The liberal mythology of healthcare being a right

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
For the sake of this post let's pretend you're right (which you're not).

Every right I can think of involves 2 paths. One to exercise it and one to deny it. Obamacare does the exact opposite. It FORCES you to exercise this so called right. So in essence it oppresses an individuals personal rights to decide for themselves.

You've all been claiming that healthcare is a right so exactly how does this law aid me in EXERCISING my rights? It doesn't, it FORCES me to take a path I may not want to take.

Where is my RIGHT to choose if Obama doesn't offer me a waiver like all his rich friends?

Should have went with the PO. That way you would have had an option.

What you are saying is that everyone should be denied the right of access to the AHA because you don't want to exercise yours? Who the fuck are you to decide that?

• Banned
What you are saying is that everyone should be denied the right of access to the AHA because you don't want to exercise yours? Who the fuck are you to decide that?

So you can't answer the op. Thats fine. Please then point out where I made the ridiculous assertion you just claimed.

What YOU are saying is that everyone should be required to pay for the AHA, whether they want it or not, because YOU want the AHA?

Who the fuck are you to decide that?

Every right I can think of involves 2 paths. One to exercise it and one to deny it. Obamacare does the exact opposite. It FORCES you to exercise this so called right. So in essence it oppresses an individuals personal rights to decide for themselves.

You've all been claiming that healthcare is a right so exactly how does this law aid me in EXERCISING my rights? It doesn't, it FORCES me to take a path I may not want to take.

Where is my RIGHT to choose if Obama doesn't offer me a waiver like all his rich friends?

You have a waiver, simply go to Canada, Mexico or Somalia when you need medical care. Don't want to pay for something you will one day need that's fine with me and I'm sure it's fine with public hospitals too.

Maybe you and others like you need a medical bracelet with this inscription: "I'm too stupid to buy medical insurance I will one day need, please do not treat me; if you do I will not pay but I will sue you".

Of course you'll demand the governemnt pay for your bracelet.

You do not want to bring up waivers, it is the most easily debunked myth of the Healthcare law, I will give you an opportunity to look up exactly what the waivers were before I make you look foolish.

As to healthcare being a right, most Americans would say we have a right to the opportunity to affordably obtain the basics of life such as water, food and shelter and yet some such as you say we have no right to be able to afford healthcare. Is this the case? We have no right to be treated for no other reason than we cannot afford it? That we are to allow treatment and medicine to become an ever increasing luxury in the richest country in world? This is the coldest form of social Darwinism and it does not suit us.

What YOU are saying is that everyone should be required to pay for the AHA, whether they want it or not, because YOU want the AHA?

He's a Statist... they feel they have the right to tell EVERYONE what's best for them.

Not at all... I am going with the OP's scenario where Health Care is a right. You are projecting.

You have a waiver, simply go to Canada, Mexico or Somalia when you need medical care. Don't want to pay for something you will one day need that's fine with me and I'm sure it's fine with public hospitals too.

Maybe you and others like you need a medical bracelet with this inscription: "I'm too stupid to buy medical insurance I will one day need, please do not treat me; if you do I will not pay but I will sue you".

Somalia! Yay!!!!!

And by the way FORCING ME TO BUY INSURANCE does NOTHING to expand my so called right to medical care that I couldn't have already done on my own WITHOUT being forced to.

So you can't answer the op. Thats fine. Please then point out where I made the ridiculous assertion you just claimed.

That's exactly what you are saying... you don't want to exercise your right to Health Care... fine. Great Idea... perhaps there ought to be a law where YOU don't get Health Care at all if you don't want it.... oh wait... YOU want Health Care.... you just don't want to pay for it with your tax dollars.

As to healthcare being a right, most Americans would say we have a right to the opportunity to affordably obtain the basics of life such as water, food and shelter and yet some such as you say we have no right to be able to afford healthcare. Is this the case? We have no right to be treated for no other reason than we cannot afford it? That we are to allow treatment and medicine to become an ever increasing luxury in the richest country in world? This is the coldest form of social Darwinism and it does not suit us.

???

Not quite sure what you're getting at here.

But I'll ask this, if health care is a right, would you also say that food, clothing, shelter - or any other necessity of life is also a right?

That's exactly what you are saying... you don't want to exercise your right to Health Care... fine. Great Idea... perhaps there ought to be a law where YOU don't get Health Care at all if you don't want it.... oh wait... YOU want Health Care.... you just don't want to pay for it with your tax dollars.

No. I'm already paying for it with my after-tax dollars... and then paying for tons of other shit for others.

You have a right to socialized medicine. Simply move to Canada or England or any of several other countries so your medical care needs are covered.

If you expect me to pay for your medical care by forcing me to pay into a program I don't want or need (because I have private health insurance), then START PACKING and get yourself a PASSPORT.

Maybe you and others like you need a medical bracelet with this inscription: "I'm too lazy and unmotivated to better myself through hard work and/or a formal education, so please make sure I receive medical care that is FREE, because I am entitled to it, and also because I don't have any money."

The topic isn't about me wanting healthcare or not. It's about FORCING it upon me when its supposedly a right. Rights are about freedom, where is the freedom?

I think this debate always boils down to a matter of equivocation. Whatever a 'right' to health care might be - it's not a right as I understand it. Political rights are about freedom, not service.

Forum List

Back