The Kent State Shootings: A Chronology

Kent State Shootings: A Chronology

1970 April 30 President Nixon announces the invasion of Cambodia, triggering massive protests on many of the nation's campuses.
May 2 Ohio National Guardsmen are sent to Kent State after the University's Army R.O.T.C. building is burned down.
May 3 Ohio Governor James A. Rhodes personally appears on campus and promises to use "every force possible" to maintain order. Rhodes denounces the protesters as worse than brownshirts and vows to keep the Guard in Kent "until we get rid of them."
May 4 Four students are killed and nine others are wounded when a contingent of Guardsmen suddenly opens fire during a noontime demonstration.
July 23 Key portions of a secret Justice Department memo are disclosed by the Akron Beacon Journal. The memorandum describes the shootings as unnecessary and urges the Portage County Prosecutor to file criminal charges against six Guardsmen.
July 31 Attorney General John Mitchell says that both students and Guardsmen apparently violated federal laws and hints that a federal grand jury may be convened "if Ohio authorities do not act."
August 3 After consulting with top Guard officials, Governor Rhodes orders that a "special" state grand jury be empaneled.
October 4 The President's Commission on Campus Unrest concludes: "The actions of some students were violent and criminal and some others were dangerous, reckless, and irresponsible." The shootings are branded as "unnecessary, unwarranted, and inexcusable."
October 16 The "special" state grand jury exonerates the Guardsmen, but indicts 25 individuals, mostly students, for a variety of offenses that occurred on campus before the shootings.
Take a look at this, Give a kid a loaded gun put a bunch of rioters in front of him, scare him and he is going to shoot you out of fear. Ever been at the front of a riot. Not very fun time.

Fascism in this country has been around a lot longer than people realize

Pretty sure keeping students from burning down publicly-funded buildings doesn't count as fascism.
Perhaps not. But shooting and killing and maiming them certainly does.

Nope.
The shootings happened at 12:38pm. Classes were changing and the sidewalks of the campus were clogged. The crowd appeared to swell, but it was mainly transient rather than aggressive.

Three of the dead students were felled in a parking lot outside Taylor Hall. They had books, not rocks, by their side.

Love a,munition was discharged en mass on an American college campus. Four students were killed and nine wounded for going to class while a demonstration was happening. The National Guard, the government, did the shooting. And you can't see the taint of Fascism? Do you blame the victims? Isn't that a Conservative cliche?

Either that or you couldn't define Fascism if I spotted you the "authoritarian government" and the "repression of dissent" definitions.

The students were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Reasonable people avoid or leave the area a riot is happening. The NG thought they were being fired on. It was the rioters who must bear responsibility for these deaths. No riot=no deaths.

At what may have been the same instant I had 5 friends and brothers killed and several wounded. We remember Kent State. Who remembers them?

BS..it was hardly a riot. You think it okay to shoot unarmed people? Why am I not surprised....

Pretty sure keeping students from burning down publicly-funded buildings doesn't count as fascism.

Nope.
The shootings happened at 12:38pm. Classes were changing and the sidewalks of the campus were clogged. The crowd appeared to swell, but it was mainly transient rather than aggressive.

Three of the dead students were felled in a parking lot outside Taylor Hall. They had books, not rocks, by their side.

Love a,munition was discharged en mass on an American college campus. Four students were killed and nine wounded for going to class while a demonstration was happening. The National Guard, the government, did the shooting. And you can't see the taint of Fascism? Do you blame the victims? Isn't that a Conservative cliche?

Either that or you couldn't define Fascism if I spotted you the "authoritarian government" and the "repression of dissent" definitions.

I grew up in that time.

You step into the middle of a violent demonstration (four shots fired prior to the Guard shooting) and the results are in your own hands.

Same as today.

Every war is a banker's war and the kids protesting it and protesting the draft were right....they just didn't know how right they were and as to why they were right because the information that we have today wasn't out there then. "Go to Vietnam and stop communism or else we will fight it here" was the battle cry.....so where I have heard that mantra before?..... insert "terrorism" for communism. Communism was funded and propped up by the very ones that control this fiat currency of debt that we call the "dollar" that they can print into oblivion because of the Bretton Woods agreement after WWII that made the "dollar" the world's reserve currency even though it was a bankrupted corporate entity in March of 1933 and was taken into receivership by the foreign owned Federal Reserve central bank of that year. It's all one great big fucking scam and I have done my best to bestow what I have learned due to the thousands of hours of research and reading that I have done on this topic... but still "tribalism" prevails....right versus left, black versus white, brown versus black versus white versus Christian Versus Catholic versus Muslim etc, etc.........we just don 't "get it"...and all the while the walls are closing in on us regardless of your belief system. It's like I am watching a bus about to go over the cliff and I am powerless to stop it.

If there is anyone here that wants to truly see how things got to this point? Go to youtube and watch "JFK To 9/11....Everything Is A Rich Man's Trick"......it's the best documentary ever done and it has no political bent to it. It simply is an incredible history lesson we were not taught in school.

Nope.

I grew up in that time.

You step into the middle of a violent demonstration (four shots fired prior to the Guard shooting) and the results are in your own hands.

Same as today.
So you not only blame the victims, but approve of the shooting. I grew up in that time too. As a matter of fact, I grew up about sixty miles from Kent. Kent State has a branch campus in my hometown. Many of my friends went to Kent State. I have been there many, many times. I've walked the campus, the bell at the bottom of the slope, the walkway up to Taylor Hall. I've seen the bullet holes in a steel sculpture in that parking lot.

I cannot see how an American could justify the murders of their children in college at the hands of the government. Dissent is not a capital offense. In fact, dissent is an American virtue and some might justifiably say American duty. Brutal repression of dissent is a hallmark of Fascism.

As Woody Guthrie asked, which side are you on?

Nope.

I grew up in that time.

Same as today.
So you not only blame the victims, but approve of the shooting. I grew up in that time too. As a matter of fact, I grew up about sixty miles from Kent. Kent State has a branch campus in my hometown. Many of my friends went to Kent State. I have been there many, many times. I've walked the campus, the bell at the bottom of the slope, the walkway up to Taylor Hall. I've seen the bullet holes in a steel sculpture in that parking lot.

I cannot see how an American could justify the murders of their children in college at the hands of the government. Dissent is not a capital offense.

Dissent is not. Shooting, however, is a problem..

Nope.

I grew up in that time.

Same as today.

My ex roommate grew up on the campus of USC Berkeley in the 1970's. His father was a professor of geology there. He said every day he tried to get home from school before the year gassing started. Most days he made it but some days he got gassed.

This was a high school kid from New Zealand getting tear gassed on his way home from school.

1970 April 30 President Nixon announces the invasion of Cambodia, triggering massive protests on many of the nation's campuses.
May 2 Ohio National Guardsmen are sent to Kent State after the University's Army R.O.T.C. building is burned down.
May 3 Ohio Governor James A. Rhodes personally appears on campus and promises to use "every force possible" to maintain order. Rhodes denounces the protesters as worse than brownshirts and vows to keep the Guard in Kent "until we get rid of them."
May 4 Four students are killed and nine others are wounded when a contingent of Guardsmen suddenly opens fire during a noontime demonstration.
July 23 Key portions of a secret Justice Department memo are disclosed by the Akron Beacon Journal. The memorandum describes the shootings as unnecessary and urges the Portage County Prosecutor to file criminal charges against six Guardsmen.
July 31 Attorney General John Mitchell says that both students and Guardsmen apparently violated federal laws and hints that a federal grand jury may be convened "if Ohio authorities do not act."
August 3 After consulting with top Guard officials, Governor Rhodes orders that a "special" state grand jury be empaneled.
October 4 The President's Commission on Campus Unrest concludes: "The actions of some students were violent and criminal and some others were dangerous, reckless, and irresponsible." The shootings are branded as "unnecessary, unwarranted, and inexcusable."
October 16 The "special" state grand jury exonerates the Guardsmen, but indicts 25 individuals, mostly students, for a variety of offenses that occurred on campus before the shootings.

Mimics the current atmosphere of exonerating police officers who blatantly murder people. A man is transported in a police vehicle and shows up with a severed spine and dies. Exoneration. It is a story of the police in the old Soviet Union verbatim, yet it is accepted in the US as normal now.

When deciding who to blame for their deaths the authorities blame unarmed students speaking loudly and being raucus. Who were then met with a hail of bullets from their own countrymen. Students, at a place of learning, murdered for speaking. Stalin, Kruschev, Pol Pot, Saddam Hussein, they'd all approve.

You have a vivid imagination and a tendency to drivel bullshit.
Get a clue, arson, assault and battery, millions of dollars of private and public property damage or destruction and attempted murder are waay more than "speaking loudly and being raucus". The rioters (only some of whom were students) wanted and planned a violent confrontation and they got it. And while there is plenty of blame to go around, it was the criminal actions of were responsible for these deaths.
Funny you should mention Stalin, Khrushchev, and Pol Pot. The movers and shakers of the anti-war movement were hard core communists who had contact with the communist North Vietnamise. I have to wonder if the killings were exactly what they were hoping for so they could proclaim them martyrs.

Nope.

I grew up in that time.

Same as today.

I cannot see how an American could justify the murders of their children in college at the hands of the government. Dissent is not a capital offense.

Dissent is not. Shooting, however, is a problem..
The Guard did the shooting.

The students were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Reasonable people avoid or leave the area a riot is happening. The NG thought they were being fired on. It was the rioters who must bear responsibility for these deaths. No riot=no deaths.

At what may have been the same instant I had 5 friends and brothers killed and several wounded. We remember Kent State. Who remembers them?

BS..it was hardly a riot. You think it okay to shoot unarmed people? Why am I not surprised....

BS yourself it was a most serious riot which is why the National Guard were called in to begin with. No riot=no National guard=nobody killed.

""Go to Vietnam and stop communism or else we will fight it here" was the battle cry.."

Which is just what happened except while our boys were winning the war in Vietnam the civilians lost to the communists at home.

Some of you stupid shitpiles do not even Know the real facts of the Kent State shootings, and you opine as if you were there. There had been days of semi, and violent protests there was an attack on the Rotc building on the campus, and threats to blow it up. The Guard was sent in response to those threats. The students who were shot were in a parking lot behind the rioters and the Guardsmen shot over the heads of the line of rioters and their rounds came down in the parking lot hitting people who had nothing whatsoever to do with the riots mostly. It was a bad call to shoot anything into the air around such a populated area without knowing what was within the range and your line of fire. You screwhead liberals want to blame everything on the people protecting the public instead of the shit that starts these things. THE FACTS are that Nixons expansion would in almost assured probability have brought a victory in the Vietnam war and saved hundreds of thousands of peoples lives as the first few attacks in Laos, and Cambodia destroyed massive supply centers in both countries, and would have made it untenable for the NVA, or the KRVC to continue to try to occupy SVN. There is a law against inciting riots, The people who instigate or organize a riot are in fact deemed responsible for any and all damage or injuries that occour. It is time it was enforced in it's entirety. Making BLM, the liberal speech NAZIs and the dimshit party pay for their actions in real monetary and penal retribution.

Mimics the current atmosphere of exonerating police officers who blatantly murder people. A man is transported in a police vehicle and shows up with a severed spine and dies. Exoneration. It is a story of the police in the old Soviet Union verbatim, yet it is accepted in the US as normal now.

When deciding who to blame for their deaths the authorities blame unarmed students speaking loudly and being raucus. Who were then met with a hail of bullets from their own countrymen. Students, at a place of learning, murdered for speaking. Stalin, Kruschev, Pol Pot, Saddam Hussein, they'd all approve.

You have a vivid imagination and a tendency to drivel bullshit.
Get a clue, arson, assault and battery, millions of dollars of private and public property damage or destruction and attempted murder are waay more than "speaking loudly and being raucus". The rioters (only some of whom were students) wanted and planned a violent confrontation and they got it. And while there is plenty of blame to go around, it was the criminal actions of were responsible for these deaths.
Funny you should mention Stalin, Khrushchev, and Pol Pot. The movers and shakers of the anti-war movement were hard core communists who had contact with the communist North Vietnamise. I have to wonder if the killings were exactly what they were hoping for so they could proclaim them martyrs.

Tin foil hat conspiracy theories.

Ok then bye bye now.

Forum List

Back