The Liberal vs. The Conservative

Discussion in 'Politics' started by LaShaun, Jan 28, 2011.

1. LaShaun

LaShaun Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What are some of the Primary problems between Liberals and Conservatives today? What are Key differences and beliefs between the 2 groups and how are these issues addressed and taken?

What are negatives and positives of Liberals and Conservatives and how they deal with issues? Which group in your opinion seems to make better sense and more credible decisions when dealing with issues and Why?

2. LaShaun

LaShaun Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    And with that, what exactly is your reason for such a reaction specifically?

3. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,992
    You're new to political message boards, I'm guessing?

1/3 of the people on this site will swear up and down that Liberals are Satan worshipping mass murderers and Conservatives are angelic perfect beings. Another 1/3 will simply switch it around.

And the last 1/3 will probably just drop in and make snarky comments. (Like this one.)

4. gekaap

gekaap BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +135
    The center.

Everything.

Lots of mud.

Polarity.

Neither, really.

5. bucs90

bucs90 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,210
    One problem is the label itself. "Liberal" isn't exclusive to Democrat, nor "Conservative" to GOP.

"Liberals" today are more of the modern liberal, not the classical liberal. In fact, the modern liberal is the exact opposite of the classic liberal. Todays modern liberal believes in working towards absolute equality, which can only be achieved through force of government. Thus, they support countless laws to shape humanity and society into what they feel is more fair and equal. They believe in the idea that some subgroups are not succeeding because of ingrained oppression, and it's the gov'ts job to fix that. Again, they can be Dem, GOP, or independent, but tend to flock to the D.

"Conservatives" believe in more freedom, but thus, more risk, in society. That the government should stay as "hands off" as possible, and let the pieces fall where they may. Small gov't, only the basics: Police, fire, military, EMS, roads. Little much else. They believe in morality based closer to religion than social acceptance, although sometimes don't follow it themselves (at least politicians anyway).

So it's basically which direction you think society should go. More freedom and let people end up where they end up? Or more laws to shape society into what the governing body feels it should look like. Neither is really a good idea. But I prefer more freedom because I'm independent and capable, and will thrive without gov't. Thus, I'm a conservative. If I was helpless, scared, or angry at the world, I'd be a liberal so I could get handouts, protection and revenge.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    Did CBass52 get a sex change?

Anyone biting?

7. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    1/5 will try to have a decent conversation

1 in every 250 or so will constantly point out that these numbers do not add up at all

1 in 35 of them will cite that fact as evidence that the census is an Illuminati plot

8. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    Nope.

False dichotomy. Liberalism is an ideology (or set of related ideologies). Conservatism is no ideology and refers to nothing at all, really.

9. kaz

kaz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,278
    There is no conflict between a real liberal and conservative. I liberal believes in helping others. A conservative believes in personal responsibility. Neither of those admirable objectives is achieved by government. The American Left abdicates their personable responsibility for charity to others. As the American Right abdicates their personable responsibility for morality to others. They are both the same, they both fail. Only those who believe in personal charity hand in hand with personal morality have a clue.

10. gekaap

gekaap BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +135
    At the very least, that runs into an existential problem. "No ideology" is itself an ideology. As a practical matter, it is pretty silly to suggest that conservatives believe in nothing at all. They have an ideology of their own.