The liberals' official hostility to religion takes a strange new turn

Liability

Locked Account.
Jun 28, 2009
Mansion in Ravi's Head
Looks like the PC police have threatened members of the House of Representatives against wishing constituents a "Merry Christmas," if they want to do so in a mailing paid for with tax dollars.

Members who submit official mailings for review by the congressional franking commission that reviews all congressional mail to determine if it can be "franked," or paid for with tax dollars, are being told that no holiday greetings, including "Merry Christmas," can be sent in official mail.

"I called the commission to ask for clarification and was told no 'Merry Christmas.' Also told cannot say 'Happy New Year' but can say 'have a happy new year' – referencing the time period of a new year, but not the holiday," said a Hill staffer who requested anonymity.

Congressmen can't say 'Merry Christmas' in mail | Campaign 2012 | Washington Examiner

At this point, I'd ask "are you fucking kidding me?" But why bother? I already know they're serious.

Seriously absurd.

Looks like the PC police have threatened members of the House of Representatives against wishing constituents a "Merry Christmas," if they want to do so in a mailing paid for with tax dollars.

Members who submit official mailings for review by the congressional franking commission that reviews all congressional mail to determine if it can be "franked," or paid for with tax dollars, are being told that no holiday greetings, including "Merry Christmas," can be sent in official mail.

"I called the commission to ask for clarification and was told no 'Merry Christmas.' Also told cannot say 'Happy New Year' but can say 'have a happy new year' – referencing the time period of a new year, but not the holiday," said a Hill staffer who requested anonymity.

Congressmen can't say 'Merry Christmas' in mail | Campaign 2012 | Washington Examiner

At this point, I'd ask "are you fucking kidding me?" But why bother? I already know they're serious.

Seriously absurd.

I thought we were broke? Which of our elected officials thinks we can afford postage for Christmas cards in the first place???? Where is the outrage from the Republcians demanding to know how this will be paid for??

Last edited:

Seriously absurd.
Maybe they'd prefer "Happy Holidays" (HolyDays)?

Festivus mayhaps?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS7-jcsB_WQ]The Festivus - YouTube[/ame]

Seriously absurd.

You don't mean "Liberal's official hostility toward religion" you mean "official hostility toward Christianity". Liberals are very tolerant of Islam.

Seriously absurd.

I thought we were broke? Which of our elected officials thinks we can afford postage for Christmas cards in the first place????

Ah. A slightly different issue.

Should we do away with most "franking" mailings in the first place?

Ok.

But as long as Congress-critters have a right to mail constituents at the public expense, the content of those letters should be a matter of indifference.

That is, if the constituents don't like what they get from the Congress-critters, THEY know how to handle it.

But to have some fucking Congressional Committee censoring the Congress-critters in that way on the basis of how they wish folks a happy holiday is just plain antithetical to what our Founders and Framers would have accepted.

Seriously absurd.

I thought we were broke? Which of our elected officials thinks we can afford postage for Christmas cards in the first place???? Where is the outrage from the Republcians demanding to know how this will be paid for??

Hey nit wit, they aren't banning Christmas cards, they are saying you cannot use the greeting "Merry Christmas" in any mail.

The founders designed a system free of religion.

Pretnd they didnt but the facts are clear

Seriously absurd.

They should ALL be paying for it themselves. No exceptions. That is the real outrage....them spending OUR money for that.

Seriously absurd.

We Heathens will take back our midwinter holiday from the Christians who have been taking it over for a while now.

In all fairness they aren't permitted to say Happy New Year either.

They may say

Have a happy period of time between January 1st to December 31st.

Seriously absurd.

You don't mean "Liberal's official hostility toward religion" you mean "official hostility toward Christianity". Liberals are very tolerant of Islam.

You mean there is another religion besides Christianity?

Madision's Memorial and Remonstrance

We the subscribers, citizens of the said Commonwealth, having taken into serious consideration, a Bill printed by order of the last Session of General Assembly, entitled "A Bill establishing a provision for Teachers of the Christian Religion," and conceiving that the same if finally armed with the sanctions of a law, will be a dangerous abuse of power, are bound as faithful members of a free State to remonstrate against it, and to declare the reasons by which we are determined.

Last edited:

Seriously absurd.

What makes it about religion, if you can't say Happy New Year? Seems to me they just don't want us to have to pay for Congress' Xmas cards. Sounds sensible to me. Personal mail should be on their own dime!

James Madison's Veto Messages by Gene Garman

June 3, 1811

I have recd. fellow Citizens your address, approving my Objection to the Bill contain[in]g a grant of public land, to the Baptist Church at Salem Meeting House Missippi Terry. Having always regarded the practical distinction between Religion & Civil Govt as essential to the purity of both, and as guaranteed by the Constn: of the U.S. I could not have otherwise discharged my duty on the occasion which presented itself. Among the various religious Societies in our Country, none have been more vigilant or constant in maintain[in]g that distinction, than the Society of which you make a part, and it is an honourable proof of your sincerity & integrity, that you are as ready to do so, in a case favoring the interest of your brethren, as in other cases. It is but just, at the same time, to the Baptist Church at Salem Meeting House, to remark that their application to the Natl. Legislature does not appear to have contemplated a grant of the Land in question, but on terms that might be equitable to the public as well as to themselves. Accept my friendly respects

------------------------------

President Madison's letter as quoted above is located in The Papers of James Madison: Presidential Series, 3:323-324

Last edited:

Forum List

Back