The Lies of History

Dalia

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2016
France
This thread will be about some of the lies of history

I start with this one

Christopher Columbus was certainly not the first to discover America! Indeed, many people made the trip before him, preceding it about half a millennium ...

In the IXth century AD, the Vikings (a people living between Denmark, Norway and present-day Sweden) launched themselves into the assault of many countries in Europe. Taking advantage of the weakness of the royal power in France, since the death of Charlemagne, they invaded Normandy; penetrated into England; attacked the coasts of Spain and Russia, and sailed as far as Sicily.
Thereafter, the Vikings discovered Iceland, about the year 860. A few years later, the Icelandic Gunnbjorn Ulfsson discovered that there was land, to the northwest of the island.
In 980, the navigator Eirikr Thorvaldsson, nicknamed Erik the Red because he had red hair, was banished from Iceland, following a case of murder (he had already been banned from Norway). The latter decided to go and explore the unknown lands, which happened to be Greenland. He remained three years in this country, then returned to Iceland to search for settlers to occupy this new land. In 985, Erik was able to return to Greenland, accompanied by numerous settlers. After exploring the eastern part of the country, Erik decided to discover the western part. The two settlements (baptized Establishment of the East and Establishment of the West) established in the country were prosperous, and attracted thousands of Icelanders.

However, the impetuous Vikings could not help but continue exploring. Bjarni Herjulfsson, one of Erik's companions, realized in 986 that there was an unknown land in the southwest of Greenland.
It was on these indications that Leif Eriksson, the son of Erik the Red, decided to mount a new expedition, accompanied by about thirty men. Following the path indicated, the Vikings then discovered new territories. The first was christened Helluland (meaning 'land of flat stone'), because of the glaciers that were there. Leif decided not to settle in these inhospitable lands (probably in the northern part of Labrador, Canada), and went further south. He then passed by a country he called Markland, 'the land of forests' (southern Labrador). Finally, arriving near Newfoundland, Leif decided to land, and baptized the country Vinland (indeed, the Vikings found many vines in this region).

Map of the fifteenth century, drawn from an original of the XIII ° century.

Subsequently, other expeditions took place, but they did not bear fruit. The Vikings, attacked by the natives, whom they called Skraelings (meaning 'lean and skeletal'), could not continue to colonize the region.

For a long time it was thought that Leif's journey to North America was only a legend. Indeed, the adventure had inspired many sagas, which were evidently too fictional.
Then, during the 19th century, the remains of Scandinavian-type dwellings were discovered in Greenland during archaeological excavations. Subsequently, during the 20th century, the same type of dwelling was discovered at Anse aux Meadows (the northern tip of the island of Newfoundland).

However, did the Vikings stop in Newfoundland, or did they go further south? Moreover, one might even wonder why they would not have attempted the journey, when one knows the adventurous spirit of this people. Are they at the origin of the myth of Quetzalcoalt, the 'bearded white god', which permeated the pre-Columbian peoples, and whose return was to cause their loss? Today, no archaeological excavation can support the hypothesis of a journey to the South.
http://www.histoire-fr.com

The Vikings were at least 1500 years late to be first. There is at least one US stele in Minoan A. If you have checked your DNA you should find a north American thread about Indian ancestry populated almost exclusively by those of Cherokee descent.

For what as to do with my DNA ,

I am mixed, my mother her father was Iroquois, her French mother, my father is of Scottish origin but his mother was French. I have white skin red hair green eyes but all my family have brown eyes and dark hair. I am an exception as I am the only French person here.

I start with this one

Christopher Columbus was certainly not the first to discover America! Indeed, many people made the trip before him, preceding it about half a millennium ...

In the IXth century AD, the Vikings (a people living between Denmark, Norway and present-day Sweden) launched themselves into the assault of many countries in Europe. Taking advantage of the weakness of the royal power in France, since the death of Charlemagne, they invaded Normandy; penetrated into England; attacked the coasts of Spain and Russia, and sailed as far as Sicily.
Thereafter, the Vikings discovered Iceland, about the year 860. A few years later, the Icelandic Gunnbjorn Ulfsson discovered that there was land, to the northwest of the island.
In 980, the navigator Eirikr Thorvaldsson, nicknamed Erik the Red because he had red hair, was banished from Iceland, following a case of murder (he had already been banned from Norway). The latter decided to go and explore the unknown lands, which happened to be Greenland. He remained three years in this country, then returned to Iceland to search for settlers to occupy this new land. In 985, Erik was able to return to Greenland, accompanied by numerous settlers. After exploring the eastern part of the country, Erik decided to discover the western part. The two settlements (baptized Establishment of the East and Establishment of the West) established in the country were prosperous, and attracted thousands of Icelanders.

However, the impetuous Vikings could not help but continue exploring. Bjarni Herjulfsson, one of Erik's companions, realized in 986 that there was an unknown land in the southwest of Greenland.
It was on these indications that Leif Eriksson, the son of Erik the Red, decided to mount a new expedition, accompanied by about thirty men. Following the path indicated, the Vikings then discovered new territories. The first was christened Helluland (meaning 'land of flat stone'), because of the glaciers that were there. Leif decided not to settle in these inhospitable lands (probably in the northern part of Labrador, Canada), and went further south. He then passed by a country he called Markland, 'the land of forests' (southern Labrador). Finally, arriving near Newfoundland, Leif decided to land, and baptized the country Vinland (indeed, the Vikings found many vines in this region).

Subsequently, other expeditions took place, but they did not bear fruit. The Vikings, attacked by the natives, whom they called Skraelings (meaning 'lean and skeletal'), could not continue to colonize the region.

For a long time it was thought that Leif's journey to North America was only a legend. Indeed, the adventure had inspired many sagas, which were evidently too fictional.
Then, during the 19th century, the remains of Scandinavian-type dwellings were discovered in Greenland during archaeological excavations. Subsequently, during the 20th century, the same type of dwelling was discovered at Anse aux Meadows (the northern tip of the island of Newfoundland).

However, did the Vikings stop in Newfoundland, or did they go further south? Moreover, one might even wonder why they would not have attempted the journey, when one knows the adventurous spirit of this people. Are they at the origin of the myth of Quetzalcoalt, the 'bearded white god', which permeated the pre-Columbian peoples, and whose return was to cause their loss? Today, no archaeological excavation can support the hypothesis of a journey to the South.
"Black is beautiful."

:D

Got you beat. I'm a brunet with strawberry blond hair where most Indians have no hair and I have to buy shoes from Hitchcock to get the width right.

I start with this one

they did go further south...its a wellknow fact ,

For what as to do with my DNA ,

I am mixed, my mother her father was Iroquois, her French mother, my father is of Scottish origin but his mother was French. I have white skin red hair green eyes but all my family have brown eyes and dark hair. I am an exception as I am the only French person here.

Icelandic blood is full of NA natives DNA , question is how it got it, with slaves (wifes). or migration under ice age , migrants on the edge of ice . many NA natives were mixed race before Columbus came , the same question how , when

I start with this one

You are confusing lies with simplification. The fact is that the Vikings foray to The Americas did not result in permanent contact with the region. Columbus found it again, but this time it was a permanent discovery that resulted in exploration, and yes, exploitation of the "new world".

So telling grade schoolers Columbus "discovered" America is not a lie, but it's close enough for them at that stage. Later as they go further in their education what actually happened can be elaborated on as their cognitive abilities increase.

<snip><unsnip>So telling grade schoolers Columbus "discovered" America is not a lie, but it's close enough for them at that stage. Later as they go further in their education what actually happened can be elaborated on as their cognitive abilities increase.
`
I'll have to agree with you. Semantically speaking, he didn't "discover" America, per se. But at a grade school level, it's close enough.

<snip><unsnip>So telling grade schoolers Columbus "discovered" America is not a lie, but it's close enough for them at that stage. Later as they go further in their education what actually happened can be elaborated on as their cognitive abilities increase.
`
I'll have to agree with you. Semantically speaking, he didn't "discover" America, per se. But at a grade school level, it's close enough.

For the concept of "discovering" one only has to look at how the rest of the "Old World" saw their boundaries.

Before Columbus it was "Old World" Only.

After him they had a "New World"

it doesn't matter the Vikings or anyone else were there first, because their travels didn't result in the permanent knowledge of the "new world's" existence.

There are a few books written that try to correct the inaccuracies of popular history.

Columbus's discovery was the only one that had any real result and thus the one that mattered. It was a real discovery as well, as he nor his backers had any idea bout Vikings or any of the rest.

That notwithstanding, Barry Fell wrote a couple of books on Greeks making trips over in ancient times, America B.C. was the name of one, I think; he made an excellent case based on linguistics as well as some physical evidence, but got sneered at by the so-called 'academics' then, just another example of why academia is a largely a waste of space even then, and and a complete waste these days. We're in another 'Dark Age' now, with fake 'science' running amok and genuine scholarship a collection of neo-pagan totems as a substitute for objective inquiry.

The term "Vikings" is open to a world of discussion. Were Vikings the legendary bloodthirsty manics that pop history created or were they peace loving explorers who only wanted to find a warmer climate to plunder?

Forum List

Back