The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
I spotted this over Christmas, but only now figured I should post it. The Chronicles of Narnia are being made by Disney (technically, another company's making it, but Disney's bought up the rights and finances it, so their logo is on it). I'm quite excited in seeing the Chronicles of Narnia (one of C.S. Lewis's best works) come alive on the silver screen, and with much higher quality than the four that Wonderworks made, and MUCH better than the animated version (which sucked). The first one of them, "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" comes out this Christmas. At first, I was a bit worried about them. However, I found out that, first off, they're being done in the correct order (which I had guess when I found out about the first one), and second, that Weta Workshop, geniuses behind the visual effects in "The Lord of the Rings," is doing all of the visuals.

If anybody hasn't read these books, I highly recommend them. The target audience is about the 8-12 range, but they're quite good enough to keep an adult interested, though they're too short to keep one interested for more than about 3 hours each. There are 7, and the most recently publisher changed the order, so here I present the "correct" order, the order in which they were first published, along with a quick summary, but first a quick description of Narnia.

Narnia is a fantasy realm. It is quite Tolkienesque, as Lewis and Tolkien were quite good friends and bounced ideas off each other. In fact, Tolkien lead Lewis to Christ, but Narnia is not so Tolkienesque as most of the other fantasy that has come since. In Narnia, there exist many fantasy creatures. Centaurs, giants, dwarves, fauns, satyrs, and dryads are among the most notable. However, the most unique feature is the talking beasts who inhabit most of the land in the place of humans. Although there are some humans in Narnia, they are all men from our world who have stumbled there by magic. All 7 books are about children adventuring in key points of Narnian history, and all of them but one are about children who pop in there from our world. The funny thing is that no matter how long they spend in Narnia, they always re-emerge in our world at the exact time and place they left. Then, when they re-enter Narnia, any amount of time could have passed. So here are the books:

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe - Four children who stumble into Narnia find that they, largely with the help of the great lion, Aslan, must free the land from the rule of an evil witch, who holds the land in a permanent winter (with no Christmas) and petrifies her detractors.

Prince Caspian - The same four children are called back to Narnia a year later, only to find that hundreds of years have passed in Narnia and that the true king, a boy named Caspian, needs their help regaining power from his wicked uncle Miraz the Usurper, who wishes to kill him to esure that his own son takes the throne.

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - King Caspian sails east to find those lords who were exiled for loyalty to his father and the end of the world (for Narnia is actually flat), and is soon joined by the younger two of the four children and their bratty cousin.

The Silver Chair - The cousin and his schoolmate stumble away from bullies into Narnia to be sent on a quest by Aslan to rescue the now old King Caspian's son from an evil witch (not the same one).

The Horse and His Boy - A talking horse and an outcast prince save Narnia from invasion (honestly, the only part of this I remember now is the fact that it happens while the four children from the first book are still in Narnia).

The Magician's Nephew - Two school children come to Narnia through a world of many portals using magic rings just in time to see how Aslan created the world and gave speech to the animals. It also explains the origin of the White Witch, Jadis.

The Last Battle - The two children from "The Silver Chair" return to Narnia, and are later joined by all those children who entered before except the older girl from the first two books. The final battle against evil in Narnia commences and Aslan leads his people to paradise.

Each book, when analyzed, represents Biblical principles or a Biblical story, with a fascinating story to boot. They're great reads and I highly recommend them for any age.

New Topics

Forum List

Back