The Lahar

Discussion in 'Environment' started by 2twsted4colorTV, Oct 17, 2011.

1. 2twsted4colorTV

2twsted4colorTV Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    We have regular drills here for these, so far nothing. But . .

Lahars

Lahars at Mount Rainier?
    During the past 10,000 years, there have been at least 60 different lahars of various sizes originating from Mount Rainier (Hoblitt and others, 1995:5). There are now over 100,000 homes and over 200,000 Puget Sound residents that work in buildings located on these deposits (Krakauer, 1996:34). The largest of these lahars is the Osceola Mudflow that occurred approximately 5,600 years ago and extends to the Port of Tacoma including the areas now inhabited by the towns of Orting, Buckley, Sumner, Puyallup, Enumclaw and Auburn (Hoblitt and others, 1995:5). A more recent lahar, the Electron Mudflow, originated as a sector collapse from what is now known as the Sunset Amphitheater around 600 years ago. The deposits left from the Electron Mudflow are 30 yards deep at the beginning of the Puget Sound lowland area and at least 6 yards deep at the town of Orting (Hoblitt and others, 1995:5). The following hazard map illustrates the areas at risk from future lahar activity.

600 years ago we had no humans, no burning of fossil fuels, nothing, just happened. Regarding of one poster on here who believes he/she is the epitome of brillance in all things geological, many of our rivers here that are fed by glacial/snow melt are barely ankle deep as yet. If a lahar occurred 600 years ago and was not caused by man, I fail to see how we could be causing one yet. IF we were able to cause them, then by God let's do something to prevent them, huh? But to my knowledge nothing is being done, because nothing CAN be done.

2. wirebender

wirebender Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Lahar? Didn't they do a Heavy Metal movie about the Lahar back in the late 70's or early 80's?

3. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,400
    Silly ass. there were humans living in the Puget Sound lowlands 600 years ago. And nobody that I know of has even suggested that a lahar from a collapse of a geological feature was in any way connected to human influence.

4. 2twsted4colorTV

2twsted4colorTV Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Well they sure as hell weren't driving automobiles now were they? Or flying airplanes? They hadn't dug any oil wells yet? And the mudflow from a lahar is the melting of the glacier, usually a hot spot under the earth. and NO it's not caused by humans anymore than the receding of glaciers in Himalayas or anywhere else or even climate change to ice or heat is caused by humans. THAT's my point "silly ass."

and P.S. to the Himalayan glacier bit: http://www.iceagenow.com/Glaciers_in_western_Himalayas_thickening_and_expanding.htm

Stop listening to BSNBC. --

"Furthermore a British study published two years ago by the American Meteorological Society found that glaciers are only shrinking in the eastern Himalayas. Further west, in the Hindu Kush and the Karakoram, glaciers are "thickening and expanding".

"Meanwhile, all last week, ITV News was running a series of wearisomely familiar scare stories on the disappearing Arctic ice and those "doomed" polar bears - without telling its viewers that satellite images now show ice cover above its 30-year average, or that polar bear numbers are at record level. But then "polar bears not drowning after all - as snow falls over large parts of Britain" doesn't really make a story."

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  5. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,400
    And you and your site are full of shit. USGS, a real source for such information.

USGS Professional Paper 1386-F: Satellite Image Atlas of Glaciers of the World -- Asia

This chapter is the ninth to be released in U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper 1386, Satellite Image Atlas of Glaciers of the World, a series of 11 chapters. In each of the geographic area chapters, remotely sensed images, primarily from the Landsat 1, 2, and 3 series of spacecraft, are used to analyze the specific glacierized region of our planet under consideration and to monitor glacier changes. Landsat images, acquired primarily during the middle to late 1970s and early 1980s, were used by an international team of glaciologists and other scientists to study various geographic regions and (or) to discuss related glaciological topics. In each glacierized geographic region, the present areal distribution of glaciers is compared, wherever possible, with historical information about their past extent. The atlas provides an accurate regional inventory of the areal extent of glacier ice on our planet during the 1970s as part of a growing international scientific effort to measure global environmental change on the Earth’s surface.

6. 2twsted4colorTV

2twsted4colorTV Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Whatever. You believe what you want. All I know is we had one of the coldest winters here in Washington and we had snow in the mountains falling through April! They kept the ski areas open through May because they had so much snow on the ground. But, you believe whatever your little heart desires, sweetie.

7. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,400
    God, you are truly ignorant, or born yesterday. Did the Puyallup freeze over last winter? That has happened a number of times in the past. In fact, the Columbia has frozen over hard enough to drive wagons from Portland to Vancouver in the past. But our present 'cold' winters hardly even put a skim of ice on the rivers edges.

8. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,400
    And, yes, I find the USGS to be far more believable the an undegreed ex-TV weatherman, or a blogger on the internet.

9. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,400
    Of course, what you are essentially stating is that there is a worldwide conspiracy among all the scientists dealing with this subject. Because every Scientific Society, every National Academy of Science, and every major University state in the policy statements that AGW is happening, and a danger to all of us.

Need any extra tinfoil for your little aluminum beanie?

10. 2twsted4colorTV

2twsted4colorTV Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    The earth's ice covering melted thousands of years ago. Tell me what caused that? People driving SUVs? Burning oil from their vast oil wells? No? Hmmm. That how can man be cause any melting again? The earth might be warming, but it is not the fault of any of us. We could go to horse and buggy and dismantle all industry for 10 years, not going to change a thing. Scientific reports can be bought and paid for by those who benefit from the answers --- the global warming nuts like Al Bore and his cronies. I don't believe a word of it and shall continue as I have been for years. I believe it is YOU who is wearing the til foil beanie.

I have to wonder, if Newt Gingrich had come up with this "Inconvenient Truth" instead of Al Gore, would you libbie have been as eager to swallow it? Somehow I don't think so. Of course you are from Portland - Land of the Liberals, The People's Republic of Oregon - well I live in just about as bad The People's Republic of Washington. I tell you what: When John Travolta stops flying his 747 and when John Kerry gets rid of his Yacht and all the other celebrities get rid of their SUVs and limos and such, then we'll see. But the planes are still flying, the trains are on the tracks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_of_2009–2010_in_Europe

and according to the Farmers Alamanac: record cold temps predicted. Hmm. http://www.farmersalmanac.com/frigid-2010-weather-outlook/

and last but not least: http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/34891/winter-2011-heavier-snow-for-c.asp

Overall, AccuWeather.com Chief Long-Range Meteorologist Joe Bastardi is predicting that the worst of winter's cold and snow will be from the Pacific Northwest into the northern Plains and western Great Lakes. That will put cities like Portland and Seattle that escaped with a very nice winter last year, colder and snowier this year. Fargo and Minneapolis to Green Bay will also receive above-normal winter snowfall.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011