The Last Bastion of Allowable Prejudice.

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by PoliticalChic, Jun 16, 2011.

1. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,909
    1. Americans are allowed freedom of speech. This, according to the Constitution…but it seems that here is a codicil, right there…in invisible ink, but right there. It says “Unless what ever it is you would like to say is, in any way, associated with Christianity.”

The anti-religious bigotry is palpable!

So, this California school had a clever fund raiser, in which one would ‘purchase’ bricks to be used for a walkway. You would purchase the bricks, and have them monogrammed with a message or quote.
    Two folks had five or six bricks printed with biblical quotes that they found inspirational.

The school district refused to allow their bricks in, but when they sued, cancelled the program and refunded some $45,000 to all the contributors.

“Lou Ann Hart, of Palm Desert, and Sheryl Caronna, of Rancho Mirage, purchased several bricks for $100 to $250, which were due to be installed in the walkways of Palm Desert High School.

When they were told they could not use the bricks in the memorial because the content risked an unconstitutional establishment of religion, the two women filed a legal complaint against the district in an attempt to reverse the decision.

Hundreds of messages and quotes had been accepted for other bricks including ones with religious themes, according to lawyer, David Cortman, an attorney for the Alliance Defense Fund who initiated the lawsuit on the women’s behalf.

One featured a quote from Mahatma Gandhi while another had Bible quotation: ‘Yes, it is possible,’ in Spanish.

‘It is cowardly to shut down everyone's participation in this programme simply out of animosity toward Christian speech.

‘There is absolutely nothing unconstitutional about a Bible verse on a brick when a school opens up a programme for anyone to express a personal message.”
    California School District cancels memorial fundraiser over Bible verse bricks | Mail Online

2. On a related note, congratulations to the Boston Bruins for winning the Stanley Cup…and to their magnificent goalie, Tim Thomas.

PLEASE be sure to keep the following note from the Desert Palm School District:

“Thomas, who recorded a shutout in the Bruins’ 4-0 victory over the Vancouver Canucks, wears the motto “In God We Trust” on the front of his face mask. On the back, Thomas sports a tribute to the Gadsden flag.”
    » Tim Thomas - Big Government

It's past time for Americans to stand up for the rights of the religious community, and demand an equal footing with the non-religious or secular community.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  2. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    It's nice to see the left shitting on childrens freedom of speach early in life. This way they won't be disapointed later.

Also, it's perfectly fine to call white peolpe any racist slander you chose and suffer no consequinces.

3. tonystewart1

tonystewart1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +155
    As a Christian I live my life as Christ wants me too. I care nothing for what others say or do to try to stop me. I am always allowed to pray to God through Jesus no matter what others may do. If they stop me from doing it openly in public then i will go to my closet to pray; and pray for those who try to persocute me for my salvation.

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Matthew 6:6

4. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    How silly. Christianity has complete freedom in the US to express itself fully. The problem with some Christians, is they are not content to stay in their churches, but they want to proselytize EVERYWHERE.

A Bible verse has no business being on a publically funded government institution. It belongs on Church property. This is a separation of church and state issue, not an issue of free speech.

Only a Christian would complain about this.

5. Newby

Newby Does it get any better? Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,703
    Can it get any better than that??? LMAO... :lol:

6. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    You don't believe in separation of church and state, I take it? Shove your doctrine down everyone's throat. Yes?

Pray in public schools, teach creationism in science classes, and re-write history. Are you gonna tell me Thomas Jefferson was a Christian? Did you know the Texas school board voted to write Jefferson out of their history curriculum?

7. Two Thumbs

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    Grow up idiot.

It's seperation of church and state, not from church and state.

They sold to bricks so the kids could put any message they wanted on it, then shit themselves at the idea that so many people were people of faith.

the bricks shoulda stayed as free speech. only a church hater would see it otherwise.

8. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    The bricks are not free speech. They are religious speech on public property. They push Christianity.

If someone put a Buddhist quote on there I would want them to remove it. It's a public building. Not a church or a temple.

I don't hate churches at all. I hate theocracy and dominionism. I wish people would keep their religion to themselves instead of forcing it on others. Freedom of religion means we are free to not practice Christianity if we so choose. Putting Biblical scripture permanently on public buildings violates separation of church and state.

All the Christians who hate Muslims would peel Islamic bricks off that school with their bare hands. Some Christians don't want free speech, they want to be the only ones free to speak. They think they're entitled to more rights than anyone else.

BTW. It's the principle of the thing, to me. It's possible I would have read the specific bible passage and also personally found it inspirational.

9. Two Thumbs

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    That's a lie.

10. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    What's a lie? It's my opinion, that Christians who hate Muslims, would object to Islamic scripture on public school bricks.

I don't hate Churches, but it's ok with me if you have the opinion that I do. Churches are buildings designed for communities to come together and worship. I have no problem with that.

I have a problem with Christians making every public owned building their turf. 'TELL EVERYONE ABOUT GOD'S POWER' is inappropriate for a public school building.

It was the right thing to do to cancel the fundraiser. That's politics for ya.