The Keys to the White House

Wow - swear to god didn't see LL's answers before putting in my own....

I gave 8 a false for Social unrest for the Tea Party and Occupy movements

Libs like to claim thr TEA Party is dead, and you can hardly claim it's agenda is social unrest.
OWS is hardly "sustained" and it's a stretch to call shitting on police cars, social unrest.

"Technically" doesn't count in the minds of the average American.

It is your survey. It specifically says "recession" not a vague economic feeling

Your survey seems to have looked at past presidential elections and specific factors. I imagine they used real recession as a key

It's not 'my' survey. It's an academically researched methodology for predicting the outcome of elections. Damn, if you haven't even worked that out, seriously - I doubt you have the intellectual capacity to get the topic at all.

Read the damned link. Ain't got jack shit to do with me.

Asshole....he just referred to it as "your survey" because you posted it. The disconnect with you is startling.

It is your survey. It specifically says "recession" not a vague economic feeling

Your survey seems to have looked at past presidential elections and specific factors. I imagine they used real recession as a key

It's not 'my' survey. It's an academically researched methodology for predicting the outcome of elections. Damn, if you haven't even worked that out, seriously - I doubt you have the intellectual capacity to get the topic at all.

Cool. Then using the stated rule of thumb from your own link, 5 is true. Now we have that sorted, I'm more interested (other than numbers 1 & 6 and probably 8 and 12 because you're impartial like that;o) what other two or three numbers are false? I suppose in your world 5 is a false, too...even if you are wrong...

If you were honest, CG, you'd have to conclude that the "libs" that have posted in this thread thus far are all thoughtful people and not prone to being reactionary.

The 13 keys test is one that Obama passes easily.

Actually what I see is that most of you are posting on emotion instead of logic. Which is what I expected... I had, however, hoped for different. I always hope people will think - but few do.

Oh.....emotion.

That is a common tactic of the emotional conservative............very much ashamed of their emotions..............eager to claim that liberals are emotional. Funny, huh?

You have, in this thread, stated that you are concerned that Americans "feel" like a recession is coming. Meanwhile, the libs here have cited cold-hard facts about the economy and how a recession before November is IMPOSSIBLE. Yet...you think you are being logical in claiming that "key" for your side.

More fun.

I don't really do 'emotion'. I do logic. That's what I'm paid for, and that's how I'm trained to think.

I didn't state that I was 'concerned' about that Americans 'feel' it. I said it's a factor - recession is, technically, an economic condition.... however, there is sufficient data to suggest that how people 'feel' about their own economic future matters as much as the technical data. Ask any economist.

I think you are reading into my posts words that are not there. And you are reacting in an emotional way because you dislike what I say. That's your problem, don't inflict it on me.

I thought it was a good topic to get people thinking about the likely issues in the coming months. It was never meant to be a whine fest for the ObamaNation.

I should really know better than to provide decent, meaty, discussion topics on this board. :lol:

Academically, they use a defined term "recession"

So we can't count that against his chances of reelection

Actually what I see is that most of you are posting on emotion instead of logic. Which is what I expected... I had, however, hoped for different. I always hope people will think - but few do.

Oh.....emotion.

That is a common tactic of the emotional conservative............very much ashamed of their emotions..............eager to claim that liberals are emotional. Funny, huh?

You have, in this thread, stated that you are concerned that Americans "feel" like a recession is coming. Meanwhile, the libs here have cited cold-hard facts about the economy and how a recession before November is IMPOSSIBLE. Yet...you think you are being logical in claiming that "key" for your side.

More fun.

I don't really do 'emotion'. I do logic. That's what I'm paid for, and that's how I'm trained to think.

I didn't state that I was 'concerned' about that Americans 'feel' it. I said it's a factor - recession is, technically, an economic condition.... however, there is sufficient data to suggest that how people 'feel' about their own economic future matters as much as the technical data. Ask any economist.
I think you are reading into my posts words that are not there. And you are reacting in an emotional way because you dislike what I say. That's your problem, don't inflict it on me.

I thought it was a good topic to get people thinking about the likely issues in the coming months. It was never meant to be a whine fest for the ObamaNation.

I should really know better than to provide decent, meaty, discussion topics on this board. :lol:

Exactly true. Which is why I find it so objectionable when your hero Romney and the right wing noise machine fails to acknowledge the POSITIVE TRENDS in the economy......endlessly moaning about how bad things are...........in order to get elected. It has a dampening effect on the recovery........for reasons that you just stated.

And...you are very emotional. You are not self aware.....but you are very emotional.

True... but there are other factors at play. High gas prices (and I suspect the GOP will use that quote from Obama from back in the day when he talked about energy prices 'necessarily' having to 'skyrocket'.

When we talk about 'recession', the technical term is one thing.... but... and this is also from academically verified research... how people 'feel' about their own short term and long term prospects absolutely do influence their behavior. It affects their views, their politics and how they view the country's success. So, while it may give a technical 'true', I don't think it's a lock up for Obama on that. Again, the coming months will tell more... but it's not a 'true' or a 'false' from my perspective.

I can understand why you want it to be a 'true'.

Oh.....emotion.

More fun.

Everyone else seems to be discussing facts. You are the one slipping into a defensive mode and starting to call other posters names. That doesn't seem like logic

Cool. Then using the stated rule of thumb from your own link, 5 is true. Now we have that sorted, I'm more interested (other than numbers 1 & 6 and probably 8 and 12 because you're impartial like that;o) what other two or three numbers are false? I suppose in your world 5 is a false, too...even if you are wrong...

5, in purely objective terms would be true if we are to believe what the government feeds us for GDP.
Given the way unemployment is calculated, claims of jobs saved and jobs created and the way the present administration vets loan applications I have serious doubts about the GDP numbers we get from a Treasury Secretary who can't figure out how to file his taxes.
If we go subjective, the 8.5 or is it 10% or 18% that are unemployed or under employed certainly think times are tough.

Oh.....emotion.

More fun.

Exactly true. Which is why I find it so objectionable when your hero Romney and the right wing noise machine fails to acknowledge the POSITIVE TRENDS in the economy......endlessly moaning about how bad things are...........in order to get elected. It has a dampening effect on the recovery........for reasons that you just stated.

And...you are very emotional. You are not self aware.....but you are very emotional.

Things are bad.... despite what your media tells you. It's really, really bad. Many international economists are not convinced that we've bottomed out of the problems yet. I also factor that into my opinions. But I do like to really understand the issues - rather than reading a 'good news' spin that the media are handing out.

Oh.....emotion.

More fun.

Everyone else seems to be discussing facts. You are the one slipping into a defensive mode and starting to call other posters names. That doesn't seem like logic

I call people moronic, not from emotion, but from logic. When someone misinterprets a quite clear post from me and claims I said something I did not say... that's moronic. I call it as I see it. Not defensive, it's honesty.

Horseshit.

Provide the economic forecasts and the data that you are factoring into your opinion.

And...if you really like to understand issues...you'd be ashamed to have that bullshit signature.

I call people moronic, not from emotion, but from logic. When someone misinterprets a quite clear post from me and claims I said something I did not say... that's moronic. I call it as I see it. Not defensive, it's honesty.

More bullshit.

It just seems everyone else on the thread is remaining civil, while you, who has been trained to retain a level head is quickly resorting to name calling

Horseshit.

Provide the economic forecasts and the data that you are factoring into your opinion.

And...if you really like to understand issues...you'd be ashamed to have that bullshit signature.

I research topics for myself. I expect others to do likewise. I should not need to spoon feed people who have a genuine desire to seriously understand the issues.

On the economy, my view - Obama is screwed. Short term and long term... neither is good.

On the military actions/foreign affairs, my view - Obama is screwed. We sacrificed a government that was our ally in Egypt... and now we're being held to ransom by a bunch of Islamists. Libya is going to hell in a handbasket - with military equipment going missing that could be used to kill Americans. Iran and Israel are quite likely to lock horns in the short term future.... and how Obama deals with that could destroy him - from a variety of ways.

On the scandals.... he's got fucking bailout issues that most Americans disagreed with, he's got Solyndra, the boarder issues, the Fast & Furious debacle, the fact that his own fucking administration is employing tax evaders... and that's just for starters.... there's a lot more I could mention.

The OP was really supposed to make people think.... really think and... as Thomas Jefferson said... "question, with boldness"... but as per usual.... the left just run around trivializing everything to carry on living in their fantasyland that Obama has this election locked up.

That's fine. As I said, I should have known better than to expect a decent level of rational discussion.

Dr. Allan J. Lichtman has an interesting background...

Lichtman began teaching at American University in 1973, rising to chair of the History Department, and was named Scholar/Professor of the Year in 1993.

Outside of the classroom, Lichtman has testified as an expert witness on civil rights in more than 70 cases for the U.S. Department of Justice and for civil rights groups such as the NAACP, the Mexican-American Legal Defense and Education Fund and Puerto Rican Legal Defense and Education Fund, and the Southern Poverty Law Center. He also consulted for Vice President Al Gore and Senator Edward Kennedy. He assisted the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights investigation into voting irregularities in Florida during the 2000 election,[1] submitting an extensive report of his statistical analysis of balloting problems. Lichtman concluded "there were major racial disparities in ballot rejection rates".[2]

Allan Lichtman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

True... but there are other factors at play. High gas prices (and I suspect the GOP will use that quote from Obama from back in the day when he talked about energy prices 'necessarily' having to 'skyrocket'.

When we talk about 'recession', the technical term is one thing.... but... and this is also from academically verified research... how people 'feel' about their own short term and long term prospects absolutely do influence their behavior. It affects their views, their politics and how they view the country's success. So, while it may give a technical 'true', I don't think it's a lock up for Obama on that. Again, the coming months will tell more... but it's not a 'true' or a 'false' from my perspective.

I can understand why you want it to be a 'true'.

Per your own poll, it looks back at already conducted presidential elections and assigns key factors. In looking back it looks at were you in a recession. Not whether people "feel" like it was one.

Dr. Allan J. Lichtman has an interesting background...

Lichtman began teaching at American University in 1973, rising to chair of the History Department, and was named Scholar/Professor of the Year in 1993.

Outside of the classroom, Lichtman has testified as an expert witness on civil rights in more than 70 cases for the U.S. Department of Justice and for civil rights groups such as the NAACP, the Mexican-American Legal Defense and Education Fund and Puerto Rican Legal Defense and Education Fund, and the Southern Poverty Law Center. He also consulted for Vice President Al Gore and Senator Edward Kennedy. He assisted the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights investigation into voting irregularities in Florida during the 2000 election,[1] submitting an extensive report of his statistical analysis of balloting problems. Lichtman concluded "there were major racial disparities in ballot rejection rates".[2]

Allan Lichtman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes, minorities were subject to greater scrutiny, refused ballots, and had ID rejected much more frequently than caucasians. A few counties in this area held VOTING EDUCATION courses for their employees after 2000.

Horseshit.

I research topics for myself. I expect others to do likewise. I should not need to spoon feed people who have a genuine desire to seriously understand the issues.

On the economy, my view - Obama is screwed. Short term and long term... neither is good.

On the military actions/foreign affairs, my view - Obama is screwed. We sacrificed a government that was our ally in Egypt... and now we're being held to ransom by a bunch of Islamists. Libya is going to hell in a handbasket - with military equipment going missing that could be used to kill Americans. Iran and Israel are quite likely to lock horns in the short term future.... and how Obama deals with that could destroy him - from a variety of ways.

On the scandals.... he's got fucking bailout issues that most Americans disagreed with, he's got Solyndra, the boarder issues, the Fast & Furious debacle, the fact that his own fucking administration is employing tax evaders... and that's just for starters.... there's a lot more I could mention.

The OP was really supposed to make people think.... really think and... as Thomas Jefferson said... "question, with boldness"... but as per usual.... the left just run around trivializing everything to carry on living in their fantasyland that Obama has this election locked up.

That's fine. As I said, I should have known better than to expect a decent level of rational discussion.

People have been thinking. You don't like the answers and are getting shitty..

There are no major scandals - no more than the usual for this time of year. No smoking gun. No stained blue dress. No hidden tapes. Nada.

Egypt is being left to its own destiny as it should. That action - and Libya - have yet to run their full course. Neither are even close to being a disaster. And if they do, not his problem. How about those folk just be left alone to sort their own shit out?

Iran is another scandal. Iran has never shown one expansionist bone in its body and has proven over the past 30 years to be nothing more than hot air. Suddenly under Obama's watch it's a problem? Gimme a break!

Forum List

Back