The Lost Babies Of China's One-Child Policy

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
The Chinese government says three decades of state-controlled family planning has prevented 400 million births, a feat achieved with the threat of heavy fines for extra births and the provision of free contraception.

Abortion - which is largely free of stigma in China - is also encouraged to terminate excess pregnancies.

But a traditional preference for male children and the increasing availability of ultrasound technology have intersected.

The result: the widespread use of abortion to guarantee a baby boy, throwing the country's demographics off balance.

By 2020 it is thought there will be 50 million men who cannot find a wife. In a culture where marriage and reproduction are considered the highest moral duties the result is a social time bomb.

China: 30 Years Since The Introduction Of One Child Policy, Millions Of Girls Have Disappeared | World News | Sky News

Wow. Saddest story of the day. :(

Given the intersection of tough economics and cultural norms, this is a problem for all asia in greater or lesser degree. In Asian culture, families are extended and several generations live together. Sons stay with the parent until the parent dies, and so sons are an investment, daughters are a cost. Daughters move into households with their husbands. In South China the government is turning a deliberate blind eye to large numbers of North Korean and Vietnamese brides, so China is in a way exporting its problem. As usual.

By 2020 it is thought there will be 50 million men who cannot find a wife. In a culture where marriage and reproduction are considered the highest moral duties the result is a social time bomb.

Sounds like economic opportunity to me.

AS China grows wealthier and the USA poorer, will US mail order brides be the next US export?

This golden opportunity might do great things to our balance of trade.

Damn! and here I am completely bereft of daughters to sell to lonely Chinamen

Well, given the rate of change in incomes , what with China growing at 7% per year, ROK growing at around 6% or better, this is something that might come about real soon. Especially given the pussification of boys at most public schools these days. Girls want men.

Given the intersection of tough economics and cultural norms, this is a problem for all asia in greater or lesser degree. In Asian culture, families are extended and several generations live together. Sons stay with the parent until the parent dies, and so sons are an investment, daughters are a cost. Daughters move into households with their husbands. In South China the government is turning a deliberate blind eye to large numbers of North Korean and Vietnamese brides, so China is in a way exporting its problem. As usual.
My immediate family can't stand the vast majority of our extended family, something along the lines of a social-economic triangle, and the worst of human nature contained within it. My favorite was how some of our extended family members treated us as some how inferior because instead of wasting our money on flashy cars, and expensive houses in a futile effort to be on the social ladder, we kept to ourselves, saved money, and as a result we were prepared for medical emergencies i.e. father's cancer treatment. So fuck them. :hmpf:

Last edited:
One cool thing about the way they do things is that they make sure the in laws get along with the kids before making a commitment.

My mama in law really worked hard at getting us divorced.

One cool thing about the way they do things is that they make sure the in laws get along with the kids before making a commitment.

My mama in law really worked hard at getting us divorced.

Ha ha. In the Catholic religion, couples must attend Pre-Cana classes before they marry. They spent an inordinate amount of time on in-laws, which my husband and I were confused about. We adore each other's families. Never once an issue, thank goodness.

You'll probably notice that most of the Chinese babies adopted by your friends, family, and neighbors are girls. My daughter's friend's family adopted one. She's adorable. Who wouldn't want a darling little Chinese girl?

Yes, China is developing an excess male population. This has happened in other times and places because of infanticide. I believe it can lead to a more warlike society.

They call it "gendercide" now. I bugged my husband for years to adopt a little girl from China. We have two boys. No luck. Now we're a bit too old to deal with diapers.

An eight-months pregnant woman was dragged from her home and forced to have an abortion because she had broken China’s one-child-per-family law.

Twelve government officials entered Xiao Aiying’s house where they hit and kicked her in the stomach, before taking her kicking and screaming to hospital.

There, the 36-year-old was restrained as doctors injected her with a drug to kill the unborn baby.

Read more: China forces woman into abortion at EIGHT months for breaching one-child policy | Mail Online

Sickening.

right now females are very valued in china and are being purchased as soon as a boys family can afford the price...to assure him a bride when he comes of age...

the one child policy only applies to the poor..the middle class and upper classes just pay the fine for having the 2nd or 3rd child...

how many children are starving today.....that would be a sadder story than worrying about the aborted

let me find the figures for ya

An eight-months pregnant woman was dragged from her home and forced to have an abortion because she had broken China’s one-child-per-family law.

Twelve government officials entered Xiao Aiying’s house where they hit and kicked her in the stomach, before taking her kicking and screaming to hospital.

There, the 36-year-old was restrained as doctors injected her with a drug to kill the unborn baby.

Read more: China forces woman into abortion at EIGHT months for breaching one-child policy | Mail Online

Sickening.

i find hungry children to be sickening and why would you adopt from china...there are plenty of kids needing adoption here....i guess you prefer imported children over native?

Global Issues: World Hunger and Poverty Facts and Statistics 2010

so on one thread you are going on about 'dont breed em if you cant feed them'

then on this thread you are all sad...

you cant have it both ways....boo fucking whoooo

The theory behind 'if you can't feed them, don't breed them' is more about practicing safe sex, not aborting a viable 8 month 'fetus'.

Who the hell, in their right mind, thinks it is okay to abort a child that can survive outside the womb. To anyone with a moral code, that's murder.

The theory behind 'if you can't feed them, don't breed them' is more about practicing safe sex, not aborting a viable 8 month 'fetus'.

Who the hell, in their right mind, thinks it is okay to abort a child that can survive outside the womb. To anyone with a moral code, that's murder.

Its not murder, its a 'procedure', and its legal :eek:

Its not murder, its a 'procedure', and its legal :eek:

Difficult subject, "life is saved at 23 weeks on one floor of the hospital, while it is ended at 24 weeks on another floor."

Warning: this program shows abortions:
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/d...es/4od#3073877

Forum List

Back