The Justice Department Blocked AT&T from Gobbling up T-Mobile

:clap2: Fucking Awesome. Someone has to stop At&T and their wanted monopoly.

T-Mobile users rejoice at Justice Dept. blocking AT&T merger - CNN.com

Monopoly? Puhleeze. As I understand it, T-Mobile is the #4 wireless provider, and AT&T is #2. For those of us who can count, that means there's a #1 and a #3, at least. Hardly a monopoly, and hardly likely to allow a merged company to start hiking prices and blowing off the need for technological advances.

And that's completely leaving aside the fact that there's no way to HAVE a monopoly in a market like the US without government intervention. :eusa_hand:

They're afraid that by allowing this merger, there will only be two viable companies left. Sprint is about to go the way of Pontiac, Saturn, and Oldsmobile. What the government might allow however is a T-Mobile/Sprint merger. That would only be of lasting benefit if T-Mobile had controlling power though. Sprint is such a mess right now, if they had controlling power in a merger, they would just bring everything down.

WE have got LIBERALS WHO CONTINUALLY SCREAM ABOUT jobs MOVING OVERSEAS --AND THAT corporations aren't PEOPLE--and then bring out the POM'S POM;S WHEN THEY'R HERO comes out and BREAKS up JOBS aka corporations-- in this county--AND THOSE evil CORPORATIONS are then forced to send JOBS oversea's.

I am sick and tied of their freakin dumb--ass B.S

Last edited:
Monopoly? Puhleeze. As I understand it, T-Mobile is the #4 wireless provider, and AT&T is #2. For those of us who can count, that means there's a #1 and a #3, at least. Hardly a monopoly, and hardly likely to allow a merged company to start hiking prices and blowing off the need for technological advances.

And that's completely leaving aside the fact that there's no way to HAVE a monopoly in a market like the US without government intervention. :eusa_hand:

They're afraid that by allowing this merger, there will only be two viable companies left. Sprint is about to go the way of Pontiac, Saturn, and Oldsmobile. What the government might allow however is a T-Mobile/Sprint merger. That would only be of lasting benefit if T-Mobile had controlling power though. Sprint is such a mess right now, if they had controlling power in a merger, they would just bring everything down.

WE have got LIBERALS WHO CONTINUALLY SCREAM ABOUT jobs MOVING OVERSEAS --AND THAT corporations aren't PEOPLE--and then bring out the POM'S POM;S WHEN THEY'R HERO comes out and BREAKS up JOBS aka corporations-- in this county--AND THOSE evil CORPORATIONS are then forced to send JOBS oversea's.

Cons are determined to give all power to corporations.

Are you implying Sprint is on the verge of collapse? If so I would like to read up on any info you might be able to link me too.

T-Mobile and Sprint use two different technologies. T-Mobile uses GSM [SIM cards] and Sprint uses CDMA. I'd think that would prevent them from merging.

Last edited:

Take two Quaaludes and chill dude.. :cuckoo:

But in the Justice Department's eyes -- and anecdotally those of T-Mobile's customer base as well -- the costs of the merger may outweigh the benefits. "The combination of AT&T and T-Mobile would result in tens of millions of consumers all across the United States facing higher prices, fewer choices and lower quality products for mobile wireless services," said deputy attorney general James M. Cole in the Justice filing.

Tell me something, what do you have against unions and American jobs?

What do you have against competition and efficient use of available resources?

Do you have any actual reason for thinking that the AT&T T-Mobile merger would be a bad thing, or are you just a brainless Democrat who hates corporations?

AT&T has one of the worst customer service rating in US, where as T-Mobile has one of the best. As a T-Mobile customer, I want T-Moble to be T-Mobile.
Also, in a capitalistic economy, competition is good and favors the consumer.

Your T-Mobile is going to be bought by someone or go out of business completely by the end of next year, so you are not going to get to keep "your" T-Mobile anyway. Would you rather have them bought by AT&T or Korean Cellular?

Haven't read enough about this decision to judge whether it makes sense.

I think we all agree that monopolies aren't to our benefit generally, but as to whether is merger would have created a too powerful combine in communications I cannot say.

If the merger goes through and AT&T manages to keep all of T-Mobiles current customers they will have still have fewer customers than the next two cell providers combined. That is no where near the point where the DOJ should step in.

First of all, it's quite easy to have a monopoly in certain industries without government intervention. They're not called natural monopolies for their nice green color.

Second, it's The Sherman Anti-Trust act, not the Sherman Anti-Monopoly act. A business doesn't have to be a monopoly to run afoul of the law.

Can you explain how this fell afoul of the law?

I didn't think so.

AT&T has one of the worst customer service rating in US, where as T-Mobile has one of the best. As a T-Mobile customer, I want T-Moble to be T-Mobile.
Also, in a capitalistic economy, competition is good and favors the consumer.

T-Mobile is struggling, at& t has committed to adding 5000 jobs and investing 4 billion in infrastructure to bring them both up to parity and snuff.

You do know that T Mobile is owned by Deutsche Telekom right? And that they have stopped spending for the last 2 years in capital expenditures for T Mobile and keep it competitive? They gave up on it.

He obviously is not paying any attention at all. T-Mobile no longer holds the top spot for customer service, and hasn't for about 2 years. Tracfone is actually number one, and Verizon is the best large carrier.

The Department of Justice vs. AT&T

Peter Suderman | August 31, 2011

It would also give AT&T access to the scarce wireless spectrum that T-Mobile currently owns—spectrum that's currently difficult to acquire thanks to federal rules that end up creating artificial scarcity. That additional spectrum would likely substantially hasten AT&T's ability to roll out faster data networks. Obviously there's no gaurantee that the deal would mean better service for customers, but the upside, if it works, seems reasonably clear: More robust service, and a faster network.

Naturally, Obama's Department of Justice has filed an antitrust lawsuit intended to block AT&T's acquisition on the grounds that if the two companies merged, consumers would suffer.

The news was unexpected—AT&T officials claim they were given no notice—but it's not exactly surprising given the current administration's aggressive stance toward Internet providers, and wireless carriers in particular. Under President Obama, the Federal Communications Commission not only spent considerable time and effort passing net neutrality regulations, it's also begun paving the way for increased regulation of the wireless sector.

The Department of Justice vs. AT&T - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

This is why the economy sucks moose cock, we have a Obama Justice Department that arms Mexican drug cartels to kill American border guards and stifle our cell companies from reducing prices and increase service

Last edited:
They all piggy back off of each other. Or did you think coast to coast coverage was magical?

The sheer logic failure in this thread is as astounding as the lefts sudden willingness to lose jobs just to spite ATT. Very telling...........

and punt...Good job..

There is no punt. ITS QUITE CLEAR THAT MANY ON THE LEFT DONT GIVE A FUCK ABOUT JOBS IF IT GETS IN THE WAY ON INTERFERING WITH A LARGE COMPANY.

Seriously thats the only concern im seeing in this thread. ATT this ATT that, not one mention of the 10's of thousands of jobs that will be lost if this merger isnt approved. Yet in the very next thread you will scream WHERE ARE THE JOBS JOBS JOBS you cant fucking have it both ways

Blocking this merger doesn't change the demand for cell phones and cell phone plans. The void you claim will be created will be filled.

you always this stupid?

And nasty.

Bad combination.

And the Justice department needs to do more of this. Conglomerates, Monopolies = Job Cuts, Higher Prices, Less Competition.

There is no punt. ITS QUITE CLEAR THAT MANY ON THE LEFT DONT GIVE A FUCK ABOUT JOBS IF IT GETS IN THE WAY ON INTERFERING WITH A LARGE COMPANY.

Seriously thats the only concern im seeing in this thread. ATT this ATT that, not one mention of the 10's of thousands of jobs that will be lost if this merger isnt approved. Yet in the very next thread you will scream WHERE ARE THE JOBS JOBS JOBS you cant fucking have it both ways

yeah thats what you are trying to make the argument about and clearly its not.
See capitalism works best when you have a lot in the pot, and not just a few choices.
See if you are going to constantly argue for free market capitalism, at least you should understand it first.
Its clear you dont.

Both companies want the merger numbskull. Thats as free market as it gets except of course for the obstructionist govt that would rather see them go under and lose all the jobs. Where was that mentality with the banks and auto companies? Im deffinately not the hypocrite here thank you very much.

Would you approve of a Verizon-ATT Wireless merger (ATT Wireless is not the AT&T of old, by the way)? After all, it would be far more efficient and there would be less duplication of services.

Duectch Telecom is pretty brutal when it comes to non performing overseas assets. They also owned DHL, which they tried to sell. When the sale didn't go through, they just closed down the operation over the period of a week.

You TMobile people may just find your phone won't work one day because DT walked away from it.

you always this stupid?

Incisive rebuttal. I hardly know which of these copious facts to start responding to first. :cuckoo:

Duectch Telecom is pretty brutal when it comes to non performing overseas assets. They also owned DHL, which they tried to sell. When the sale didn't go through, they just closed down the operation over the period of a week.

You TMobile people may just find your phone won't work one day because DT walked away from it.

bingo;)

Wonder what Insiders make killings on futures trading KNOWING how the JD would come down on this merger?

I'll bet the SEC does, too.

Of course thanks to the lack of owership transparency, the SEC will probably never know.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back