The Leadership of Columbia University Should be Fired

onedomino

SCE to AUX
Sep 14, 2004
Any public funds that are provided to Columbia University should be stopped until the President of the school resigns. Any Federal or State research contracts should be terminated until the leadership of the school is changed. Columbia University has decided to give a propaganda platform to a killer of American troops in Iraq. They are welcoming to speak the Iranian President. Iran is waging a vicious proxy war against Americans and civilians in Iraq. They think it is fine to chat with the leader of a country that wants to wipe Israel off the map. Columbia University denies ROTC a place on campus because it objects to the military’s don’t ask don’t tell policy regarding homosexuals. Yet it is just a matter of freedom of speech to give a public soapbox to the leader of a nation that executes homosexuals.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/200...anian_madman_mahmoud_ahmadinejad_walks-2.html

"No legitimate American university should debate the existence of the Holocaust or even think of inviting someone like Hitler," said Larry Amsel, a Columbia med school professor.

A spokesman for Columbia President Lee Bollinger said he backed Coatsworth's comments.

Jewish leaders blasted Coatsworth and the university.

"Something is seriously askew when a dean at a respected university can just blithely say that he'd give a platform to the leader of Nazi Germany," said Malcolm Hoenlein, head of the Conference of Presidents of Major Jewish Organizations.

Columbia, in fact, invited Nazi Germany's ambassador to a campus event and cocktail party in 1933, sparking protests from students who were derided by the university administration as nothing more than "ill-mannered children," according to the Wyman Institute for Holocaust Studies.

Iran is a growing threat to the US and I believe is active in sending weapons and explosives into Iraq. BUT I do not agree that Federal Funding should be stopped for allowing this man to speak there.

I would hope that more voices would speak out against the concept that an American University is the right place to allow this person a soap box. But it is the right of the school to make that decision. I would hope some pressure could be brought to bear to change the nature of the schools leadership, but NOT legal action nor the stripping of funds they receive from the Federal or State Governments. That is the right and responsibility of the School to make such a decision. Freedom of Speech should not be trampled by our Government.

Iran is a growing threat to the US and I believe is active in sending weapons and explosives into Iraq. BUT I do not agree that Federal Funding should be stopped for allowing this man to speak there.

I would hope that more voices would speak out against the concept that an American University is the right place to allow this person a soap box. But it is the right of the school to make that decision. I would hope some pressure could be brought to bear to change the nature of the schools leadership, but NOT legal action nor the stripping of funds they receive from the Federal or State Governments. That is the right and responsibility of the School to make such a decision. Freedom of Speech should not be trampled by our Government.
It is the right of the University to allow a killer of American troops the right to speak? Absurd. This is not a freedom of speech issue. Since when does the enemy get the chance to use an American university as a forum for propaganda? The same University Dean that is permitting the President of Iran to speak said he would have allowed Hitler to speak. All funding for Columbia should be immediately stopped until the current leadership resigns. If the leadership of the University decides to welcome an enemy of America and a killer of US troops, then the public should deny the funding that supports such an institution,

We are not at war with Iran. We have not even convinced most Americans that Iran is directly involved in shipping arms to Iraq. He was legally in the Country and was allowed legally to travel to the school. Freedom doesn't just include what you want. Something both left and right need to learn.

I would have been quite happy had he been denied the right to speak there by the school. Or if such a huge protest occurred ( occurs) that the school leadership was forced to change. BUT I will not support nor condone Censorship by our Government. And that is what your calling for.

Freedom of Speech is a bedrock of this Country. ALL speech that does not violate the law MUST be allowed and protected. And laws that restrict speech MUST be carefully reviewed and considered before passed or used.

I can not stress this enough, it is the same as ensuring all have the same rights as everyone else. NO one has free speech if all do not have it. Our Government should never be involved in curtailing allowed free speech. No matter how even a majority may feel about an issue or person.

We are not at war with Iran. We have not even convinced most Americans that Iran is directly involved in shipping arms to Iraq. He was legally in the Country and was allowed legally to travel to the school. Freedom doesn't just include what you want. Something both left and right need to learn.

I would have been quite happy had he been denied the right to speak there by the school. Or if such a huge protest occurred ( occurs) that the school leadership was forced to change. BUT I will not support nor condone Censorship by our Government. And that is what your calling for.

Freedom of Speech is a bedrock of this Country. ALL speech that does not violate the law MUST be allowed and protected. And laws that restrict speech MUST be carefully reviewed and considered before passed or used.

I can not stress this enough, it is the same as ensuring all have the same rights as everyone else. NO one has free speech if all do not have it. Our Government should never be involved in curtailing allowed free speech. No matter how even a majority may feel about an issue or person.
We are not at war with Iran? Anyone who reads the newpapers knows that is unreal semantic distinction. Iran kills Americans. Since when does the US Constitution guarantee Iranian killers the right to freedom of speech? There is zero question that Iranian weapons and personnel are being used by the leadership of Iran to kill both Americans and Iraqi civilians in Iraq. Why would you support a US propaganda platform for the President of a country that is in a proxy war with America? To assert that this is a US freedom of speech issue is false and plays into the hands of the enemy. Using your argument Columbia could have legitimately invited Tojo to speak.

I wasn't aware the US Constitution made distinctions between classes of people when distinguishing who gets freedom of speech and who doesn't.

Sorry, but its protected speech. This is the kind of shit that is turning our universities into circle jerks of agreement. The folks at Columbia are quite intelligent people...somehow I doubt they will fall for common propaganda on the part of the Iranian president.

There is zero question that Iranian weapons and personnel are being used by the leadership of Iran to kill both Americans and Iraqi civilians in Iraq.

Err what? I thought you would have learned your mistake after the WMD debacle...just because Georgy says its true don't make it so.

Any public funds that are provided to Columbia University should be stopped until the President of the school resigns. Any Federal or State research contracts should be terminated until the leadership of the school is changed. Columbia University has decided to give a propaganda platform to a killer of American troops in Iraq. They are welcoming to speak the Iranian President. Iran is waging a vicious proxy war against Americans and civilians in Iraq. They think it is fine to chat with the leader of a country that wants to wipe Israel off the map. Columbia University denies ROTC a place on campus because it objects to the military’s don’t ask don’t tell policy regarding homosexuals. Yet it is just a matter of freedom of speech to give a public soapbox to the leader of a nation that executes homosexuals.
I disagree that they should be fired, while I also think inviting him to speak there was a bad choice.

The university is a place of learning, and all learning is not about the good things. thus, tho I think is was a bad choice (He is speaking before the UN which should have sufficed, or perhaps even included a national Television program) The University had every right to invite him.

And he SHOULD be heard, that is just the wrong place.

We agree for once.

Actually I think its a GREAT idea to invite him to speak. Its a good time for students to listen and determine for themselves what they think of what he says AND its a great time to also tell him things they want to say. They should be able to carry their own banners and should be afforded question and answer time. I do tend to like 2 way conversations better so if they arent including a Q&A session, I would hope they consider it and do so. As a student I would most definitely be carrying a sign demanding more human rights in Iran for Iranians and make sure our own voices and our views were heard as well.

I think we were stupid (in a smart way) about the conference about the holocaust he had. We shouldve went, its not hard to prove that the holocaust occurred. I think the reason we didnt was because we wanted to keep calling him a holocaust denier and we didnt want to deal with the all important question he asked...."why is it that palestinians must pay the price for the crimes of Germany?"...thats the real reason we didnt want to attend.

It is the right of the University to allow a killer of American troops the right to speak? Absurd. This is not a freedom of speech issue. Since when does the enemy get the chance to use an American university as a forum for propaganda? The same University Dean that is permitting the President of Iran to speak said he would have allowed Hitler to speak. All funding for Columbia should be immediately stopped until the current leadership resigns. If the leadership of the University decides to welcome an enemy of America and a killer of US troops, then the public should deny the funding that supports such an institution,
It is only your opinion that he is a killer of american troops.

Granted, you are joined by far too many other UN-thinkers. but then, if he is indeed a killer of American troops, so also then is Bush for sending them in harms way, and IMO, Bush is responsible for far more such deaths than the Faux Presidnet of Iran. -for sending them in Harm's way.

We are not at war with Iran? Anyone who reads the newpapers knows that is unreal semantic distinction. Iran kills Americans. Since when does the US Constitution guarantee Iranian killers the right to freedom of speech? There is zero question that Iranian weapons and personnel are being used by the leadership of Iran to kill both Americans and Iraqi civilians in Iraq. Why would you support a US propaganda platform for the President of a country that is in a proxy war with America? To assert that this is a US freedom of speech issue is false and plays into the hands of the enemy. Using your argument Columbia could have legitimately invited Tojo to speak.

REPEAT That is just your opinion.--- not proven fact.

Banners aren't allowed----so much for free speech LOL

Students should absolutely defy any "no banners" rules. It is an infringement on their speech and especially at a school where ideas should be encouraged to be expressed.

I hope students DO bring banners and DO insist on being able to ask questions.

Banners arent "hecklers" and they have a right to support OR disagree and should NEVER be silenced. Disagreeing with the speaker and making their voices heard isnt "harrassment", just as sentiments that agree with the speaker should be allowed as well.

We need DIALOGUE, the fact that we seem to be training our young people to only do the listening and NOT participate is downright disgusting.

I wasn't aware the US Constitution made distinctions between classes of people when distinguishing who gets freedom of speech and who doesn't.

Sorry, but its protected speech. This is the kind of shit that is turning our universities into circle jerks of agreement. The folks at Columbia are quite intelligent people...somehow I doubt they will fall for common propaganda on the part of the Iranian president.

Err what? I thought you would have learned your mistake after the WMD debacle...just because Georgy says its true don't make it so.
Where have you been? Our military commanders in Iraq say that it is Iranian weapons killing Americans. Are you calling them liars? Ruby probably would, but I would think you would be able to distinguish between political statements and the statements of our military commanders. There is no question according to our military commanders that Iranians are killing Americans and Iraqi civilians in Iraq. We are in a undeclared war with Iran whether you like it or not.

I say let him speak... I think Ted Nugent summed it up best in an interview I saw with him once (paraphrasing) (regarding whether Klansmen should be allowed to have rallies at courthouses), "Let them rally all they want. I'd rather have these crazies out in the open where I can keep an eye on them than hiding in the dark where I can't see them."

Where have you been? Our military commanders in Iraq say that it is Iranian weapons killing Americans. Are you calling them liars? Ruby probably would, but I would think you would be able to distinguish between political statements and the statements of our military commanders. There is no question according to our military commanders that Iranians are killing Americans and Iraqi civilians in Iraq. We are in a undeclared war with Iran whether you like it or not.

Actually all the Military has official said is that Iranian weapons and explosives are arriving in Iraq. They have NOT said they have proof the Iranian Government is behind it. They have also failed to provide evidence that would convince people that the Iranian Government has ordered this to happen.

Personally I believe it is done at the beheast and order of the Highest officials, But your statement is simply not true.

RGS gets four doobie snacks for his tireless support of the first amendment!

See, we liberal are not so bad, dude!

AND, can scknowledge when a conservative says something we can all agree on. Hell, three of us in this thread?

:clap2:

Forum List

Back