The Light Bulb LIVES!!!!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr.Fitnah, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Mr.Fitnah

Mr.Fitnah Dreamcrusher

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,673
    Consumer protection organisations have demanded a suspension of the EU ban on incandescent light bulbs, citing official tests that showed the new compact fluorescent lamps to be dangerous if broken.
    Bundesbank sees record growth in 2010 - Business & Money (3 Dec 10)
    Germany's image suffers in EU amid debt crisis - Politics (2 Dec 10)
    Investors eschew bonds amid eurozone crisis - Business & Money (1 Dec 10)
    The energy saving bulbs show mercury levels 20 times higher than regulations allow in the air surrounding them for up to five hours after they are broken, according to tests released Thursday by the Federal Environment Agency (UBA).

“If the industry can’t manage to offer safe bulbs, then the incandescent bulbs must remain on the market until autumn of 2011,” said Gerd Billen, the leader of the Federation of German Consumer Organisations (VZVB).

His group encouraged the federal government to push for a suspension of the ban in Brussels until there was a safe and practical alternative.

“It can’t be that the state bans a safe product and replaces it with a dangerous one,” Billen said.

In September, the EU began phasing out incandescent light bulbs in a bid to save energy and protect the environment. Their replacements were meant to be the energy-saving bulbs such as compact fluorescent and LED lights. The complete phase-out of old light bulbs is to occur by 2012.

So far the UBA has tested just two types of lights.

“There was energy savings of up to 80 percent compared to incandescent bulbs, but this should come with safer products that have no avoidable health risks,” UBA President Jochen Flasbarth said, calling the mercury danger the “Achilles heel” of the energy saving bulbs.

Flasbarth recommended that consumers use energy saving bulbs with protective plastic casings in areas such as children’s rooms to avoid the danger in the short term.

Consumer groups call for end to EU light bulb ban - The Local

ANother nail on the coffin of the progressive movment

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Mr.Fitnah

Mr.Fitnah Dreamcrusher

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,673
    Three years after he led the charge to require consumers to ditch their comfortable old incandescent lights in favor of those twisty CFL bulbs, Rep. Fred Upton now wants to be the man to help undo that law as the next chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee. …
    “We have heard the grass roots loud and clear, and will have a hearing early next Congress,” said Mr. Upton, a Michigan Republican who is facing several others in his party in a bid to earn the gavel of the powerful committee. “The last thing we wanted to do was infringe upon personal liberties – and this has been a good lesson that Congress does not always know best.”

Is Upton Walking Back His Support for Light Bulb Ban? | The Blaze

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    Bullshit scare of the week. For one thing, how often do people "break" lightbulbs? Also, I replaced all of mine all over the house five years ago with the energy saving bulbs, and have had to replace only ONE since then--the one used most often over the stove finally burned out. And <gasp> it didn't break when I removed it. The only problem I've found with these bulbs is that they are too long for some of my lamps, with the very top part visible above the shade. But I deal with it. Surprise.

There's about as much risk of mercury poisoning using those bulbs as there is getting brain cancer from your cell phone. Another "the sky is falling" conjob blown to pieces. :lol:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  4. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,122
    Yes, but consider the number of burned out CFLs that will eventually populate local landfills. Consider the mercury in all those bulbs...

Personally, I can't stand the light provided by CFLs, I much prefer the incandescents. Throw in the fact that there is yet to be, to the best of my knowledge, an American manufacturer of CFLs...

I have considered trying an LED bulb, but at nearly $20.00 for one... I decided to pass, for now.

5. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    I never paid more than $.99 each for mine. You have to watch the flyers. As for landfills, they should probably be disposed of the same way batteries are supposed to be. But does anyone actually do that either?

I'm not surprised no company here makes them. After all, it was a "green" idea, and we all know how "green" projects are treated in America: Like one big joke.

6. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,124
    Doesn't matter if it's only one. Here's what you have to do to clean it up.

http://www.maine.gov/dep/rwm/homeowner/cflbreakcleanup.htm

For one fucking light bulb. :cuckoo:

7. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    I much prefer incandescents. Much.

But the ever-intrusive government has decided to take Choice from me.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  8. Ragnar

Ragnar <--- Pic is not me

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Good news from the OP: Even the EU might be coming to their senses, in their own convoluted bureaucratic way.

Bad news from the OP: My future as a provider of black market light bulbs is a little "dimmer". (though at least I have my own personal lifetime supply)

9. The Infidel

The Infidel EVIL CONSERVATIVE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,173
    Thats what I hate.... Let me make up my own mind and the free market will decide if incandescents survive or not.

I've tried those stupid CFL's and they SUCK!

LED's are the way togo IMO. I have them in my trucks, and HID's in the headlights... they work great, but are very expensive still.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  10. Mr.Fitnah

Mr.Fitnah Dreamcrusher

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,673