The Last Airbender (in 3D)

eagleseven

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Jul 8, 2009
OH
Utter Garbage. I walked out half-way through this movie, after having paid $15 to see it 3D.

And I am a huge fan of the original cartoon.

Why did I walk out?

1. Horrible acting...a combination of inexperienced kids and Bollywood rejects made the characters flat and unbelievable.

2. Ahn, the lead character, was a charming goofball in the cartoon, making it fun and lovable. They made him a depressed, angry loser in this film.

3. They tried to jam every plot point into the film, resulting in a series of disjointed scenes, with a rushed narration explaining the non-existent transitions. It made no sense, and I was confused even though I knew the plot.

Horrible use of 3d, even during the (ridiculously short) action scenes. The most exciting 3D visuals were in the previews before the movie.

5. They omitted the best scenes from the cartoon, but instead added their own, which were boring, confusing, and out-of-character.

6. Speaking of character, there was no characterization to speak of. Due to a combination of inept acting, poorly chosen lines, and rushed pace of the whole experience, we learned virtually nothing of the characters.

We ended up leaving the movie half-way through, as not only was it waste of time, but they were ruining my good memories of the cartoon.

eagleseven's rating: 1 out of 5 stars

I am yet to read a positive review on this movie. They all read a lot like this one.

I liked it. I had few expectations going in. I liked the special effects, and while the acting was hammy at times (especially the bad guys), overall it was what it was meant to be: a live-action cartoon.

I'm happy I happened upon this thread eagleseven. Everytime I see the trailer on television I say I want to go see it. ( being somewhat of a fan of the cartoon through my kids ) After reading your OP, the desire to see the movie has faded. Thanks.

I liked it. I had few expectations going in. I liked the special effects, and while the acting was hammy at times (especially the bad guys), overall it was what it was meant to be: a live-action cartoon.
There is no reason why animation should be held up to a lower standard than any other media. For example, take this wildly successful cartoon adaptation:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NmhxbLXQbg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NmhxbLXQbg[/ame]

There is no reason why animation should be held up to a lower standard than any other media. For example, take this wildly successful cartoon adaptation:

I liked it. You didn't. You can't convince me to dislike it, any more than I can convince you to like it.

Utter Garbage. I walked out half-way through this movie, after having paid $15 to see it 3D.

And I am a huge fan of the original cartoon.

Why did I walk out?

1. Horrible acting...a combination of inexperienced kids and Bollywood rejects made the characters flat and unbelievable.

2. Ahn, the lead character, was a charming goofball in the cartoon, making it fun and lovable. They made him a depressed, angry loser in this film.

3. They tried to jam every plot point into the film, resulting in a series of disjointed scenes, with a rushed narration explaining the non-existent transitions. It made no sense, and I was confused even though I knew the plot.

Horrible use of 3d, even during the (ridiculously short) action scenes. The most exciting 3D visuals were in the previews before the movie.

5. They omitted the best scenes from the cartoon, but instead added their own, which were boring, confusing, and out-of-character.

6. Speaking of character, there was no characterization to speak of. Due to a combination of inept acting, poorly chosen lines, and rushed pace of the whole experience, we learned virtually nothing of the characters.

We ended up leaving the movie half-way through, as not only was it waste of time, but they were ruining my good memories of the cartoon.

eagleseven's rating: 1 out of 5 stars

I hope you asked for you money back :)

I liked it. You didn't. You can't convince me to dislike it, any more than I can convince you to like it.
If you somehow managed to like that film, then you should definitely watch the cartoon with your daughters (I believe it is on Hulu)...you will really enjoy the series.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYimfFr5As8]YouTube - Sokka Funny Moments!![/ame]

If you somehow managed to like that film, then you should definitely watch the cartoon with your daughters (I believe it is on Hulu)...you will really enjoy the series.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYimfFr5As8]YouTube - Sokka Funny Moments!![/ame]

We watch it all the time.

Forum List

Back