CDZ The "Living Wage" Time Bomb

Your disingenuous self-righteousness is proven by the fact that YOU have tried to hijack MY OP on the LIVING WAGE issue by posting interminable filibustery regarding the MINIMUM WAGE.

In addition, your pretense of citing objective studies is transparently obvious. By indiscriminately mixing fact and conjecture, they only serve to reinforce your predetermined political beliefs. At the very least, you could acknowledge that there are equally authoritative studies that come to opposite conclusions:

The Evidence Is Piling Up That Higher Minimum Wages Kill Jobs

Red:
??? You expressly cited and impact of the minimum wage -- inflation -- in YOUR OP. To show the unassuredness of your claimed consequence of increasing the minimum wage and to show that there is not a link between employment wages and inflation, and that the link is between employment rates, that I wrote remarks I first shared in this thread. I also provided references that show that job loss is but one means employers have for managing wage hikes and that it is not at all a given that job cuts are the means employers will take to deal with mandated increases in wages.

The Law of Unintended Consequences:

Just as the laudable goal of Affordable Housing was the genesis of the mortgage meltdown, so is the generous idea of a Living Wage a recipe for inflation rates not seen since the 1970s. A rising tide lifts all boats, and substantially raising the minimum wage, without a corresponding increase in productivity, will inevitably lift other wages as well. With more dollars competing for the same goods and services, higher prices (inflation) will surely follow.

OK, I get it: You need reading glasses. The title subject of this thread is the "LIVING WAGE," which I referred to as "SUBSTANTIALLY RAISING THE MINIMUM WAGE WITHOUT A CORRESPONDING INCREASE IN PRODUCTIVITY." Is that easier to read now?

Your reactionary response was to mischaracterize my post as an attack on the entire concept of the minimum wage and then cite questionable studies which, by their own admission, only postulated the possible effects of modest and gradual increases thereof. The citation in my last post was, as stated, a reference to other studies that have come to opposite conclusions. Since you are apparently not interested in reading them, I can only conclude that you are a partisan ideologue who believes that obfuscation and misdirection are legitimate means of rebuttal.
  • The thread title does mention the "Living Wage," although that term alone is not the entirety of the tile.
  • I understood from the remarks in the OP's first "proper" paragraph the following:
    • The "Living Wage" is not currently the same sum mandated as the minimum wage.
    • The minimum wage would have to be increased so that its dollar-per-hour value is the same as that of the "Living Wage"
    • The impact you identified in the first paragraph -- causing inflation -- is what will, according to your remarks in the same paragraph, accrue from increasing the minimum wage so that it corresponds to the "Living Wage."
Therefore, it stands to reason that to arrive at a point whereby people are paid at least as much as the "Living Wage," an increase in the minimum wage must occur. Thus, I provided input that shows that the consequence -- inflation -- of doing so is far from a foregone conclusion.
Now, in your remarks above, you state that you "referred" to the "Living Wage" not as a thing, namely a wage, but rather an action, specifically the act of "substantially raising the minimum wage without a corresponding increase in productivity" So what is it? Is the "Living Wage" the act of raising the minimum wage..." or is it a wage?

Now, in your remarks above, you state that you "referred" to the "Living Wage" not as a thing, namely a wage, but rather an action, specifically the act of "substantially raising the minimum wage without a corresponding increase in productivity" So what is it? Is the "Living Wage" the act of raising the minimum wage..." or is it a wage?

$15+ per hour.

$15+ per hour.

Very well. It is a wage and not the act of raising the minimum wage. It's simply a higher wage than is currently mandated as the minimum wage. Accordingly, to the extent that the "Living Wage" is proposed or discussed as the lowest wage employers are permitted to pay workers, the economic research regarding the impact of increasing the minimum wage applies -- regardless of whether one calls that new, higher wage the "minimum wage" or the "Living Wage."

$15+ per hour.

Very well. It is a wage and not the act of raising the minimum wage. It's simply a higher wage than is currently mandated as the minimum wage. Accordingly, to the extent that the "Living Wage" is proposed or discussed as the lowest wage employers are permitted to pay workers, the economic research regarding the impact of increasing the minimum wage applies -- regardless of whether one calls that new, higher wage the "minimum wage" or the "Living Wage."

Nice word mincing. The Living Wage substantially raises the minimum wage on the basis of what it would theoretically cost a theoretical family to live on a theoretical budget, without any regard for worker productivity. From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need?

Why in earth would one pay more than a persons worth? When one establishes worth or value they command increase compensation above those of lesser contribution to retain their services. The issue as I see it is those that contribute little demand a "living wage" whereby possibly the underlining issue is opportunity, skill sets, coupled with ones desire to achieve. Mobility can never be legislated only mediocrity.

Forum List

Back