The Life and Times of Bil Stunbmun

Uncensored2008

Libertarian Radical
Feb 8, 2011
Behind the Orange Curtain
It sounds better to be born in Benbow than Stockton; nevertheless I was actually born in Stockton, California. I made up for this shortcoming by growing up mostly in Benbow. If I had not had the presence of mind to grow up in Benbow and had instead grown up in Stockton, I may have never developed into the man I am.

I don’t remember much of my childhood, actually I don’t remember much before last weekend. (Friday night was a total bash!)

My mother was Tulsy Sae, a truly great Stockton girl and the subject of much literature prior to this. While many might critique earlier literature about Tulsy Sae as being redundant and derivative, being that the majority of it started with “for a good time call,” I trust the reader will find this section on her to be a bit more fulfilling. (Though this is fully debatable.)

My father is Loof, which I always thought to be a Viking name. Loof Stunbmun wasn’t quite Leif Ericson, but it was close enough for me. Besides, Tulsy was never all that certain that Loof was my father anyway. No matter what the circumstances, soon after I was born at the Roseville flea market and auction, Tulsy and Loof hitchhiked up to Benbow in Humboldt County. Loof wanted to be a farmer and grow crops for people at both Humboldt State and my eventual alma mater, UC Berkley. The rumors were that there was lots of unpatrolled national forest available for budding farmers.

Growing up in Benbow was cool, actually in the winter it was downright cold. We lived in a roomy tent and I spent my days playing among the crops, at least when I was small. When I got older there was the danger of fishhooks. But while I was less than 4’ tall, running through the stalks kept me well below the trawl lines Loof had strung.

Nights were the best; Tulsy would sit in her rocker and read to me. Her rocker was actually one of those folding directors’ chairs, but one of the legs was bent so it tended to rock, side to side. She knew that education was important, so she mostly read my favorite children’s book, the Watergate congressional investigative committee transcripts. It got so I nearly memorized them, snug in my sleeping bag with my faithful dog, Expletive Deleted sitting at the edge of the bag.

Life on a farm is a lot of hard work. There is the care the plants, watering and trimming; though Tulsy did most of the trimming, which often angered Loof. We also had to put up the nets whenever we heard a helicopter flying near. Expletive Deleted prowled around protecting us from intruders, as a good Rottweiler is known to do. It was like something out of “Little House on the Prairie.” A picturesque scene with Loof out tending the crops, no shirt and in a straw hat among the towering red woods, AK47 slung over his shoulder and singing folk tunes about peace and love.

We weren’t really poor, Loof seemed to make good money selling his crops to the kids at Berkley and Humboldt. But Loof was a patriot and donated most of our money to the Army. Loof was dedicated to Simbianese Liberation. Loof also seemed to perceive that Global Warming was going to be a problem, because he gave lots of money to the Weathermen as well. So we would supplement the AFDC Tulsy was getting by going into Benbow and pan handling. Tulsy knew she was teaching me a skill I would use my entire life. Tulsy explained that many of the men would give her money when she didn’t wear a bra. To this day, if I’m pan handling, I make sure I don’t wear a bra.

I always did well in school, learning early that the key to success was to recite precisely what the teachers instructed us in without fumbling around with concepts. While other kids were concerned with things like the Apollo program, I wrote on the glories of Sputnik, which made me the darling of the public schools. The teachers would marvel at the array of Che Guevera shirts I wore, further endearing me to them. It didn’t hurt that I would share some of Loof’s crops with the teachers, either. I was well adjusted and got along well with my peers. They would always reserve a spot under the bleachers for me at break and lunch time. I shared Loof’s crops with my fellow students too.

After high school I was admitted to the University of California at Berkley. I was the first kid in California history to get into Berkley with SAT’s under 700. It turns out that the THC score is more important than SAT’s.

I knew that I wanted my education to be meaningful; something vital to the entire world. So naturally I majored in the migration patterns of Peruvian Sea Cucumbers; eventually earning a PhD. in this important field of study. I honestly believe that few endeavors would have served my goals as thoroughly as the study of Sea Slugs. Since Sea Cucumbers only move a couple of inches a month, this field left me sufficient time to achieve enlightenment with the professors of Berkley. Dr. Tim was just the best. He held classes, with full credit, on the San Francisco pier which consisted of nothing more than eating sugar cubes. Dr. Tim said the sugar cubes were reality and the rest of the world was an illusion. Dr. Tim was on the board evaluating my doctoral dissertation, which is a good thing because I don’t think other professors would understand how I could observe Technicolor slug trails of Peruvian Sea Cucumbers from a pier in San Francisco. Dr. Tim just said; “groovy, man” and then ate another sugar cube. Dr. Tim definitely saw trails.

This isn’t to say that my life has been free of hardship, like most people I have suffered losses. One of the most tragic moments was when I lost my beloved dog, Expletive Deleted. I wasn’t there, I was off at college. But what I understand is that Expletive was a hero. Forest Rangers stumbled upon Loof’s crops and Expletive quickly moved to protect the farm. 100 pounds of Rottweiler charging can be a daunting sight, but apparently an M16 is more effective. Expletive’s heroic actions allowed Loof and Tulsy to avoid embarrassing questions by the Feds, though.

I also learned the important lesson of redistribution of wealth from this as our tent was taken for a more needy family. After the Rangers were through, nearly all of our possessions were tagged for this impoverished family. I have no doubt that the “Evidence” family had far greater need than we, or at least that’s what Tulsy told me. From this I learned that the government is right to take from some by force to give to others whom they deem more worthy. I missed Expletive Deleted, but soon we got a cute little Pit Bull who I named “Redacted,” also from my favorite childhood book.

After this I moved on campus full time. Academia was the perfect environment for my pursuits. Late nights debating the nuance of Marxian theory with the Dean’s while eating Dr. Tim’s sugar cubes helped to shape my political and philosophical views. Most of the Berkley staff had never held a job in the private sector and views such bourgeois pursuits as repugnant. I vowed then and there to never work a day in my life. So I registered with the Democratic Party and dedicated myself to being a professional student. Federal financial aid means never having to say “are you hiring?”

Campus life was all I ever dreamed of. Between takeovers of the administration buildings and the Friday night sit-ins, I led a busy life. While some may think that this was a waste of time, since the US had been out of Vietnam for years by that time, still the megaphone time was good practice.

Political activism is a long tradition among the Stunbmuns. Some of my earliest memories are the “Impeach Nixon” rallies the family attended. Loof would take lots of crops to these rallies – and we would have pizza on the way home. Tulsy said that Nixon was a criminal for getting us into Vietnam. Tulsy loved Lyndon Johnson since he gave us lots of welfare money. Nixon gave us welfare too, but since he started the war in Vietnam against the peaceful Vietcong and the enlightened North, Tulsy hated him.

So it was from this background that I found my true calling as a political activist. When Jimmy Carter arrived on the scene I knew that he was poised to be one of the greatest men on the planet. Not since Neville Chamberlain had a man of Carter’s stature been present in politics. I reveled in the inspiring speeches detailing how our eventual loss to the Soviet Union was inevitable. This filled me with pride as I dreamed of living the lifestyle of Bulgarians. And honestly, that whole thing about waiting in line for six hours to get a roll of toilet paper didn’t bother me – we rarely used the stuff up in Benbow anyway. Carter inspired America with the same feelings as he inspired me with, visions of Soviet tanks on the border of East Germany poised to swoop in and crush the NATO imperialists were eloquently painted by Jimmy. Not until much later, under the wisdom of Barack Obama could America be so certain of collapse and failure than with a Carter speech.

I was the head of the “Carter Re-election club” at Berkley. I figured I’d get an early start since the “Young Democrats” already had a leader for the “Elect Carter” club. I like being in charge. I admit, it was a pretty small club; even four years later.

To my never ending joy, Carter won the presidency. I was never bothered by the complaints of double digit unemployment, since I had already vowed to never be employed. President Carter shared my vision and wanted to extend it to other Americans. Carter moved quickly to undo the mistakes we had made in the first three quarters of the century. As Soviet tanks rolled into Afghanistan, the imperialist armaments in the USA were dismantled. While the evil Ronald Reagan was touring the nation preaching “Peace through strength,” Carter taught the more enlightened lesson of “pacifism through subservience.”

The late 70’s were a blur for me, partly due to Dr. Tim’s sugar cubes, but also because of the serenity offered by President Carter. Carter created a national time of meditation where Americans would spend hours contemplating their lives as they waited to get gas. Some resented the gas lines and the rationing, but I understood the brilliance of President Carter’s program of spiritual enlightenment. I personally helped with many people’s spiritual development, using a rubber hose and a gas can and thereby offering them extra meditation time.

I've been there. My brother went to the University of the Pacific, in Stockton, California, for his undergrad work. Beautiful campus. :thup:

Forum List

Back