The Lie That Broke Israel's Back

Wehrwolfen

May 22, 2012
The Lie That Broke Israel's Back​

By Steve Apfel
December 9, 2012

Israel now has a quasi-state to contend with. "A victory for the values of truth," exclaimed Sudan's U.N. diplomat after the General Assembly voted to admit Palestine as a non-member observer.

It's a victory for the Palestinian camp, perhaps, but in truth it was a defeat -- of historic proportions. Recalling one thing and reaffirming another, the resolution the GA voted on was packed with lies. Most were blatant. One lie -- you could say the catchphrase of the Palestinian perpetual show -- enjoyed the sanctity of accepted wisdom.

"The Palestinian territory occupied since 1967" appeared, in one form or another, some dozen times in the U.N. resolution. This whopper of an old lie, told so often and for so long as to merge fantasy with reality, made Israel's defeat at the U.N. a long time coming. One might say that it made Israel's defeat historically inevitable.

"Occupied Palestinian Territory" (OPT) is a thing of smoke and mirrors. Historically, it never happened; legally, there never was Palestinian territory for Israel to occupy. Israel took the territories from Egypt and Jordan in 1967, and there's no getting away from that. So today Israel has more right than Jordan to be occupying the West Bank, and more right than Egypt to be occupying Gaza (if Israel's blockade may be called occupation). "Palestine" never enters the equation. Turn Middle East wars and laws upside-down and any way you like, but if the territories belong to any U.N. member, or quasi-member, they belong to Israel.

Not even the famous U.N. Resolution 242 can help. It told Israel to withdraw from territories once held by Jordan, illegally, and Egypt, and it envisaged those territories' return to those two countries. "Palestine" never got a mention in Resolution 242 -- for a couple of good reasons.

Palestinians were not among the belligerents involved in the Six-Day War. Anyway, the people who were going to stake claim to a nation they would call Palestine were a year away from being born.

More than anyone, King Hussein of Jordan understood perfectly that a cart before the horse never gets off the blocks. So he told the 1988 Arab League summit in Amman: "The appearance of a distinct Palestinian national personality comes as an answer to Israel's claim that Palestine is Jewish."

The Hashemite monarch was explaining to fellow potentates why a Palestinian nation had to be conceived in 1968. If it were not, then the West Bank and Gaza would be Israel's by dint of war and law. Arab armies had been vanquished in six days, the territories lost to Israel. That made it imperative for the PLO to revise its covenant, which it did on July 17, 1968. The PLO meddled with Article 24, erasing the old declaration that the West Bank and Gaza were not occupied and now insisting that they were. With that sleight-of-hand, a newborn nation came into the world -- with a newborn bastard illegal occupier.

Armed with nothing but chutzpah, the PLO lost no time cementing the lie that the Jewish state had usurped the foundling's heritage. From there to the accepted wisdom of "Occupied Palestinian Territories" took no more than a quick step.

For all that, "Palestinian territory occupied by Israel" is more than a risible lie of history. It has had the power to alter history. For one thing, the international community took to the idea. For another, a goodly proportion of American, and even Israeli, Jews nailed their colors to that mast. For a third, an economic bubble has OPT to thank. Monthly pay slips for untold hundreds of U.N. staffers depend on that fallacious real estate. Hundreds of NGOs and staffers would be the poorer without it. And remember, OPT is the article of faith on which anti-Zionists peg their zeal. Their god demands little: hate Zionism and revere OPT. Hence the daily invocations. Label products from "occupied territories." Boycott Israel and divest because of OPT.

Read more:
Articles: The Lie That Broke Israel's Back

Given that Israel was an invention of the United Nations,

don't you see the irony here??

No, why don't you explain this to us?

Many countries were inventions of other countries. The U.S. for example...

... and Palestine. If everything is an invention, why can't Palestine be considered a country?

Why can't your computer be considered a country?

That wasn't a serious question, right? I mean, the answer is pretty damned obvious.

... and Palestine. If everything is an invention, why can't Palestine be considered a country?

That wasn't a serious question, right? I mean, the answer is pretty damned obvious.

You just said countries are invented. What you posted doesn't address that at all. I'm not going to accept a side step. My computer has nothing to do with the subject. I can only assume that you have no counter to my argument, so you had to try a distraction tactic. FAIL!!!

You just said countries are invented. What you posted doesn't address that at all. I'm not going to accept a side step. My computer has nothing to do with the subject. I can only assume that you have no counter to my argument, so you had to try a distraction tactic. FAIL!!!

No, I did not say countries are invented. So the basis of your question is an error.
Try again.

Simple: it doesn't have control over its own borders. That's pretty much one of the fundamentals of being an actual country.

In 1948, one-third of the population of Mandate Palestine inflicted a Jewish State by force of arms upon two-thirds of all Palestinians. In 1967 the Jews launched another war that lasted six days, tripled the amount of land controlled by Israel and subjected another one million Arabs to Jewish occupation

"Arab armies had been vanquished in six days, the territories lost to Israel."

Those territories were and are subject to international law like this from the Fourth Geneva Convention:

"The Occupying Power shall not deport or transfer parts of its own civilian population into the territory it occupies."

Over the past forty years Israel has filled the Occupied Territories with hundreds of thousands of Jews from all around the planet in violation of international law.

The Big Lie comes when Israel annexs all the land between the Mediterranean Sea and the Jordan River, and five million Jews rule six million Arabs in a "democratic" state.

Simple: it doesn't have control over its own borders. That's pretty much one of the fundamentals of being an actual country.
What's Israel's Eastern border?

is-map.gif

See for yourself.

No, I did not say countries are invented. So the basis of your question is an error.
Try again.

You said:

Many countries were inventions of other countries. The U.S. for example.

My critique stands. YOU try again. I'm not going to to be fooled by you selective quoting sleight of hand.

What's Israel's Eastern border?

is-map.gif

See for yourself.
Your map's a little vague on West Bank borders:

"he 1993 Oslo Accords declared the final status of the West Bank to be subject to a forthcoming settlement between Israel and the Palestinian leadership. Following these interim accords, Israel withdrew its military rule from some parts of the West Bank, which was divided into three administrative divisions of the Oslo Accords..."

"Area A, 2.7%, full civil control of the Palestinian Authority, comprises Palestinian towns, and some rural areas away from Israeli settlements in the north (between Jenin, Nablus, Tubas, and Tulkarm), the south (around Hebron), and one in the center south of Salfit.[37]

"Area B, 25.2%, adds other populated rural areas, many closer to the center of the West Bank.

"Area C contains all the Israeli settlements, roads used to access the settlements, buffer zones (near settlements, roads, strategic areas, and Israel), and almost all of the Jordan Valley and the Judean Desert.

"Areas A and B are themselves divided among 227 separate areas (199 of which are smaller than 2 square kilometres (1 sq mi)) that are separated from one another by Israeli-controlled Area C."

Will you support a Jewish State on all the land between the Mediterranean Sea and the Jordan River?

West Bank - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They didn't dwell on the soil they now claim is theirs. They were created as a country without a country, then sought a place to claim as their own.

"His Majesty's government view with favour the establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people, and will use their best endeavours to facilitate the achievement of this object, it being clearly understood that nothing shall be done which may prejudice the civil and religious rights of existing non-Jewish communities in Palestine..."

Who are "they?"

Balfour Declaration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Forum List

Back