The Limitations of Literalism

Sky Dancer

Rookie
Jan 21, 2009
I'm of the opinon that metaphor and allegory are in most sacred scripture and that literalism limits spiritual teachings. Even Jesus thought so. He criticized the religious people of his day with these words:

“You search the scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness to me; yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life” (John 5:39-40)

He is saying it is possible to so bury one’s head in Scriptures as to miss the very thing to which Scripture is bearing witness –

What do you think?

Last edited:
I'm of the opinon that metaphor and allegory are in most sacred scripture and that literalism limits spiritual teachings. Even Jesus thought so. He criticized the religious people of his day with these words:

“You search the scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness to me; yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life” (John 5:39-40)

He is saying it is possible to so bury one’s head in Scriptures as to miss the very thing to which Scripture is bearing witness –

What do you think?

What Jesus is saying. IMO is the only way to the Father is through Him.

• Banned
I agree, CG. That's what I think Jesus was saying.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back