually anonymously, with virtually no evidence, and in the face of al-Awlaki's vehement denials but without any opportunity for him to defend himself (because he's in hiding out of fear of being killed by his own Government). The Government can literally just flash someone's face on the TV screen with the word Terrorist over it (as was done with al-Awlaki), and provided the face is nefarious and Muslim-looking enough (basically the same thing), nothing else need be offered.

That's enough for many people -- including many Democrats -- to march forward overnight and mindlessly proclaim that al-Awlaki is "a declared enemy of the United States working to kill Americans" (if you can stomach it, read some of these comments -- from Obama defenders at a liberal blog -- with several sounding exactly like Dick Cheney, screeching: "Of course al-Awlaki should be killed without charges; he's a Terrorist who is trying to kill Americans!!!"). Even now, beyond government assertions about his associations, the public knows virtually nothing about al-Awlaki other than the fact that he's a Muslim cleric with a Muslim name dressed in Muslim garb, sitting in a Bad Arab Country expressing anger towards the actions of the U.S. and Israel. But no matter. That's more than enough. They're willing not only to mindlessly embrace the Government's unproven accusation that their fellow citizen is a TERRORIST ("a declared enemy of the United States working to kill Americans"), but even beyond that, to cheer for his due-process-free execution like drunken fans at a football game. And the same people declare: no civilian trials are necessary for Terrorists (meaning: people accused by the Government of being Terrorists). Even more amazingly, the identities of the other Americans on the hit list aren't even known, but that's OK: they're Terrorists, because the Government said so.

More at Title Link...

Last edited:
And some people just don't want to deal with elephants in the room! It really is amazing, especially for one this big!

Are you feeling threatened here? Your response is awfully "personal."

Threatened? That you inundate this board with mindless, partisan rhetoric? Only in a bandwidth sort of way.:lol:

Apparently you didn't read the piece. It certainly was not "partisan" but then, why would one with your mindset be bothered with something as insignificant as the truth!

Threatened? That you inundate this board with mindless, partisan rhetoric? Only in a bandwidth sort of way.:lol:

Apparently you didn't read the piece. It certainly was not "partisan" but then, why would one with your mindset be bothered with something as insignificant as the truth!

To the OP:
Quote with linked sources = pass

Your take on what you posted = fail

In other words it works better if you state why you are asking others why we should give a crap. Not just posting quotes and links they tend to be ignored.

The fact that you believe an article by Glen Greenwald is "the truth" speaks volumes.

And some people just don't want to deal with elephants in the room! It really is amazing, especially for one this big!

And some people can't think for themselves. I submit the OP as proof.

Proof of what? That is it only the Left that jumps to conclusions about people's guilt?

Oops sorry, I keep forgetting to dumb down my post for you idiots. If I have to explain the two sentences I wrote, then you are more of an dumbass than your name suggest.

Nationalists are like 4th of July sparklers. When lit they emit a buffet of eye trapping attention and for the briefest of moments convince even themselves they are true to their principles. Soon, reality overpowers the deception and their principles are really just charred turds of Peter Pan fantasy. They have no principles because the very moment those principles are to play the most important role is the same moment they vanish. That is why they don't care if innocent people are imprisoned or tortured. If they feel safe they don't give a fuck about torture or secret prisons.

The problem with copying some idiots article is you can't question them on how they reached their conclusions. You can't ask for evidence that supports their arguments so there is no chance for honest debate. Kinda hard to debate someone on their article when they're not present. And why idiots like Contessa just take his word for "the truth" is beyond me.

Nationalists are like 4th of July sparklers. When lit they emit a buffet of eye trapping attention and for the briefest of moments convince even themselves they are true to their principles. Soon, reality overpowers the deception and their principles are really just charred turds of Peter Pan fantasy. They have no principles because the very moment those principles are to play the most important role is the same moment they vanish. That is why they don't care if innocent people are imprisoned or tortured. If they feel safe they don't give a fuck about torture or secret prisons.

What gives you the authority to speak for "nationalist"? How do you know what they care about or what principles they hold? Have you ever talked to anyone that claimed to be a nationalist? I think you're just making wild assumptions without anything to back it up. Prove me wrong!

What gives you the authority to speak for "nationalist"? How do you know what they care about or what principles they hold? Have you ever talked to anyone that claimed to be a nationalist? I think you're just making wild assumptions without anything to back it up. Prove me wrong!

You're too fucking stupid and dishonest for me to care what you think. Try reading up on Nationalism before accidentally confessing the depths of your ignorance.

Anwar al-Awlaki - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Take a read on the guy.

He is pretty well established as a traitor to his own country for decades and has had connections to people who like to hurt Americans .

Hes a piece of shit in my mind.

If in trying to bring in a dangeous man he ends up dead I'm not really going to get too upset.

As for assinations I'm not real keen.

I want them brought in and made to stand trial and pay for their traitorous actions.

Last edited:

The OP was thought provoking, for those inclined to think. Maybe that's what so upsets you gunny, as a stepford patriot you fear independent thought, and those who question authority.

Truthmatters posts what those of us who believe in the rule of law support. It is the essence of our nation - those who believe might makes right reject that which makes America strong and beloved.

Last edited:

You're too fucking stupid and dishonest for me to care what you think. Try reading up on Nationalism before accidentally confessing the depths of your ignorance.

In other words you got nothing. Just as I thought.

And some people can't think for themselves. I submit the OP as proof.

Proof of what? That is it only the Left that jumps to conclusions about people's guilt?

Oops sorry, I keep forgetting to dumb down my post for you idiots. If I have to explain the two sentences I wrote, then you are more of an dumbass than your name suggest.

I don't think you can dumb things down, Secesh. There is nothing below bottom. :lol::lol:

Forum List

Back