The Kent State Shootings: A Chronology

9thIDdoc

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2011
Kent State Shootings: A Chronology

1970 April 30 President Nixon announces the invasion of Cambodia, triggering massive protests on many of the nation's campuses.
May 2 Ohio National Guardsmen are sent to Kent State after the University's Army R.O.T.C. building is burned down.
May 3 Ohio Governor James A. Rhodes personally appears on campus and promises to use "every force possible" to maintain order. Rhodes denounces the protesters as worse than brownshirts and vows to keep the Guard in Kent "until we get rid of them."
May 4 Four students are killed and nine others are wounded when a contingent of Guardsmen suddenly opens fire during a noontime demonstration.
July 23 Key portions of a secret Justice Department memo are disclosed by the Akron Beacon Journal. The memorandum describes the shootings as unnecessary and urges the Portage County Prosecutor to file criminal charges against six Guardsmen.
July 31 Attorney General John Mitchell says that both students and Guardsmen apparently violated federal laws and hints that a federal grand jury may be convened "if Ohio authorities do not act."
August 3 After consulting with top Guard officials, Governor Rhodes orders that a "special" state grand jury be empaneled.
October 4 The President's Commission on Campus Unrest concludes: "The actions of some students were violent and criminal and some others were dangerous, reckless, and irresponsible." The shootings are branded as "unnecessary, unwarranted, and inexcusable."
October 16 The "special" state grand jury exonerates the Guardsmen, but indicts 25 individuals, mostly students, for a variety of offenses that occurred on campus before the shootings.

1970 April 30 President Nixon announces the invasion of Cambodia, triggering massive protests on many of the nation's campuses.
May 2 Ohio National Guardsmen are sent to Kent State after the University's Army R.O.T.C. building is burned down.
May 3 Ohio Governor James A. Rhodes personally appears on campus and promises to use "every force possible" to maintain order. Rhodes denounces the protesters as worse than brownshirts and vows to keep the Guard in Kent "until we get rid of them."
May 4 Four students are killed and nine others are wounded when a contingent of Guardsmen suddenly opens fire during a noontime demonstration.
July 23 Key portions of a secret Justice Department memo are disclosed by the Akron Beacon Journal. The memorandum describes the shootings as unnecessary and urges the Portage County Prosecutor to file criminal charges against six Guardsmen.
July 31 Attorney General John Mitchell says that both students and Guardsmen apparently violated federal laws and hints that a federal grand jury may be convened "if Ohio authorities do not act."
August 3 After consulting with top Guard officials, Governor Rhodes orders that a "special" state grand jury be empaneled.
October 4 The President's Commission on Campus Unrest concludes: "The actions of some students were violent and criminal and some others were dangerous, reckless, and irresponsible." The shootings are branded as "unnecessary, unwarranted, and inexcusable."
October 16 The "special" state grand jury exonerates the Guardsmen, but indicts 25 individuals, mostly students, for a variety of offenses that occurred on campus before the shootings.

Fascism in this country has been around a lot longer than people realize because it has only affected them indirectly and covertly but the police state that we find ourselves in now and the free access to ALL of our information is a KGB wet dream.

A situation got out of hand.

Ruby Ridge.

Waco.

It happens. it's sad. Both sides are to blame.

But we never really learn, do we?

Living at the time and being a new Navy recruit the fear of he protestors was real. It was like they were an invading army not merely students. I was in "A" school at the time and May Day was coming and the fear of an attack was palatable. So they took us out of class and taught us riot control. We learned by using axe handles and drilled on each other blocking swings.

I weighed in at about 150 lbs and my friend did also. So we took it easy on each other, so it wasn't bad. One day my buddy is somewhere else so I get Clem Kadiddlehopper who took the whole thing very seriously. He swung at me with all his might. I blocked his swings but he was literally breaking my hands. So that is when I learned. I learned not to let him get to the point where he is swinging down on me. As soon as the instructor yelled which way to swing I was on the guy and knock him back before he could kill me. Later in drills the instructor would randomly attack the formation. When he came after me I did exactly the same thing, I believe he was impressed. If it were for real I would have blocked the guy then would have been able to knock them out, which I don't think I would have done.

When I was on Shore Patrol they gave me a baton, I told them I didn't want it. I didn't want it because I didn't want a bigger guy, or crazier guy, taking it from me and putting it where I didn't want it. The only way I would have used it was to stop a fight where I thought someone might get hurt. Which thankfully never happened. One time at the EM club an employee was cleaning up by just shoving everything into a garbage can, glassware and all. An Officer who was in the club for some reason asked if I was going to do something about it. I politely said, no sir.

My point is that Kent State was a tragic incident. But don't judge those young men for what they did unless you walked in their boots. It was a different time, a scary time.

The students were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Reasonable people avoid or leave the area a riot is happening. The NG thought they were being fired on. It was the rioters who must bear responsibility for these deaths. No riot=no deaths.

At what may have been the same instant I had 5 friends and brothers killed and several wounded. We remember Kent State. Who remembers them?

Living at the time and being a new Navy recruit the fear of he protestors was real. It was like they were an invading army not merely students. I was in "A" school at the time and May Day was coming and the fear of an attack was palatable. So they took us out of class and taught us riot control. We learned by using axe handles and drilled on each other blocking swings.

I weighed in at about 150 lbs and my friend did also. So we took it easy on each other, so it wasn't bad. One day my buddy is somewhere else so I get Clem Kadiddlehopper who took the whole thing very seriously. He swung at me with all his might. I blocked his swings but he was literally breaking my hands. So that is when I learned. I learned not to let him get to the point where he is swinging down on me. As soon as the instructor yelled which way to swing I was on the guy and knock him back before he could kill me. Later in drills the instructor would randomly attack the formation. When he came after me I did exactly the same thing, I believe he was impressed. If it were for real I would have blocked the guy then would have been able to knock them out, which I don't think I would have done.

When I was on Shore Patrol they gave me a baton, I told them I didn't want it. I didn't want it because I didn't want a bigger guy, or crazier guy, taking it from me and putting it where I didn't want it. The only way I would have used it was to stop a fight where I thought someone might get hurt. Which thankfully never happened. One time at the EM club an employee was cleaning up by just shoving everything into a garbage can, glassware and all. An Officer who was in the club for some reason asked if I was going to do something about it. I politely said, no sir.

My point is that Kent State was a tragic incident. But don't judge those young men for what they did unless you walked in their boots. It was a different time, a scary time.

Not far off from these times.

Some of the riots on campus is reminiscent but I think that the snowflakes don't have what those during the 70s and 80s had.

Some of the riots on campus is reminiscent but I think that the snowflakes don't have what those during the 70s and 80s had.

You mean balls and an ability to think independently right ? I would have to agree.

Mimics the current atmosphere of exonerating police officers who blatantly murder people. A man is transported in a police vehicle and shows up with a severed spine and dies. Exoneration. It is a story of the police in the old Soviet Union verbatim, yet it is accepted in the US as normal now.

When deciding who to blame for their deaths the authorities blame unarmed students speaking loudly and being raucus. Who were then met with a hail of bullets from their own countrymen. Students, at a place of learning, murdered for speaking. Stalin, Kruschev, Pol Pot, Saddam Hussein, they'd all approve.

1. "KENT, Ohio -- A noisy, violent altercation and four pistol shots took place about 70 seconds before Ohio National Guardsmen opened fire on antiwar protesters at Kent State University, according to a new analysis of a 40-year-old audiotape of the event.
The discovery adds new perspective to -- and raises new questions about -- one of the signature events of the 20th century, after four decades of spirited discussion and research."
Kent State tape indicates altercation and pistol fire preceded National Guard shootings (audio) | cleveland.com

Kent State tape indicates altercation and pistol fire preceded National Guard shootings (audio)

1. .... new evidence released by the FBI as to the causes of the Kent State shootings of 1970. “Previously undisclosed FBI documents suggest that the Kent State antiwar protests were more meticulously planned than originally thought and that one or more gunshots may have been fired at embattled Ohio National Guardsmen before their killings of four students and woundings of at least nine others on that searing day in May 1970….Yet the declassified FBI files show the FBI already had developed credible evidence suggesting that there was indeed a sniper and that one or more shots may have been fired at the guardsmen first….And a memorandum sent to FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover on May 19, 1970, referred to bullet holes found in a tree and a statue — evidence, the report stated, that “indicated that at least two shots had been fired at the National Guard.” New light shed on Kent State killings

BTW, nothing ever happened that day in May. We sat with our riot gear and played cards all day, thank goodness.

Forum List

Back