The Kamado Joe II

In the 1970's we had a water smoker that was bullet shaped...Made the inside a pink and the outside black..

WOW!!!!
Holy Gee you just explained smoked chicken from the last thousand years!!!!
Or maybe the smoke ring on beef from the same time frame!!!!

Dude....just STFU about what you know nothing about.
ChefAlarm | ThermoWorks they use time also...It's nothing new...

LOL....
I have well over a thousand bucks of thermoworks stuff.
Try again.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_31b.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_31b.jpeg
    445.4 KB · Views: 53
  • fullsizeoutput_136.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_136.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
I don't have a KJ but I do have an XL Big Green Egg.

The komodo ceramic smokers are great.

The best BBQ comes from an open pit but very few people know how to do it right. It is also a lot of trouble.

The next best is the offset firebox smokers if you burn wood in it. However, it takes a lot of tending to keep it going. Most people don't have the time to do it right.

Third comes the komodo type smokers like the KJ and the BGE. They do great with minimal tending. To me the perfect trade off between flavor and effort.

The easiest to use are the pellet smokers but you never get the dept of smoke flavor.

Electric smokers are even more easy but not real BBQ.

Kettle grills can work as a smoker and actually do a good job if you know what you are doing.

I have a good Weber Genesis gas grill but hardly ever use it. Maybe for hot dogs or maybe to put a quick char on ribs after they have been smoked.

I use my four burner Camp Chef griddle much more than I use the gas grill.

The only BBQ comes from offset smokers.
Franklin's BBQ is known as the best BBQ in the U.S.
Franklin's BBQ.....

Aaron Franklin Built the Best BBQ Joint In America By Giving a Damn

The best BBQ comes from an open pit but very few people know how to do it right. It is also a lot of trouble.

The next best is the offset firebox smokers if you burn wood in it. However, it takes a lot of tending to keep it going. Most people don't have the time to do it right.

Third comes the komodo type smokers like the KJ and the BGE. They do great with minimal tending. To me the perfect trade off between flavor and effort.

The easiest to use are the pellet smokers but you never get the dept of smoke flavor.

Kettle grills can work as a smoker and actually do a good job if you know what you are doing.

I have a good Weber Genesis gas grill but hardly ever use it. Maybe for hot dogs or maybe to put a quick char on ribs after they have been smoked.

Franklin's BBQ.....

I got a New Braunfels unit. No box. Good for offset slow and low.

Franklin's BBQ.....

They make a good smoker.
What model did ya get?

Franklin's BBQ.....

I have eaten at Franklin's. It is good BBQ. Most restaurant BBQ is not all that great but Franklin has managed to keep it good. I ate there when the wait was about 45 minutes. I would not wait four hours like many people have to do nowadays.

The best restaurant BBQ I have ever eaten was a little place off I-75 near Tifton Georgia but it burned down over 30 years ago.

I can do home BBQ as good or better than 95% of the BBQ places in the US. Most good seasoned backyard pit masters can.

Franklin's BBQ.....

They make a good smoker.
What model did ya get?
Not sure. Basic, about 32x15, no box. The temp control is great, like the porcelainized grills.

Lots of ribs and chickens.

Franklin's BBQ.....

I have eaten at Franklin's. It is good BBQ. Most restaurant BBQ is not all that great but Franklin has managed to keep it good. I ate there when the wait was about 45 minutes. I would not wait four hours like many people have to do nowadays.

The best restaurant BBQ I have ever eaten was a little place off I-75 near Tifton Georgia but it burned down over 30 years ago.

I can do home BBQ as good or better than 95% of the BBQ places in the US. Most good seasoned backyard pit masters can.

LOL...I've been BBQing for over thirty years several of those years in competition.
Including the Houston LiveStock show and Rodeo,the biggest comp in the U.S.
I find it hard to believe you're better than those competitors.

Franklin's BBQ.....

LOL...I've been BBQing for over thirty years several of those years in competition.

I have been BBQing since the 1950s when my Dad taught me. He taught me how to do open pit. Did some regional competition back in the 1990s but never had the time to do it like it needs to be done. Had to make a living for my family. I can do backyard BBQ better than most restaurants.

You can't sell competition BBQ. You would go broke if you did. You don't make competition BBQ in your backyard. Your family has different requirements than a competition judge.

There is a big difference between a competitor and somebody trying to make a living selling BBQ. The problem is that most BBQ restaurants cut corners to make a profit. For every good BBQ restaurant like Franklin there are several hundred mediocre restaurants like Sonny's.

Anyway I am not the food police. Nor am I in competition with anybody. I turn out as good BBQ on my BGE as it needs to be and as good or better than most I can buy anywhere, with a few exceptions.

Franklin's BBQ.....

I have been BBQing since the 1950s when my Dad taught me. He taught me how to do open pit. Did some regional competition back in the 1990s but never had the time to do it like it needs to be done. Had to make a living for my family. I can do backyard BBQ better than most restaurants.

You can't sell competition BBQ. You would go broke if you did. You don't make competition BBQ in your backyard. Your family has different requirements than a competition judge.

There is a big difference between a competitor and somebody trying to make a living selling BBQ. The problem is that most BBQ restaurants cut corners to make a profit. For every good BBQ restaurant like Franklin there are several hundred mediocre restaurants like Sonny's.

Anyway I am not the food police. Nor am I in competition with anybody. I turn out as good BBQ on my BGE as it needs to be and as good or better than most I can buy anywhere, with a few exceptions.

Bullshit.
There's no way you turn out better BBQ on a Green Egg than the pitmasters across Texas or any other state that uses offset stick burners.
I dont care if they're from fucken New Jersey they'd still kick your ass.

Franklin's BBQ.....

Bullshit.
There's no way you turn out better BBQ on a Green Egg than the pitmasters across Texas or any other state that uses offset stick burners.
I dont care if they're from fucken New Jersey they'd still kick your ass.

You have a hard time with reading comprehension, don't you?

If you read what I wrote earlier you will see that I acknowledged that an offset firebox smoker will put out a better product than a komodo type smoker. I use a BGE because I can put out pretty damn good BBQ without having to spend all day long tending to a firebox. 90+% of the flavor for 10% of the effort. I used an offset firebox smoker for almost 30 years, by the way.

There is a difference between restaurant BBQ and competition and backyard BBQ. It has to do with having to do mass amounts and having it ready for a customer. Also trying to make a profit. Most pitmasters that run a BBQ restaurant don't cook the same quality for their customers that they would cook for themselves or what they would do in a competition.

I have eaten at hundreds of BBQ joints in many different places across the country over the decades and while some has been good a lot of it of it is mediocre. Some of it has actually been bad even though when you walk into the restaurant you see competition awards displayed. There have been a few exceptions. Franklin is one of the exceptions. He has figured out how to put a quality product on the table at his restaurant.

There are only a relatively small number of really good competition BBQ pitmasters. Many of the individuals and teams that go to competitions don't turn out as good product as that they tell you that they do.

The Kamado Joe finally made it here!!
Paid the driver $50 bucks to hang around and help me get it in the backyard and on the stand.
Assembly was very simple.
Unfortunately the charcoal I ordered with it didnt make it.
After a quick run to Academy for some lump oak I fired it up for a test burn.
All I can say is Holy Shit!! This thing holds temps better than my GE Profile oven!!!

Filled it up with half a load and fired it up. Let it get to 325 and choked off the vents to the recommended points and the thing settled at 400 and stayed there!!
It held that temp for four hours with no adjustments,I've never had a natural fuel burning pit hold temps like this!! Absolutely incredible!!!

Hadn't planned on cooking anything for the test burn but the wife said....why not throw on some of our home ground hamburger and make a couple of burgers.

They were fantastic! We're at hour six and the vents are wide open trying to burn off the test run and the pit is still at 400 degrees.

All I can say is if you like to grill or smoke in the backyard?
Get one!!!

Last edited:
All I know is low and slow. Learned a couple tricks from a couple friends, one's gone now. I'm listening in here too, hehe.

All I know is low and slow. Learned a couple tricks from a couple friends, one's gone now. I'm listening in here too, hehe.

I hear ya.
I've always been a proponent of low and slow,in fact I spent my whole BBQ life doing just that with great results.
Then came Harry Soo,yeah his name sounds like a good joke but this guy knows his shit and made me rethink things.
High temps early for bark formation followed by low temps for collagen break down.
This is his basic process. And I have to say it turns out some bad ass brisket.

I hear ya.
I've always been a proponent of low and slow,in fact I spent my whole BBQ life doing just that with great results.
Then came Harry Soo,yeah his name sounds like a good joke but this guy knows his shit and made me rethink things.
High temps early for bark formation followed by low temps for collagen break down.
This is his basic process. And I have to say it turns out some bad ass brisket.

Ha! Sounds like my aunt's method for cooking a bird. Hers was always juicy, back in the day before injections.

Just saw this on Stephen Raichlen's show, had to check the price. Holy crap.
Freestanding Smoker Cabinet

Holy Shit!!!
Thats about what I have invested in all my cookers combined!!
I thought the $2700 I spent on the Mak 2 Star was up there but thats fucking insane!!!
My Fire Magic gas grill was a 1/3 of that!!!
Hell,my whole fucking outdoor kitchen including the Fire Magic gas grill,the large single burner for crawfish,the sink and refrigerator was only a couple thousand more!

Who the Hell are they selling these things to?

Forum List

Back