the lesbian thread or girl on girl

Been there done that. Both living together with one and getting married to another. They are TOTALLY different situations. I understand what you're saying, ClayT.

But...
I’d never recommend anyone live together thinking there is a “true” commitment. It may seem so, but it’s not. That piece of paper and those vows REALLY solidify commitment, for most people anyway. I also agree with what Hobbit said.
We need to hear those vows. Those words become tangible to the other person. There is a security that someone is willing to be by your side through whatever comes your way.

Getting married is BIG business. The average wedding now cost 24-28 thousand dollars. With gifts included, approx 72 billion dollars are spent on weddings annually. Those of us who conduct the ceremony are the least paid of all.

I recently was in contact with a bride who is planning a rather large wedding; 300 guests, renting the Hall of Mirrors for her reception. Said she didn't want to pay over $200 for the person who marries her. She wanted to "concentrate on the important stuff, like the cake & her dress." These 'girls' don't realize that they can get married without a cake or a dress. They cannot get married without someone that's legal to prounouce them husband & wife. They need to get some of their priorities straight. They get too caught up in the planning; more thought needs to be put on the marriage.

There are also a few drawbacks to this living together thing. Couples who just live together to "see if they are compatible" usually don't make it to the altar. Seems the couple needs that commitment in place, the betrothal, in order for it to actually come to fruition.

Been there done that. Both living together with one and getting married to another. They are TOTALLY different situations. I understand what you're saying, ClayT.

But...
I’d never recommend anyone live together thinking there is a “true” commitment. It may seem so, but it’s not. That piece of paper and those vows REALLY solidify commitment, for most people anyway. I also agree with what Hobbit said.
Sorry P, I'm confused. Not really sure how this relates to my post. Could you help me out?

Let me know if you need me to redirect you to your own post ;)

There are also a few drawbacks to this living together thing. Couples who just live together to "see if they are compatible" usually don't make it to the altar. Seems the couple needs that commitment in place, the betrothal, in order for it to actually come to fruition.
Is this based on your observations alone?

Guess not since you didn't understand. I don't know how else to say what I said.
Live an learn, maybe?
I wonder perhaps if you misunderstood what I was trying to say?

My point was, while "you may now kiss the bride" won't have the same meaning as it originally did, it will still have meaning. Just a different one, one which is still very significant to me.

While the historical intent of wedding traditions may be fading, it does not necessarily mean that a wedding is completely devoid of significance, symoblism, or otherwise. They are not static concepts.

I wonder perhaps if you misunderstood what I was trying to say?

My point was, while "you may now kiss the bride" won't have the same meaning as it originally did, it will still have meaning. Just a different one, one which is still very significant to me.

While the historical intent of wedding traditions may be fading, it does not necessarily mean that a wedding is completely devoid of significance, symoblism, or otherwise. They are not static concepts.

I did misunderstand you, sorry. And I agree, Carry on............................:thup:

Another fallacy I've heard is the whole "Well, you wouldn't buy a car without test driving it, would you?" The problem is that this analogy works if you're the driver, but not if you're the car.

Another fallacy I've heard is the whole "Well, you wouldn't buy a car without test driving it, would you?" ....

Well get ready, it's not a fallacy. Cars are disposable if you don't like how they handle, a wife is not. Ya better be sure you like the ride. It's all part of it.

*Don't thump, ok?*

Another fallacy I've heard is the whole "Well, you wouldn't buy a car without test driving it, would you?" The problem is that this analogy works if you're the driver, but not if you're the car.
I think the fallacy is comparing a marriage to a person driving a car.

I think the fallacy is comparing a marriage to a person driving a car.

Exactly. Marriage is a partnership, a two way street, if you will. I don't think it can be broken down into a simple analogy. I mean, this is a lifetime commitment, or at least it's supposed to be, and looking at it as such is the best way to prevent divorce.

As far as 'enjoying the ride,' keep this in mind. If you only ever have sex with one person, it'll be the best sex you'll ever have, period.

Forum List

Back