The Kimchi Chronicles

bluesky79

Apr 21, 2008
Chicago Tribune featured an article on Vongerichten's new cookbook a few days ago (article here). A few excerpts from the article :

Marja Vongerichten believes it's time for kimchee to be discovered and enjoyed by more people. "I think it's got huge potential," she says. "People just don't really have a knowledge of it."Indeed, nothing looks, tastes, feels or smells quite like kimchee, a pungent, pickled, fermented condiment that is served with nearly every Korean meal. (It's also spelled kimchi or kim chee.)Made year-round, kimchee has hundreds of variations that depend on the season and the available produce, which can include cabbage, radishes, green onions and cucumbers. Many kimchees are fiery in flavor and color thanks to the liberal application of red chili powder. It can also be stinky, but Vongerichten notes the same can be said for a number of fine French cheeses.
"Be adventurous," she urges. "Close your eyes and eat it."
I haven't had the opportunity to look into the content of the book, or try the recipes. But this book has been getting pretty positive feedbacks from both American and Korean media, so I look forward to trying some of the recipes. It's got decent (but few) reviews on Amazon too.

Personally, I'm a big Kimchi lover. My family can never have a normal American dinner (say, a steak) without saying "aw screw this, somebody get the kimchi" in the middle of the meal. Kimchi honestly goes well with almost anything. Pizza, any kinds of meat, rice, hotdog, pasta, burgers... If you go to restaurants in Korea, it's not hard to find things like "Kimchi burgers", and "Kimchi Pasta", etc.

If you like Kimchi and cooking, I think this book might be worth it! Spread the word!

I love Kimchi and Boogogi.
Of all the Asian foods Korean is by far my favorite. :eusa_angel:

Mine too, its very under rated.
Most Americans have never eaten Korean food before.

When they go to eat Asian they usually go to a Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, or Thai restaurant.

Over the years I have taken several friends and turned them on to Korean food.

Every one of them were amazed at both the food and presentation.

And came away as new fans of Korean cuisine. :cool:

When they go to eat Asian they usually go to a Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, or Thai restaurant.

In most places I been to its harder to find a Korean restaurant, when Chinese and Japanese places are everywhere, believe it or not when I was deployed to Kuwait they had a little Korean restaurant on post for the Troops to eat, I used to go there every week for boogogi and Kim chi, it became a favorite for alot of the US Troops as well the Brits and Australians who were there.

My father was a career military officer so we always lived around Army bases.

Many soldiers had married Korean women.

Some of these women would open up Korean restaurants.

So there was always several just outside of the base.

My father was a career military officer so we always lived around Army bases.

Many soldiers had married Korean women.

Some of these women would open up Korean restaurants.

So there was always several just outside of the base.

Yup there are usually a few Korean restaurants around Military bases, there is a good one outside of Keesler Air Force Base in Missisipi, even the commissaries on post will sell Korean barbeque sauces and jars of Kim Chi.

Kimchi? Kimchi? Sounds familiar....

...I may have had kimchi once or twice....

......OK...one or two million times!!

I love kimchi. It is one of my all time favorites. I have never made it from scratch.

I was stationed in Korea for 13 months. Love Korean food. Kimchi is not only "cabbage" but is made from a number of root vegtables. Last winter we were in a Asian store and they had samples of Kimchi soup, real good. If you are into B-B-Q cooking you might want to pick up Korean B=B-Q sauce. I don't tell my guest it is Korean sauce, they just know its different from what they use, and good.

Last edited:
I have never been to Korea.

So I have only ate kimchi here in America.

But I heard that the kimchi in Korea is several times stronger in flavor and smell in Korea.

We do have the capacity to ship goods to and from all parts of the world today you know.

There are two types(that I know of)of Kimchi. The one that is put in large crocks and buried for use during the winter. The other is made and refrigerated for use within a few days. Of course now you can get it in jars in just about any supermarket(at least in Ca.).

I love kimchi. It is one of my all time favorites. I have never made it from scratch.

Don't have a yard to bury it in?

LOL. I would rather work from a cookbook. I don't have any Korean cookbooks. I have a few recipes lifted from the 'net. I usually walk through the store and go ZOMG, kimchi and pick up a bottle.

New Topics

Forum List

Back