The Kamado Joe II

Discussion in 'Food & Wine' started by HereWeGoAgain, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Flash

Flash Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35,176

You have a hard time with reading comprehension, don't you?

If you read what I wrote earlier you will see that I acknowledged that an offset firebox smoker will put out a better product than a komodo type smoker. I use a BGE because I can put out pretty damn good BBQ without having to spend all day long tending to a firebox. 90+% of the flavor for 10% of the effort. I used an offset firebox smoker for almost 30 years, by the way.

There is a difference between restaurant BBQ and competition and backyard BBQ. It has to do with having to do mass amounts and having it ready for a customer. Also trying to make a profit. Most pitmasters that run a BBQ restaurant don't cook the same quality for their customers that they would cook for themselves or what they would do in a competition.

I have eaten at hundreds of BBQ joints in many different places across the country over the decades and while some has been good a lot of it of it is mediocre. Some of it has actually been bad even though when you walk into the restaurant you see competition awards displayed. There have been a few exceptions. Franklin is one of the exceptions. He has figured out how to put a quality product on the table at his restaurant.

There are only a relatively small number of really good competition BBQ pitmasters. Many of the individuals and teams that go to competitions don't turn out as good product as that they tell you that they do.

2. HereWeGoAgain

HereWeGoAgain Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +38,626
    The Kamado Joe finally made it here!!
    Paid the driver $50 bucks to hang around and help me get it in the backyard and on the stand.
    Assembly was very simple.
    Unfortunately the charcoal I ordered with it didnt make it.
    After a quick run to Academy for some lump oak I fired it up for a test burn.
    All I can say is Holy Shit!! This thing holds temps better than my GE Profile oven!!!

Filled it up with half a load and fired it up. Let it get to 325 and choked off the vents to the recommended points and the thing settled at 400 and stayed there!!
    It held that temp for four hours with no adjustments,I've never had a natural fuel burning pit hold temps like this!! Absolutely incredible!!!

Hadn't planned on cooking anything for the test burn but the wife said....why not throw on some of our home ground hamburger and make a couple of burgers.

They were fantastic! We're at hour six and the vents are wide open trying to burn off the test run and the pit is still at 400 degrees.

All I can say is if you like to grill or smoke in the backyard?
    Get one!!!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  3. Marion Morrison

Marion Morrison Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,880
    All I know is low and slow. Learned a couple tricks from a couple friends, one's gone now. I'm listening in here too, hehe.

4. HereWeGoAgain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +38,626
    I hear ya.
    I've always been a proponent of low and slow,in fact I spent my whole BBQ life doing just that with great results.
    Then came Harry Soo,yeah his name sounds like a good joke but this guy knows his shit and made me rethink things.
    High temps early for bark formation followed by low temps for collagen break down.
    This is his basic process. And I have to say it turns out some bad ass brisket.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Marion Morrison

Marion Morrison Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,880
    Ha! Sounds like my aunt's method for cooking a bird. Hers was always juicy, back in the day before injections.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Larsky

Larsky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,200
  7. HereWeGoAgain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +38,626
    Holy Shit!!!
    Thats about what I have invested in all my cookers combined!!
    I thought the $2700 I spent on the Mak 2 Star was up there but thats fucking insane!!!
    My Fire Magic gas grill was a 1/3 of that!!!
    Hell,my whole fucking outdoor kitchen including the Fire Magic gas grill,the large single burner for crawfish,the sink and refrigerator was only a couple thousand more!

Who the Hell are they selling these things to?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Larsky

Larsky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,200
    "Add to cart". ROFL

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  9. HereWeGoAgain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings: