The Light Bulb LIVES!!!!

Mr.Fitnah

Dreamcrusher
Jul 14, 2009
Paradise.
Consumer protection organisations have demanded a suspension of the EU ban on incandescent light bulbs, citing official tests that showed the new compact fluorescent lamps to be dangerous if broken.
Bundesbank sees record growth in 2010 - Business & Money (3 Dec 10)
Germany's image suffers in EU amid debt crisis - Politics (2 Dec 10)
Investors eschew bonds amid eurozone crisis - Business & Money (1 Dec 10)
The energy saving bulbs show mercury levels 20 times higher than regulations allow in the air surrounding them for up to five hours after they are broken, according to tests released Thursday by the Federal Environment Agency (UBA).

“If the industry can’t manage to offer safe bulbs, then the incandescent bulbs must remain on the market until autumn of 2011,” said Gerd Billen, the leader of the Federation of German Consumer Organisations (VZVB).

His group encouraged the federal government to push for a suspension of the ban in Brussels until there was a safe and practical alternative.

“It can’t be that the state bans a safe product and replaces it with a dangerous one,” Billen said.

In September, the EU began phasing out incandescent light bulbs in a bid to save energy and protect the environment. Their replacements were meant to be the energy-saving bulbs such as compact fluorescent and LED lights. The complete phase-out of old light bulbs is to occur by 2012.

So far the UBA has tested just two types of lights.

“There was energy savings of up to 80 percent compared to incandescent bulbs, but this should come with safer products that have no avoidable health risks,” UBA President Jochen Flasbarth said, calling the mercury danger the “Achilles heel” of the energy saving bulbs.

Flasbarth recommended that consumers use energy saving bulbs with protective plastic casings in areas such as children’s rooms to avoid the danger in the short term.

Consumer groups call for end to EU light bulb ban - The Local

ANother nail on the coffin of the progressive movment

Three years after he led the charge to require consumers to ditch their comfortable old incandescent lights in favor of those twisty CFL bulbs, Rep. Fred Upton now wants to be the man to help undo that law as the next chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee. …
“We have heard the grass roots loud and clear, and will have a hearing early next Congress,” said Mr. Upton, a Michigan Republican who is facing several others in his party in a bid to earn the gavel of the powerful committee. “The last thing we wanted to do was infringe upon personal liberties – and this has been a good lesson that Congress does not always know best.”

Is Upton Walking Back His Support for Light Bulb Ban? | The Blaze

Consumer protection organisations have demanded a suspension of the EU ban on incandescent light bulbs, citing official tests that showed the new compact fluorescent lamps to be dangerous if broken.
The energy saving bulbs show mercury levels 20 times higher than regulations allow in the air surrounding them for up to five hours after they are broken, according to tests released Thursday by the Federal Environment Agency (UBA).

“If the industry can’t manage to offer safe bulbs, then the incandescent bulbs must remain on the market until autumn of 2011,” said Gerd Billen, the leader of the Federation of German Consumer Organisations (VZVB).

His group encouraged the federal government to push for a suspension of the ban in Brussels until there was a safe and practical alternative.

“It can’t be that the state bans a safe product and replaces it with a dangerous one,” Billen said.

In September, the EU began phasing out incandescent light bulbs in a bid to save energy and protect the environment. Their replacements were meant to be the energy-saving bulbs such as compact fluorescent and LED lights. The complete phase-out of old light bulbs is to occur by 2012.

“There was energy savings of up to 80 percent compared to incandescent bulbs, but this should come with safer products that have no avoidable health risks,” UBA President Jochen Flasbarth said, calling the mercury danger the “Achilles heel” of the energy saving bulbs.

Flasbarth recommended that consumers use energy saving bulbs with protective plastic casings in areas such as children’s rooms to avoid the danger in the short term.

Bullshit scare of the week. For one thing, how often do people "break" lightbulbs? Also, I replaced all of mine all over the house five years ago with the energy saving bulbs, and have had to replace only ONE since then--the one used most often over the stove finally burned out. And <gasp> it didn't break when I removed it. The only problem I've found with these bulbs is that they are too long for some of my lamps, with the very top part visible above the shade. But I deal with it. Surprise.

There's about as much risk of mercury poisoning using those bulbs as there is getting brain cancer from your cell phone. Another "the sky is falling" conjob blown to pieces. :lol:

Last edited:
Yes, but consider the number of burned out CFLs that will eventually populate local landfills. Consider the mercury in all those bulbs...

Personally, I can't stand the light provided by CFLs, I much prefer the incandescents. Throw in the fact that there is yet to be, to the best of my knowledge, an American manufacturer of CFLs...

I have considered trying an LED bulb, but at nearly $20.00 for one... I decided to pass, for now.

Yes, but consider the number of burned out CFLs that will eventually populate local landfills. Consider the mercury in all those bulbs...

Personally, I can't stand the light provided by CFLs, I much prefer the incandescents. Throw in the fact that there is yet to be, to the best of my knowledge, an American manufacturer of CFLs...

I have considered trying an LED bulb, but at nearly $20.00 for one... I decided to pass, for now.

I never paid more than $.99 each for mine. You have to watch the flyers. As for landfills, they should probably be disposed of the same way batteries are supposed to be. But does anyone actually do that either?

I'm not surprised no company here makes them. After all, it was a "green" idea, and we all know how "green" projects are treated in America: Like one big joke.

&#8220;If the industry can&#8217;t manage to offer safe bulbs, then the incandescent bulbs must remain on the market until autumn of 2011,&#8221; said Gerd Billen, the leader of the Federation of German Consumer Organisations (VZVB).

&#8220;It can&#8217;t be that the state bans a safe product and replaces it with a dangerous one,&#8221; Billen said.

&#8220;There was energy savings of up to 80 percent compared to incandescent bulbs, but this should come with safer products that have no avoidable health risks,&#8221; UBA President Jochen Flasbarth said, calling the mercury danger the &#8220;Achilles heel&#8221; of the energy saving bulbs.

Flasbarth recommended that consumers use energy saving bulbs with protective plastic casings in areas such as children&#8217;s rooms to avoid the danger in the short term.

Bullshit scare of the week. For one thing, how often do people "break" lightbulbs? Also, I replaced all of mine all over the house five years ago with the energy saving bulbs, and have had to replace only ONE since then--the one used most often over the stove finally burned out. And <gasp> it didn't break when I removed it. The only problem I've found with these bulbs is that they are too long for some of my lamps, with the very top part visible above the shade. But I deal with it. Surprise.

There's about as much risk of mercury poisoning using those bulbs as there is getting brain cancer from your cell phone. Another "the sky is falling" conjob blown to pieces. :lol:

Doesn't matter if it's only one. Here's what you have to do to clean it up.

What if I accidentally break a fluorescent lamp in my house?

cfl bulbs

The lamp contains a small amount of mercury, but you can clean this up yourself if you do the following:

* Do not use a vacuum cleaner to clean up the breakage. This will spread the mercury vapor and dust throughout the area and could potentially contaminate the vacuum.
* Keep people and pets away from the breakage area until the cleanup is complete.
* Ventilate the area by opening windows, and leave the area for 15 minutes before returning to begin the cleanup. Mercury vapor levels will be lower by then.
* For maximum protection and if you have them, wear rubber gloves to protect your hands from the sharp glass.
* Carefully remove the larger pieces and place them in a secure closed container, preferably a glass container with a metal screw top lid and seal like a canning jar.1 A glass jar with a good seal works best to contain any mercury vapors inside.2
* Next, begin collecting the smaller pieces and dust. You can use two stiff pieces of paper such as index cards or playing cards to scoop up pieces.
* Pat the area with the sticky side of duct tape, packing tape or masking tape to pick up fine particles. Wipe the area with a wet wipe or damp paper towel to pick up even finer particles.
* Put all waste and materials into the glass container, including all material used in the cleanup that may have been contaminated with mercury. Label the container as &#8220;Universal Waste - broken lamp.&#8221;
* Remove the container with the breakage and cleanup materials from your home. This is particularly important if you do not have a glass container.
* Continue ventilating the room for several hours.
* Wash your hands and face.
* Take the glass container with the waste material to a facility that accepts &#8220;universal waste&#8221; for recycling. To determine where your municipality has made arrangements for recycling of this type of waste, call your municipal office or find your town in this list municipal collection sites (MS Excel format) (pdf format).
* When a break happens on carpeting, homeowners may consider removing throw rugs or the area of carpet where the breakage occurred as a precaution, particularly if the rug is in an area frequented by infants, small children or pregnant women.
* Finally, if the carpet is not removed, open the window to the room during the next several times you vacuum the carpet to provide good ventilation.

The next time you replace a lamp, consider putting a drop cloth on the floor so that any accidental breakage can be easily cleaned up. If consumers remain concerned regarding safety, they may consider not utilizing fluorescent lamps in situations where they could easily be broken. Consumers may also consider avoiding CFL usage in bedrooms or carpeted areas frequented by infants, small children, or pregnant women. Finally, consider not storing too many used/spent lamps before recycling as that may increase your chances of breakage. Don&#8217;t forget to properly recycle your used fluorescent bulbs so they don&#8217;t break and put mercury into our environment.

http://www.maine.gov/dep/rwm/homeowner/cflbreakcleanup.htm

For one fucking light bulb. :cuckoo:

Good news from the OP: Even the EU might be coming to their senses, in their own convoluted bureaucratic way.

Bad news from the OP: My future as a provider of black market light bulbs is a little "dimmer". (though at least I have my own personal lifetime supply)

I much prefer incandescents. Much.

But the every-intrusive government has decided to take Choice from me.

Thats what I hate.... Let me make up my own mind and the free market will decide if incandescents survive or not.

I've tried those stupid CFL's and they SUCK!

LED's are the way togo IMO. I have them in my trucks, and HID's in the headlights... they work great, but are very expensive still.

Last edited:

Doesn't matter if it's only one. Here's what you have to do to clean it up.

What if I accidentally break a fluorescent lamp in my house?

cfl bulbs

The lamp contains a small amount of mercury, but you can clean this up yourself if you do the following:

* Do not use a vacuum cleaner to clean up the breakage. This will spread the mercury vapor and dust throughout the area and could potentially contaminate the vacuum.
* Keep people and pets away from the breakage area until the cleanup is complete.
* Ventilate the area by opening windows, and leave the area for 15 minutes before returning to begin the cleanup. Mercury vapor levels will be lower by then.
* For maximum protection and if you have them, wear rubber gloves to protect your hands from the sharp glass.
* Carefully remove the larger pieces and place them in a secure closed container, preferably a glass container with a metal screw top lid and seal like a canning jar.1 A glass jar with a good seal works best to contain any mercury vapors inside.2
* Next, begin collecting the smaller pieces and dust. You can use two stiff pieces of paper such as index cards or playing cards to scoop up pieces.
* Pat the area with the sticky side of duct tape, packing tape or masking tape to pick up fine particles. Wipe the area with a wet wipe or damp paper towel to pick up even finer particles.
* Put all waste and materials into the glass container, including all material used in the cleanup that may have been contaminated with mercury. Label the container as “Universal Waste - broken lamp.”
* Remove the container with the breakage and cleanup materials from your home. This is particularly important if you do not have a glass container.
* Continue ventilating the room for several hours.
* Wash your hands and face.
* Take the glass container with the waste material to a facility that accepts “universal waste” for recycling. To determine where your municipality has made arrangements for recycling of this type of waste, call your municipal office or find your town in this list municipal collection sites (MS Excel format) (pdf format).
* When a break happens on carpeting, homeowners may consider removing throw rugs or the area of carpet where the breakage occurred as a precaution, particularly if the rug is in an area frequented by infants, small children or pregnant women.
* Finally, if the carpet is not removed, open the window to the room during the next several times you vacuum the carpet to provide good ventilation.

The next time you replace a lamp, consider putting a drop cloth on the floor so that any accidental breakage can be easily cleaned up. If consumers remain concerned regarding safety, they may consider not utilizing fluorescent lamps in situations where they could easily be broken. Consumers may also consider avoiding CFL usage in bedrooms or carpeted areas frequented by infants, small children, or pregnant women. Finally, consider not storing too many used/spent lamps before recycling as that may increase your chances of breakage. Don’t forget to properly recycle your used fluorescent bulbs so they don’t break and put mercury into our environment.

What if I accidentally break a fluorescent lamp in my house?, Maine State Department of Environmntal Proteciton, Bureau of Remediation and Waste Management, Maine Department of Environmental Protection

For one fucking light bulb. :cuckoo:

Interesting. I wonder why I never got sick (and am very much alive and kicking) after the time I was trying to replace a fluorescent bulb (one of those long skinny ones) over my bathroom sink which was much too high to reach without a stepladder, but I attempted it anyway, and it crashed into the sink (not even as far as the floor!). I got the vacuum out and sucked it up, and it stayed in the vacuum bag for lord knows how long after that. Sorry, but I think this is one of those situations where the amount of mercury that escapes would need to be multiplied by a huge amount in order to be a health risk. In fact, I offer this:

Mercury disposal sole health concern with fluorescent lights -- Kondro 177 (2): 136 -- Canadian Medical Association Journal

interesting. I wonder why i never got sick (and am very much alive and kicking) after the time i was trying to replace a fluorescent bulb (one of those long skinny ones) over my bathroom sink which was much too high to reach without a stepladder, but i attempted it anyway, and it crashed into the sink (not even as far as the floor!). I got the vacuum out and sucked it up, and it stayed in the vacuum bag for lord knows how long after that. Sorry, but i think this is one of those situations where the amount of mercury that escapes would need to be multiplied by a huge amount in order to be a health risk. In fact, i offer this:

mercury disposal sole health concern with fluorescent lights -- kondro 177 (2): 136 -- canadian medical association journal

you are a lot sicker then you think.

interesting. I wonder why i never got sick (and am very much alive and kicking) after the time i was trying to replace a fluorescent bulb (one of those long skinny ones) over my bathroom sink which was much too high to reach without a stepladder, but i attempted it anyway, and it crashed into the sink (not even as far as the floor!). I got the vacuum out and sucked it up, and it stayed in the vacuum bag for lord knows how long after that. Sorry, but i think this is one of those situations where the amount of mercury that escapes would need to be multiplied by a huge amount in order to be a health risk. In fact, i offer this:

mercury disposal sole health concern with fluorescent lights -- kondro 177 (2): 136 -- canadian medical association journal

you are a lot sicker then you think.

Are you my physician? I've been doing a lot of things my entire life that every now and then some advocate will make headlines by saying I could die because of. And I'm still here. I've eaten strawberries directly from the plants in the field; picked up a piece of toast with peanut butter that had dropped to the floor and proceeded to eat it. As a child, I went barefoot all summer, except when it rained. You know--all those things that some parents would back away from IN HORROR if they saw their child doing it. I smoked all through 9 months of pregnancy, and my children were subjected to a household full of smoke, and "miraculously" remained healthy. I had one son die in a car accident who was wearing a seatbelt, but you never hear about people who die in crashes that WERE using seatbelts--only those who were not.

Are you getting my gist? On many similar issues, I happen to agree that there is too much OVER protection by regulation, but on this particular one, I think it's much ado about nothing and of course promoted by right wingers ONLY because it's a small part of the global warming issue which is automatically an anti-issue by the right. Politicizing light bulbs. Imagine that...

Banning the incandescent bulb in favor of mercury poisoning CFLs is just as stupid as burning Food For Fuel.

Just sayin'.

You made my day Fitnah! :):):):):)

Forum List

Back