The lesson of Santa Claus

dblack

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
What are we teaching our kids with the Santa Claus tradition? Does it promote 'belief', or warn us against being gullible?

Well, I thought it was interesting. I've often wondered how many future atheists were 'born again' at the exact moment they found out about Santa.

It teaches us how to be graceful, generous and caring, even if it is only one time a year. God bless that day.

There is no Santa Clause therefore it is acceptable to break into your neighbor's house and steal all their presents.

It's nothing but a huge pile of :bsflag: made up back in the 19th Century. It was then expanded upon by major department store owners in order to increase their sales.

Santa Claus, Saint Nick, and all the rest are not anywhere close to the original celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. Check out Santa Claus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When they took the Christ our of Xmas, that showed exactly what it is all about. :mad:

It's for the kids... I heard a story on the radio today about a shy child who some mall Santa noticed was signing to his mom. The story goes that the kid lit up like 'Vegas when random Santa signed to him "Have you been a good boy?"

Santa is for the kids...

santas_weapon_inventory-0001.jpg

They are members of a gun club in Arizona.

What are we teaching our kids with the Santa Claus tradition? Does it promote 'belief', or warn us against being gullible?

Good question. I remember when my Mom sat me down and said "I guess you know by now Santa isn't real-- don't tell your younger siblings" ... well no, I hadn't realized that, and why would you make up a story like that? It left me bewildered.

I wouldn't say it made me an "atheist" since Santa's got nothing to do with religion, but it did teach me to question things. And then Catholic school reinforced that lesson.

Good question. I remember when my Mom sat me down and said "I guess you know by now Santa isn't real-- don't tell your younger siblings" ... well no, I hadn't realized that, and why would you make up a story like that? It left me bewildered.

I wouldn't say it made me an "atheist" since Santa's got nothing to do with religion, but it did teach me to question things. And then Catholic school reinforced that lesson.

I recall when I found out - the way my mom handled it was interesting. I asked her straight up if Santa was real (I think I was nine or so). She just smiled and asked "Well what do you think?"

Forum List

Back