The Least Bad Iran Option

onedomino

SCE to AUX
Sep 14, 2004
The Least Bad Iran Option
From the March 7, 2005 issue: The real choices we face in dealing with Tehran's nuclear program.
by Jeffrey Bergner
03/07/2005, Volume 010, Issue 23

http://weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/005/301fkrie.asp

DURING HIS RECENT TRIP TO Europe, President Bush sent mixed signals about U.S. policy with regard to Iran's development of nuclear weapons. At one point he dismissed the prospect of military action as ridiculous; immediately after, he emphasized all options were on the table; then at another point he suggested there might be "convergence" between U.S. and European views on how to address the problem. If the president seemed to be all over the lot, that may be because the policy choices with respect to Iran are complex, and none is without its drawbacks.

Currently we are pursuing a "good cop, bad cop" option. While France, Germany, and Great Britain negotiate directly with Iran, the United States stands to the side. Washington endorses the negotiations, supports the European trio, and hopes the negotiations might find an opening to end Iran's weapons program in a way that is verifiable. Indeed, there may even be a thought that the occasional American statement that "all options are on the table" will strengthen the European negotiating position.

What are the likely consequences of this scenario? First, the negotiations will fail. They will fail because, despite claims to the contrary, Iran is not seeking a peaceful nuclear energy program. Iran has no need of such a program, and its actions to date are not consistent with that end. Iran is seeking to develop a nuclear weapons capability, and there is nothing the European trio can offer it to compensate for the perceived security benefits nuclear weapons would bring.

When the talks fail, what then? Will European negotiators acknowledge that negotiations were insufficient to deter Iran, and move toward economic or political sanctions? No, they won't: The negotiations are not a means to an end, they are the end itself.

We will then see the second consequence of this option: European governments will argue that only the United States can offer the security guarantees that might tempt Iran to end its program, and therefore America should not absent itself from the negotiations. Iran will point out that leaks about U.S. war planning, deployment of aerial drones, and alleged Special Forces activities all confirm its need for self-defense. It will be said, again, that America faces two kinds of adversaries--those with nuclear weapons that it does not invade, and those without nuclear weapons that it does invade. Under the "good cop, bad cop" option, Iran's weapons program continues, Western unity is strained, and Iran lays the blame on a party not even present at the negotiations. In all, not such an attractive option.

There are now calls for the United States to move to a second option, which we might call the "united front" option. Here the United States would join France, Germany, and Great Britain and engage directly with Iran. But what could Washington offer that the European trio could not? The United States maintains ground forces in both Iraq and Afghanistan and considerable naval assets nearby. Perhaps a security guarantee from the United States would assuage the anxieties of the Iranian government. But such a pledge would be completely unwise, given the many other issues--including support for terrorism, interference in Iraq, and the Iranian regime's human rights record--that animate U.S.-Iran relations.

Moreover, to assume that Iran's quest for nuclear weapons has to do with the current force posture of the United States in the region is to forget that Iran has been pursuing nuclear weapons for at least 18 years, since long before even the first Gulf War. And it is to ignore that Israel, Russia, and Pakistan all possess nuclear capabilities in the region. The consequence is that "united front" negotiations would also fail. What's more, since the United States, if it joined direct talks with Iran, would immediately become the senior negotiating partner, American diplomacy would be blamed for the failure.

What then? Would Europe be more willing to adopt follow-on sanctions against Iran as a result of a perceived failure of collective U.S. and European diplomacy than it is as a result of the failure of its own diplomacy? The question answers itself. The "united front" option would permit the continuation of Iran's nuclear program and foster disagreement over follow-on measures among the allies.

This suggests a third option, which we might call a "united front with pre-agreed follow-on measures." Under this option the United States and Europe would agree in advance on a set of consequences to ensue if negotiations failed to dislodge Iran from its position. For example, they might agree that if negotiations had not successfully concluded within six months, the United States and Europe would jointly press for economic sanctions against Iran in the U.N. Security Council.

It is difficult to believe that Europe would commit itself to such a course of action, especially if the United States were in a position to judge what amounted to a successful negotiating outcome. Europe might surmise that Russia or China or both would block action by the Security Council in any event. Thus, for the "united front with pre-agreed follow-on measures" option to be meaningful, Europe would have to commit itself in advance to join in sanctioning Iran with or without the blessing of the Security Council. This would require Europe to overturn its long-standing views on the U.N., and to do so in an instance where Europe alone would bear most of the new costs, as the United States already has sanctions in place against Iran.

So this third option turns out to be a pipe dream, predicated on the hope that Europe would ever adopt economic and/or political sanctions against Iran, over and against the procedures of the U.N., in response to a perceived failure of American diplomacy. While musing on this cascade of unlikely events, moreover, we might remind ourselves that there is no evidence that the imposition of joint U.S. and European economic sanctions against Iran would cause it to terminate its nuclear weapons program.

Is there no other option short of invasion? There is a "military strike" option, which would consist of a strike against all known and suspected Iranian nuclear weapons development facilities. In the wake of such a strike, the United States would no doubt be condemned for riding roughshod over European and world diplomacy and for taking Iranian lives. A military strike could also alienate a great swath of moderate, and especially younger, Iranians who are inclined to be friendly toward the United States and in whom we repose hope for the creation one day of a more decent, secular regime in Iran. Moderate Iranians may oppose clerical rule, but they do not necessarily oppose an Iran with nuclear capabilities. Losing the natural affection of these people would be a genuine setback.

A "military strike" option is thus fraught with risk for the United States from friend and foe. It does, though, have one critical difference from the other options examined here: If it were executed properly, it would eliminate or seriously retard Iran's nuclear weapons program.

Jeffrey Bergner is a senior transatlantic fellow at the German Marshall Fund of the United States. The views expressed here are his own.
-

I have one question: Are you pro Iraq war people disappointed that Bush appears to be "weak "on Iran. He won your applauds for being so bold and sure of himself when it came to Iraq but he seems to be looking for a consensus as per Iran. I for one am glad to see a little hesitation and consideration of Europe and other allies.....I think it is a good thing. But how does this fit in with former attitudes that if the US wants to do it, we should go ahead, (and stopping a nuclear program probably equates pretty well with WMD's), not worrying about seeking the approval of others.

sagegirl said:
I have one question: Are you pro Iraq war people disappointed that Bush appears to be "weak "on Iran. He won your applauds for being so bold and sure of himself when it came to Iraq but he seems to be looking for a consensus as per Iran. I for one am glad to see a little hesitation and consideration of Europe and other allies.....I think it is a good thing. But how does this fit in with former attitudes that if the US wants to do it, we should go ahead, (and stopping a nuclear program probably equates pretty well with WMD's), not worrying about seeking the approval of others.

Iran is different on many levels. In no way was it weakened like Iraq was with the earlier Gulf War. In Iran the problem isn't one rouqe leader, but rather one very conservative leader that is to the left of the controlling mullahs.

The population is 'controlled' but not anywhere near what one was talking about regarding the Taleban in Afghanistan or Saddam in Iraq. There have been waves of student protests over the past decade and the Iranians are a substantial voice on the Internet.

For all these reasons and more, diplomacy seemed to be the weapon of choice, but if it breaks down, especially in light of the now official agreement between Syria and Iran, I do not think that Iran is going to be allowed to go nuclear.

Sir Evil said:
Sage - your assumption here is incorrect! I'm not pro war nor do I see Bush as being "week on Iran"
What I see is that Bush is taking a more careful approach this time and I believe this is more to please our own as opposed to others. The democrats been whining for so long about OUR image that it has become very apparent that moving on OUR own here would only create greater divides than we already have.

So it equates to you about a similar situation as Iraq does it? Well I still don't care what people say about Iraq, it needed to be done and was very well justified! If you wanna wait around for approval before our asses get nuked then so be it, I would prefer to attck it before it develops into something disasterous!

My question was to "pro Iraq war" types....so I guess it would apply to you??, And I tried to say that I approve of a more cautious approach being taken with Iran/ NKorea even though I am of the opinion that either of these poses maybe even a greater threat than I ever felt from Saddam/ Iraq. even Afghanistan seemed a greater threat. As you say, our eagerness to engage on this front, Iraq, has hindered our credibility to pursue actual and perhaps greater advesaries. It just goes along with my opinion that we occupied Iraq for very different reasons than to "get rid of Saddam" or to defeat terrorism. whatever. There is no evidence that Saddam was going to nuke us, in fact evidence to the contrary.....so I wasnt especially afraid of it or waiting to get my ass nuked. Actually I see much greater causes that the might and will of the US could serve and are currently being neglected.

sagegirl said:
our eagerness to engage on this front, Iraq, has hindered our credibility to pursue actual and perhaps greater advesaries.
Ridiculous. For example, the fact that America destroyed the murderous regimes in Afghanistan and Iraq is precisely the reason that we have credibility with the Iranians, Syrians, North Koreans, etc. Those outlaw regimes know that America, in contrast to the UN, will back up what it says with action. When the US says, "allow for verifiable, complete nuke-facility inspections; adhere to the Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty," the Iranians need only look to Iraq to see the price of non-compliance. The E3 (UK, FR., GR.) are currently trying to purchase (appease) Mullah compliance with the NNP Treaty, which Iran signed. The EU "negotiators" would have zero credibility without the US standing ominously in the background.

sagegirl said:

Once again, you're laboring under the leftist delusion that diplimacy was not attempted in iraq and that we went in alone. These are both wrong.
Since the premise of your question is wrong, I don't know how to answer except to say, "the premise of your question is wrong."

Sir Evil said:
How so? because I suggest it was justified? Because Saddam defied all resolutions for 12 years? Because the U.N. was so corrupt that our options of
true coalition were underminded? Yep, you got me pegged alright, Im a warmongering conservative to the end! :rolleyes:

NEGATIVE! What hindered and still hinders all the success of Iraq is the liberal minded lunacy that you have so often supported since joining. Once again for the memory impaired: IRAQ DID NOT ANSWER TO ANTHRAX, NOR THE VX, THEY DID NOT ADHERE TO A SINGLE RESOLUTION PASSED BY THE U.N., THEY SHOT AT OUR PLANES, ARGGGH...... I'M DONE BEATING THE DEADEST HORSE I'VE EVER SEEN! :blowup:

Is that right? Please enlighten me with something other than the typical liberal "it's about the oil" theory!

Never said there was, I suggested intel provided info of WMD's that have been non-existing but that intel was not ours alone! There were a whole lot of other reason that I have just grown tired of constantly typing out!
But I know, it was a plot by Bush himself to try and concocted up a good reason to invade.

You have expressed your fear of nuclear technology on many ocassions, unfortunately your lackadaisical approach and view to it all is exactly the thing that will lead to the arms race growing larger! You don't wait for something to proliferate before finding a way to stunt or extinguish it!
Sir Evil:
I dont know you well but I would not call you a warmonger. We just have substantially different takes on the issues. I too am weary of any explanations of the reasons we went to war. Life is change and I would be most glad to see things change for the better, (it is my belief that the better off EVERYBODY is, the better off we all are). I would not hold it against GW if his actions resolved the many many problems in the middle east, all over for that matter, and did in fact make it a safer and better world for all. I wouldn't sing his praises but I would surely give him credit. (War by its very nature is a clumsy and brutal way to bring about change, but it has proven its effectiveness over time, and also its self perpetuating nature).
My comments on the nuclear issue.....I think the threat of nuclear weapons or "dirty" bombs (a obscure euphenism if I ever heard one) is our greatest challenge. Nuclear weapons should be treated with the same amount of regard as the destruction they can bring about. That should be no tolerance, no exceptions. So I wont resign to living in fear of being nuked, I will do and say all I can to express my opposition to any nuclear proliferation.
There is a chance for us to introduce new concepts to the nations of the middle east and I will credit the present show of force for opening that door. It did need to be opened...the time of fascism and martyrism has been long and harmful for many, change is difficult and we are expecting a large group of people, very set in their religious and traditional ways, to surrender to a freer and more modern world, its not going to happen overnight. The resolution of our efforts may only come about years from now, but every journey starts with the first step and we and they have started that journey. Let us all hope for success.

sagegirl said:
, (it is my belief that the better off EVERYBODY is, the better off we all are).

This is where I stopped reading. Anyone else care to share a funny story about this post?

...you mean other than the fact that it's a redundant sentence?

Shattered said:
...you mean other than the fact that it's a redundant sentence?

Do you have a funny anecdote regarding your reading of the post? If not, step aside, Vonda.

Don't worry..at some point in the distant future, somebody will take your wishes into consideration, Skippy. :)

rtwngAvngr said:
This is where I stopped reading. Anyone else care to share a funny story about this post?

Is the joke on me....I dont get it....please explain.

and to Shattered, yes it is redundant but to make the point, I think that issues like recognition of gay unions, which would include rights to benefits and other personal issues, a decent minimum wage, some privacy issues, and a host of other subjects which some oppose, only make things better or more toward equal for some minorities or less tolerated members of our society. These issues in no way diminish me, contrarily they enrich me. So as redundant as it is making things better for everybody is not as common a cause as it might be.
After all arent we over in Iraq to make their lives better? Why not set a good example and start right here at home.
I just add this so no one thinks of me as needy and whining for a share of the wealth. While I am at best middle class I consider myself abundantly rich, I have never known scarcity, but have always practiced frugalness and restraint in what I consume. As far as my luck for being here at this time
I try never to take it for granted.

sagegirl said:

and to Shattered, yes it is redundant but to make the point, I think that issues like recognition of gay unions, which would include rights to benefits and other personal issues, a decent minimum wage, some privacy issues, and a host of other subjects which some oppose, only make things better or more toward equal for some minorities or less tolerated members of our society. These issues in no way diminish me, contrarily they enrich me. So as redundant as it is making things better for everybody is not as common a cause as it might be.
After all arent we over in Iraq to make their lives better? Why not set a good example and start right here at home.
I just add this so no one thinks of me as needy and whining for a share of the wealth. While I am at best middle class I consider myself abundantly rich, I have never known scarcity, but have always practiced frugalness and restraint in what I consume. As far as my luck for being here at this time

Wow. You're nearly a perfect person.

sagegirl said:

Just out of curiousity, what do you think minimum wage for flipping burgers and/or cleaning floors should be? Minorities are minorities because they choose to be so, IMO. Education in abundance is there for the taking, yet we should pay people more that choose not to utilize it?

rtwngAvngr said:
Wow. You're nearly a perfect person.

I know you dont mean that seriously (otherwise you would have left out the "nearly"). I still dont get it, but I am gald to have lightened up your day....have a good laugh at my expense. Somewhere else we are gonna be on the same side of an issue and that should be even more fun, or enough to scare the hell out of you.

Shattered said:
Just out of curiousity, what do you think minimum wage for flipping burgers and/or cleaning floors should be? Minorities are minorities because they choose to be so, IMO. Education in abundance is there for the taking, yet we should pay people more that choose not to utilize it?

Minorities are designated such by law.

Maybe it's just me but how did we get from "The least bad Iran Option" to minimum wage? :shocked:

Kathianne said:
Maybe it's just me but how did we get from "The least bad Iran Option" to minimum wage? :shocked:

Higher minimum wage was one of the things she mentioned as a way to "better" this world. Why should it be higher?

Shattered said:

Well I think if a person works/gives of their time and effort, they should get reasonable compensation. I dont think anyone wants to make a career of flipping burgers or bagging groceries but the corporations that own the business, be it a McDonalds or whatever, make lots of money. I dont think they are going to go broke paying their bottom of the scale workers maybe 8 to 10 dollars an hour. Did I hear a collective gasp.
I know education is abundantly available, but when I hear and see some of what our public education system deems passing I am honestly offended. I'm talking about the basics, reading writing arithmetic. I am not defending or condoning anyone who has failed to see the huge benefits of educating themselves to the fullest extent they can. I just know that some of our educational programs just dont work. I went to 2 years of vocational training the rewards were incredible. I never made hundreds of thousands a year like alot of boarders claim, but I couldnt believe how much status my occupation provided me in the workplace and I was really well compensated. My point was that if a person makes a decent living from the work they do, they are more apt to take an active interest in society, thus we all benefit. Someone who works hard and long, and has little or nothing to show for it, or is barely able to meet their expenses to live, is not in a position to partake, much less in a position to contribute to society as a whole.

Sorry that this got so off the thread, I will take greater care about it.

(un)sage, what does your last post have to do with "The Least Bad Iran Option?"

Forum List

Back