The look on this woman's face...

...tells the story about government dependence & their nanny unions...

Ohio’s union fight: What you need to know - The Washington Post

I can sense what she's thinking... "what am I going to do if I have to get a real job." Out of curiosity what are your feelings about government sponsored union jobs???

I like unions, I think they have a purpose within our society. The unions however need to control there own greed and selfishness, especially with regards to firing incompetence, or making the corporation that pays them to top heavy with retirement benifits.

I can sense what she's thinking... "what am I going to do if I have to get a real job." Out of curiosity what are your feelings about government sponsored union jobs???

Teaching is not a real job?

Teaching is a real job. Being a union-protected teacher thus immune to firing for bad performance is not a real job.

Those who can, do.
Those who can't, teach.

Those who can't teach, teach gym.
Those who can't teach gym, administrate

The teacher unions is a compromise of the critical element of their jobs. They are to be first for the children and their education. Sanctioning strikes, protecting the poor teachers is not in the best interest of their goal.

I feel with reforms in the works, teachers should be paid at a higher rate depending on their performance and the care for each student. But there is no reason they should burden the taxpayers with the demands that support absenteeism and protection of those teachers that are not producing the progress of each student.

That said, I would also recomend that teachers have "associations" that develop the best measures of those in the field so that teachers could be rewarded for excellence in their paycheck. Anyone can see that our education system is not doing the job, nor are parents who do not encourage their own children to accept authority figures, and have pride in their work and work habits. Exceptional education is a teamwork between home and school.

The teacher unions is a compromise of the critical element of their jobs. They are to be first for the children and their education. Sanctioning strikes, protecting the poor teachers is not in the best interest of their goal.

I

Albert Shanker, a head of the teacher's union many years ago, famously said, when kids start paying union dues we'll start representing their interests.
That's pretty much all we need to know about that topic.

limits collective bargaining rights for about 350,000 Ohio public workers

the right jsut loves to limit the rights of americans

Like the right in form a corporation to lobby for a political position?
Do you realize you might be the most reviled, least credible poster on this site?

Why should teachers have the right for bargaining when most employees have to depend on their talent and success in their own position? Does that seem fair?

No, it isn't. If you have posted here a while, you know that.

Disagreed. If one accepts that the future of our nation lies in our children and, therefore, our nation's greatest resource is our children, then teaching is not only a real job, but one of the most important jobs in the nation.

Glib comments aside, I'd like to hear your reasoning on why you think it isn't a real job.

No, it isn't. If you have posted here a while, you know that.

Disagreed. If one accepts that the future of our nation lies in our children and, therefore, our nation's greatest resource is our children, then teaching is not only a real job, but one of the most important jobs in the nation.

Glib comments aside, I'd like to hear your reasoning on why you think it isn't a real job.

She was being sarcastic.

Why should teachers have the right for bargaining when most employees have to depend on their talent and success in their own position? Does that seem fair?

Spoken like someone who lives in a fantasy land where that really happens.

The sad fact is that nepotism is real and it happens. I have seen a good, competent non-tenured teacher "let go" just so an administrator's neice who just graduated could be hired.

And pay raises would be based not on performance, but on who sucks up to the Principal, just like in the corporate, non-union world. Oh, you could say it would be "based on student scores" but we all know there are students who simply don't care and refuses to do the work. Who do you think makes up the roster of which teacher gets those students? That's right, the Principal.

Teacher Unions are not perfect. Reform is needed to make it easier to get rid of bad teachers. But without them the pay and benefits will suffer and quality of people applying for those jobs will go down.

Forum List

Back