The life of a non-combat veteran

Firehorse

Free Thinker
Sep 4, 2011
It never fails on the Sunday prior to Veterans Day that the chuch I go to asked the Veterans in the congrigation to stand so they could be honored. I served my stint in the Navy so my daughters emplore me to stand.

The pew that we sit in places me directly behind a dear elderly man named Charles Menchew, also a vet. He served with Patton, faught during the battle of the bulge and recieved various medals and accomidations. He stands directly in front of me. I stand 6'5 he may stand 6' if his dress shoes have a high enough heel, but to me. I feel about as small as a mouse

I'm very proud of my service, I enjoyed my time in the service ... However ....

There is no possible reason that I should be honored in the same fashion as that great man standing in the pew in front of me.

I don't know what to do in such cases. I honor me service by standing, but seem to be utterly insignificant standing in that situation

How do some of you handle this situation?

It never fails on the Sunday prior to Veterans Day that the chuch I go to asked the Veterans in the congrigation to stand so they could be honored. I served my stint in the Navy so my daughters emplore me to stand.

The pew that we sit in places me directly behind a dear elderly man named Charles Menchew, also a vet. He served with Patton, faught during the battle of the bulge and recieved various medals and accomidations. He stands directly in front of me. I stand 6'5 he may stand 6' if his dress shoes have a high enough heel, but to me. I feel about as small as a mouse

There is no possible reason that I should be honored in the same fashion as that great man standing in the pew in front of me.

I don't know what to do in such cases. I honor me service by standing, but seem to be utterly insignificant standing in that situation

Easy.

I don't go to churches that make me stand up and indentify myself as a veteran.

Did you dishonor the uniform in which you served our nation? No. Therefore, whether you saw combat or not, you earned our thanks. Thank you.

No one chooses their lot in war. It comes. I also thank you for your protection and think that your honor to your daughters is every bit as deserved as his.

You are too busy counting dimes firehorse. You're a gold piece. So is he.

• Thanks
Reactions: del

You served your country honorably, you should get the recognition.

Personally, I would just make it a point to sit elsewhere on the sunday before Veterans day, so the WW2 vet is duly noticed when asked to stand.

Ropey said it well; it's orders and fate, not ourselves, that put us where we were. We all served our country, we all stood our watch, or kept our post, in battle or in peacetime. I served in combat, and I'm proud of it; proud, but humbled, too. I've never met a combat vet who thought he was a hero. The truth is, we are the survivors, the lucky ones. Sometimes, we are awed too, in the presence of those who did incredibly heroic things in battle, of those who sacrificed more than we did; at the graves of those who gave everything, and yes, in the presence of those who gave a lifetime of service, instead of a few short years. In the end, it doesn't really matter; there is no measuring stick for devotion to Duty, Honor, and Country; in that, we are all the same, and that is what matters.

Now, I might rag you for being a squid, or someone else for being a coastie or a zoomie, or a REMF, but that's just friendly rivalry; the reality is, that any of us could have been in the place of any other. Those who have been at the tip of the spear, could not have done what they did, without those backing them up, and nothing they did would have mattered, if there had not been someone else to pass the watch, or the post to, when our time of service was done.

So, on Veterans Day, this combat vet would be honored to to have you standing beside, behind or in front of him, and I'm willing to bet the man you mention feels the same way. Stand tall, stand proud, stand unashamed, for that day is yours, every bit as much as it is ours.

I would not stand (I do not stand or count myself amongst heroes) I do not display anything in my house that says I am in the military nor do I go out of my way to tell people about my service. It is what it is.

I feel guilt for not having to deploy to Iraq/A-Stan.

I recognize that my views on military service put me in a very small minority.

You can try to explain how you feel to your daughters, they will not understand. I do. Don't stand.

Take care.

You served - he served.

Same same.

If he served with Patton, he's probably in his 90's

I'm surprised he's able to stand without a walker.

They are recognizing veterans and you are one. I would bet the old timer does not mind if you stand with him.

I know a retired Army colonel who landed at Normandy on 6 Jun 44. He was a graduate of the first infantry officer's course at Ft. Benning. He's in his 90s and still goes to the gym and drives a car. He is a gem of a man and a national treasure. I'm sure that people like this appreciate the service of others, regardless of duties performed.

Last edited:
You served and therefore you are a veteran. Accept the gratitude of others for your service. You should not be ashamed of your service. I am sure that if called upon for a greater role, you would have fulfilled your duty. You did what your country asked of you - therefore, you deserve our thanks and you deserve to be congratulated for it.

As many here know I am currently the Commander of my local American Legion post. The qualifications for being a member of the American Legion is that you must have served at least one day on active duty during a time of war. Doesn't say a thing about being in combat. And personally if I could I would open up membership to all veterans. Once you don the uniform you have no idea if a war will start tomorrow or if we'll find 1000 years of peace............

I have fired at funerals of many a veteran, and I never once asked if they were a combat vet.......

Just for kicks firehorse, what religious denomination do you recognize and what era and what ship did you serve on while you were in the Navy?

I've seen your posts firehorse. I'm betting you never spent a minute in a Christian church or a day in Military service.

As many here know I am currently the Commander of my local American Legion post. The qualifications for being a member of the American Legion is that you must have served at least one day on active duty during a time of war. Doesn't say a thing about being in combat. And personally if I could I would open up membership to all veterans. Once you don the uniform you have no idea if a war will start tomorrow or if we'll find 1000 years of peace............

I have fired at funerals of many a veteran, and I never once asked if they were a combat vet.......

Nice post Ollie.

Just for kicks firehorse, what religious denomination do you recognize and what era and what ship did you serve on while you were in the Navy?

I attend a Methodist Church about halfway between Dallas and Sheveport

I was in VA-81 (A-7's and then after switching to F/A-18's) VFA-81's out of Cecil Field, FL betwwen the years of 85-89. I actually did participate in military action, but it was against Gaddaffie's "Line in the Sea" drama that saw us destroy a few radar sites. I completed two Med Cruises during my service (Both on the Saratoga), recieved an honorable discharge.

What about you?

Or are you one of those "dont ask, dont tell" people? I got nothing to hide

I attend a Methodist Church about halfway between Dallas and Sheveport

I was in VA-81 (A-7's and then after switching to F/A-18's) VFA-81's out of Cecil Field, FL betwwen the years of 85-89. I actually did participate in military action, but it was against Gaddaffie's "Line in the Sea" drama that saw us destroy a few radar sites. I completed two Med Cruises during my service (Both on the Saratoga), recieved an honorable discharge.

What about you?

Or are you one of those "dont ask, dont tell" people? I got nothing to hide

Hello firehorse, I was at the Cecil Field clinic from 92-95. It was a great duty station. The station showed up on the BRAC closure list while I was there. What a sad day.

Easy.

I don't go to churches that make me stand up and indentify myself as a veteran.

Nobody in the service gets to choose whether they deploy or not or where they go, I have some friends that were in the service that never left the States and I deployed to the Middle East twice but I don't view their service any less than mine, we all signed up to put our lives on the line for our country. You should be proud of yourself and your service. :salute:

Hello firehorse, I was at the Cecil Field clinic from 92-95. It was a great duty station. The station showed up on the BRAC closure list while I was there. What a sad day.

It was a nice base I thought. I was there when it snowed, my first "snow" ... it was fun. Didnt really like that it seemed to rain everyday 3:15pm for 15 minutes, but then i guess thats just how FL weather is.

I have a lot of fond memoeris of the place. I had heard that it had closed. But as i was attached to the Squadron (detatchments and cruises and all), it didnt have the same impact with me. Seeing the "Super Sara" go into deep sleep was a sad day for me. She was an old girl, but still "my girl" you know?

Funny thing about the Sara, my father who served in the Navy on a carrier as well was in the military in mid '60s ... He was stationed on a newer carrier then I was (Kitty Hawk CV-63)

Forum List

Back