The "Liberal Media"

acludem

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2003
Missouri
http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20030224&s=alterman2

Have a read of this article. Many of you constantly bitch and moan about the "liberal media". It doesn't exist. It's a myth. It's a crock. One need only look at the media coverage during the 2000 presidential campaign - Gore was constantly ravaged by the media while Bush was given free passes. The "liberal media" hyped the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. I am sick and tired of hearing about the "liberal media". It's a lie perpetuated by conservatives who are afraid of honest reporting of themselves.

acludem

For every link you give I can give 3 more. This debate has been going on forever and there will likely never be an end to it. That's why we're all free to choose a news source that we best feel doesn't give a slant with their reporting. I find it laughable if someone doesn't recognize the liberal bias, but that's just me. I could care less if there is or not. Any intelligent person will see right through the garbage anyway.

Since you still don't believe me, here are numbers from the Pew Charitable Trust's Project for Excellence in Journalism from coverage of the 2000 presidential election:

Tone of Coverage for Gore and Bush:

Gore: 13% positive, 31% neutral, 56% negative
Bush: 31% positive, 27% neutral, 49% negative

These numbers were compiled from a study performed at the Columbia School of Journalism by examining 1,149 stories from 17 leading news sources. This project is one of the very few non-partisan media reporting sources around.

That doesn't look like liberal media bias to me. Al Gore, the liberal, was covered negatively more than half of the time, and Bush had three times the positive stories than Gore. Where's the liberal bias? WHERE?

acludem

I will have to say that all of the media out there is not liberal in its slant. However, if you look at the major newspapers out there (namely the NYT, LAT, and USA Today, which have large national circulation), they all slant left. So do the national news coverage of NBC, CBS, and ABC. However, there are organizations that slant right as well - Fox News slants somewhat right, as does newsmax and WorldNetDaily. I have come to start judging organizations individually, and then evaluating the news I get from those sources through the filter of their particular bias.

Originally posted by gop_jeff
I will have to say that all of the media out there is not liberal in its slant. However, if you look at the major newspapers out there (namely the NYT, LAT, and USA Today, which have large national circulation), they all slant left. So do the national news coverage of NBC, CBS, and ABC. However, there are organizations that slant right as well - Fox News slants somewhat right, as does newsmax and WorldNetDaily. I have come to start judging organizations individually, and then evaluating the news I get from those sources through the filter of their particular bias.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Spot on as Usual Jeff

Actually it is profits, Soul Brother - fight the power.

:clap: also well said.

Soul Brother....that's soo perfect :)

Can we PLEASE make a smilie in WJ's honour?

:sb:

Forum List

Back