The Longest War:

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
AFG-1.jpg

8 Years After My Last Deployment, I Returned To Afghanistan As A Reporter. Here’s What I Found

An interesting viewpoint from one who served 2 tours in that tortured country. Here are the highlights of his observations:

We’re not leaving Afghanistan… maybe ever.

Afghanistan is not really about Afghanistan.

In many ways, conditions have declined in recent years.

The coming year will probably be the bloodiest to date.

The U.S. military strategy finally makes sense.

Afghan special operations forces are the country’s best hope.

We can’t kill our way to stability.

I can’t deny that a lot has changed since the last time I was in Afghanistan though. The newest generation of Afghans is better equipped to lead their country to stability than their parents. They are eager to stand on their own feet, and that might well happen if they continue to have a partner in NATO. It will take decades; the results we hope to achieve are not possible without a long term commitment. But one thing seems clear: Afghans are motivated to take back their country, and talented enough to pull it off.

Very lengthy but very informative and quite well written @ 8 Years After My Last Deployment, I Returned To Afghanistan As A Reporter. Here’s What I Found

Why are we still there again?

Bin Laden is dead, Al Qaeda isn't even a thing anymore, and most of the Arabs have gone back to Arab countries...

So other than Trump having the embarrassment of having to be the guy to lose Afghanistan, what is the point of throwing more blood and treasure at this problem.

Man, our best have been going over there and dying for a long time now. :(

I don't think those farmer/cave dwellers are a threat to the US. (If we're not occupying their country).

Man, our best have been going over there and dying for a long time now. :(

I don't think those farmer/cave dwellers are a threat to the US. (If we're not occupying their country).

The problem is that, if we move out, the Taliban takes over and provides a haven for every terrorist group in the world. And watch how quick China and Russia fill the void.

The problem is that, if we move out, the Taliban takes over and provides a haven for every terrorist group in the world. And watch how quick China and Russia fill the void.

1) Works on the assumption the Taliban would make that mistake again.
2) Works on the assumption that there aren't a lot better places for the terrorist groups to go = Syria, Libya, Yemen, which are more hospitable.
3) Works on the assumption that China and Russia will really want to piss away the resources cleaning up our mess.

Still haven't seen a good excuse why we should continue to throw away lives there.

1) Works on the assumption the Taliban would make that mistake again.
2) Works on the assumption that there aren't a lot better places for the terrorist groups to go = Syria, Libya, Yemen, which are more hospitable.
3) Works on the assumption that China and Russia will really want to piss away the resources cleaning up our mess.

Still haven't seen a good excuse why we should continue to throw away lives there.

If JoeB said it, probably whatever's the opposite would be the right thing to do.

Okay, that would be all in your head.

Okay, you keep telling yourself that buddy. Just try to pretend that we both had the same point about the OP, but I actually thought the issue out.

Yes you did, to the wrong conclusion, as usual.

Just because you are too dumb to understand it, doesn't make it less true.

Have someone help you with the big words.

Okay, fucktard, we'll start with your first silly, asinine assumption that's totally not how it is, okay?

The Taliban are Muslims, and would welcome ISIS and all things mullah and Jihad with open arms.

Now go fuck yourself with a bat in your ear, you stupid fuck.

Ready for the next of your asinine assumptions?

AFG-1.jpg

8 Years After My Last Deployment, I Returned To Afghanistan As A Reporter. Here’s What I Found

An interesting viewpoint from one who served 2 tours in that tortured country. Here are the highlights of his observations:

We’re not leaving Afghanistan… maybe ever.

Afghanistan is not really about Afghanistan.

In many ways, conditions have declined in recent years.

The coming year will probably be the bloodiest to date.

The U.S. military strategy finally makes sense.

Afghan special operations forces are the country’s best hope.

We can’t kill our way to stability.

I can’t deny that a lot has changed since the last time I was in Afghanistan though. The newest generation of Afghans is better equipped to lead their country to stability than their parents. They are eager to stand on their own feet, and that might well happen if they continue to have a partner in NATO. It will take decades; the results we hope to achieve are not possible without a long term commitment. But one thing seems clear: Afghans are motivated to take back their country, and talented enough to pull it off.

Very lengthy but very informative and quite well written @ 8 Years After My Last Deployment, I Returned To Afghanistan As A Reporter. Here’s What I Found
All for nothing, other than enriching the war profiteers and empowering the central government.

War is the health of the state Always.

New Topics

Forum List

Back