The latest Muslim attacks in Belgium should cause us to pause

garion13a5

Mar 28, 2016
Hello,

Like most other people, I find hatred against any group, because of the actions of a few, abhorrent. However, there is no denying that the rise in violence and intolerance in Europe finds an undeniable correlation in the increased number of Muslims in Europe. What do we do? Having studied Islam at university, I am convinced that the religion has significant violence in its message for those that want to hear it. Considering that there will always be radicals and disenfranchised young men with any population, there will always be a significant number of extremist radicals in any Muslim group. Because of this, where ever there are large numbers of Muslims, there will be attacks on non-Muslims.

I'm curious to hear the thoughts of others.

garion13a5

Hello,

Like most other people, I find hatred against any group, because of the actions of a few, abhorrent. However, there is no denying that the rise in violence and intolerance in Europe finds an undeniable correlation in the increased number of Muslims in Europe. What do we do? Having studied Islam at university, I am convinced that the religion has significant violence in its message for those that want to hear it. Considering that there will always be radicals and disenfranchised young men with any population, there will always be a significant number of extremist radicals in any Muslim group. Because of this, where ever there are large numbers of Muslims, there will be attacks on non-Muslims.

garion13a5

you "STUDIED" islam in college? gee----my college did not have an
ISLAM 101 -----but it was during my undergraduate years that I began to LEARN
about islam from muslims I met in my weekend -------little college time job.
I is old-----way back then in the flower child era we WAS INTO knowing about
the all embracing loving world out there---------(and singing kumbaya------
and "MICHAEL ROWED THE BOAT ASHORE" ) I was so much a completely
blank page----------before I knew anything ----EVERYTHING SEEMED GOOD
TO ME. I learned-------I am convinced you are right. The operative
phrase is ****THE SIGNFICANT NUMBER OF "radicals" (I would describe
them as PIOUS MUSLIMS---having read the koran and learned about shariah))
in any muslim population

Hello,

garion13a5

in any muslim population

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I took a Master degree in Islamic Studies. I'm surprised that your reply seems so angry and confrontational. However, you may be right, and that is certainly problematic. If the most learned members of the Islamic community become radicals, because that is what the religion teaches, then we can never count on moderate muslims to temper the excesses of their co-religionists. What do we do?

garion13a5

Hello,

garion13a5

I have to agree with you.

After all, their holy book Koran commands to kill infidels.

And that's exactly what they do.

Hello,

garion13a5

in any muslim population

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I took a Master degree in Islamic Studies. I'm surprised that your reply seems so angry and confrontational. However, you may be right, and that is certainly problematic. If the most learned members of the Islamic community become radicals, because that is what the religion teaches, then we can never count on moderate muslims to temper the excesses of their co-religionists. What do we do?

garion13a5
Hi Garion, I'm interested in why you did a masters in IS, and what you intended/intend to do with it? You needn't answer if you don't want to, obviously.

Hello,

garion13a5

in any muslim population

Hello,

garion13a5
Hi Garion, I'm interested in why you did a masters in IS, and what you intended/intend to do with it? You needn't answer if you don't want to, obviously.

she did a MASTERS? I thought she just did 'ISLAM 101". I did several little
undergraduate sociology courses-----kept my GPA way up there

Hello,

btw Garion :welcome: to the board.

Hello,

garion13a5

in any muslim population

Hello,

garion13a5

Hello,

garion13a5

in any muslim population

Hello,

garion13a5

oh---thanks Garion-----I had missed the fact that you "mastered" in islam.
Did you also learn Arabic? -------of course you need not answer---but it does
interest me-------as to whether your present profession INVOLVES
your education in islam. ----or IS YOU---something like a theology scholar?

Hello,

I don't really intend to do anything with it. I think there is value in knowledge. I must admit I consider it worth while. Prior to taking the course I believed that Islam was a religion of peace that had been coopted by a few radicals. After two years of studying Islamic politics, religion and history, I don't believe it anymore. I believe that Islam is a political/religious structure that is not compatible with liberal ideology.

garion13a5

Hello,

I don't really intend to do anything with it. I think there is value in knowledge. I must admit I consider it worth while. Prior to taking the course I believed that Islam was a religion of peace that had been coopted by a few radicals. After two years of studying Islamic politics, religion and history, I don't believe it anymore. I believe that Islam is a political/religious structure that is not compatible with liberal ideology.

garion13a5

oh........ you went for a MASTER's that had nothing to do with your career----
----just as a kind of hobbyist. I am intrigued. Is you a rich lady? (you need
not answer) or just someone who gets ---time off and funding for
ongoing education? (you need not answer) It might interest you to know
that my hubby was born in a classical shariah adherent country. I would be
glad to discuss what I know

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I took a Master degree in Islamic Studies. I'm surprised that your reply seems so angry and confrontational.
No need to be surprised. She is a radical zionist jew who hates muslims and Islam. ...... :cool:

Why does it matter if she is Jewish?

who is being called a jew? In islam ------"jew" "Christian" "hindu"
"Zoroastrian" etc-----always matters-------each gets its own color code

Hello,

garion13a5
Thank you, Garion, there certainly is value in knowledge, it's just in my experience most masters students have a career aim in mind if only because doing a masters degree is quite expensive. I thought maybe you intended to teach or something. That might turn out to be problematic once you'd changed your views on it though. Were your tutors PC in how they approached this subject?

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I took a Master degree in Islamic Studies. I'm surprised that your reply seems so angry and confrontational.
No need to be surprised. She is a radical zionist jew who hates muslims and Islam. ...... :cool:

Sunni referred to you as a 'radical zionist jew (sic) who hates muslims and islam'^^^^^

Sunni referred to you as a 'radical zionist jew (sic) who hates muslims and islam'^^^^^

oh----nothing new------we have been good friends for a LONG LONG time.
He admires my knowledge of islam. Compared to him-----I am almost
a SHAYKH (ess)

Forum List

Back