The Judeo-Christian Nation, America.

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
1. “On April 6, 2009, President Obama, speaking halfway across the world in Turkey, effectively made a shocking proclamation: that the United States did not consider itself a Judeo-Christian nation. "Although, as I mentioned, we have a very large Christian population, we do not consider ourselves a Christian nation or a Jewish nation," he said.

2. Our nation's history provides overwhelming evidence that America was birthed upon Judeo-Christian principles. The first act of America's first Congress in 1774 was to ask a minister to open with prayer and to lead Congress in the reading of four chapters of the Bible. In 1776, in approving the Declaration of Independence, our founders acknowledged that all men "are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights..." and noted that they were relying "on the protection of DivineProvidence" in the founding of this country. John Quincy Adams said, "The Declaration of Independence laid the cornerstone of human government upon the first precepts of Christianity." Also, the signers of the 1783 Treaty of Paris, which ended the Revolutionary War, insisted the treaty begin with the phrase, "In the name of the most holy and undivided Trinity."

3. In 1800, Congress approved the use of the Capitol building as a church. Both chambers approved the measure, with president of the Senate, Thomas Jefferson, giving the approval in that chamber. Throughout his terms as both vice president and president, Jefferson attended church at the Capitol, including Jan. 3, 1802, just two days after writing his infamous letter in which he penned the phrase "the wall of separation between church and state." Nearly 100 years later, in 1892, in Church of the Holy Trinity v. United States, the United States Supreme Court held that America is a "Christian nation."

4. Presidents Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Jackson, McKinley, Teddy Roosevelt, Wilson, Hoover, FDR, Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Reagan all referenced the importance of Judeo-Christian principles in the birth and growth of our country. In fact, President Franklin Roosevelt led our nation in a six-minute prayer before the invasion of Normandy, the greatest military invasion in history where freedom was protected for the world, asking God to preserve our Christian civilization. After that great war, Congress came together and jointly recognized that our strength was not in our weapons, our economic institutions, or the wisdom of our committees—it is in God. Congress therefore adopted "In God We Trust" as our national motto and it was engraved in the wall in front of which the speaker of the House of Representatives stands.

5. …While America has always welcomed individuals of diverse faiths and nonfaith, we have never ceased to be a Judeo-Christian nation. That small minority could tear references of faith off of every building and document across our nation, but it would not change the fact that we were built on Judeo-Christian principles. Indeed, these beliefs are so interwoven into the tapestry of freedom and liberty upon which our nation is built that to begin to unravel one is to begin to unravel the other.”
Obama Is Wrong When He Says We're Not a Judeo-Christian Nation - US News and World Report

Happy Easter and Passover to all.

that was then...this is now...baby

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0vNj3gGUKo&ob=av3n]Marilyn Manson - Fight Song (From "Guns, God, & Government") - YouTube[/ame]

"The Fight Song"

Nothing suffocates you more than
The passing of everyday human events
Isolation is the oxygen mask you make
Your children breathe in to survive

But I'm not a slave to a god
That doesn't exist
But I'm not a slave to a world
That doesn't give a shit

And when we were good
You just closed you eyes
So when we are bad
We'll scar your minds

Fight, fight, fight, fight

You'll never grow up to be a big-
Rock-star-celebrated-victim-of-your-fame
They'll just cut our wrists like
Cheap coupons and say that death
Was on sale today

And when we were good
You just closed you eyes
So when we are bad
We'll scar your minds

That doesn't exist
That doesn't give a shit

Last edited:
that was then...this is now...baby

Marilyn Manson - Fight Song (From "Guns, God, & Government") - YouTube

"The Fight Song"

Nothing suffocates you more than
The passing of everyday human events
Isolation is the oxygen mask you make
Your children breathe in to survive

That doesn't exist
That doesn't give a shit

And when we were good
You just closed you eyes
So when we are bad
We'll scar your minds

Fight, fight, fight, fight

You'll never grow up to be a big-
Rock-star-celebrated-victim-of-your-fame
They'll just cut our wrists like
Cheap coupons and say that death
Was on sale today

And when we were good
You just closed you eyes
So when we are bad
We'll scar your minds

That doesn't exist
That doesn't give a shit

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q06AvQF5NOw]I Saw God Today - George Strait - YouTube[/ame]

Ive been to church, Ive read the book
I know hes here but I dont look
Near as often as I should .. yeah I know I should
His fingerprints are everywhere
I just slowed down to stop and stare
Opened my eyes and man I swear
I saw God today.

You have a good holiday.

I believe John Adams beat Obama to that proclamation by around two centuries.

I believe John Adams beat Obama to that proclamation by around two centuries.

The Treaty of Tripoli.

The Treaty of Tripoli (Treaty of Peace and Friendship between the United States of America and the Bey and Subjects of Tripoli of Barbary) was the first treaty concluded between the United States of America and Tripolitania, signed at Tripoli on November 4, 1796 and at Algiers (for a third-party witness) on January 3, 1797. It was submitted to the Senate by President John Adams, receiving ratification unanimously from the U.S. Senate on June 7, 1797 and signed by Adams, taking effect as the law of the land on June 10, 1797.
The treaty was a routine diplomatic agreement but has attracted later attention because the English version included a clause about religion in the United States.

As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen [Muslims],—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan [Muslim] nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

For those neither Jewish nor Christian, we fortunately have a First Amendment which protects all citizens from the authoritarianism exhibited by conservatives in general, and the OP in particular.

In the words of Jefferson, the clause against establishment of religion by law was intended to erect "a wall of separation between church and State."

Everson v. Board of Education of the Township of Ewing

[T]he First Amendment rests upon the premise that both religion and government can best work to achieve their lofty aims if each is left free from the other within its respective sphere. Or, as we said in the Everson case, the First Amendment has erected a wall between Church and State which must be kept high and impregnable.

Illinois ex rel. McCollum v. Board of Education of School District

[The C]onstitutional prohibition against laws respecting an establishment of religion must at least mean that, in this country, it is no part of the business of government to compose official prayers for any group of the American people to recite as a part of a religious program carried on by government.

Engel v. Vitale

Perhaps in the early days of the Republic [the Establishment Clause was] understood to protect only the diversity within Christianity, but today they are recognized as guaranteeing religious liberty and equality to "the infidel, the atheist, or the adherent of a non-Christian faith such as Islam or Judaism." Wallace v. Jaffee, 472 U. at 52. [n39] It is settled law that no government official in this Nation may violate these fundamental constitutional rights regarding matters of conscience. Id. at 49.

County of Allegheny v. American Civil Liberties Union, Greater Pittsburgh Chapter
Clearly, therefore, it was the original intent of the Framers, as expressed in the Constitution and its case law, where the Constitution exists only in the context of that case law, that the ‘majority faith’ is utterly irrelevant with regard to official policy, procedure, or codification of statues by Federal, state, or local jurisdictions.

With regard to the president’s comments during a joint press conference in Turkey 4/6/2009, this is what Obama actually said, in context:

That's something that's very important to me. And I've said before that one of the great strengths of the United States is -- although as I mentioned, we have a very large Christian population, we do not consider ourselves a Christian nation or a Jewish nation or a Muslim nation; we consider ourselves a nation of citizens who are bound by ideals and a set of values.

I think Turkey was -- modern Turkey was founded with a similar set of principles, and yet what we're seeing is in both countries that promise of a secular country that is respectful of religious freedom, respectful of rule of law, respectful of freedom, upholding these values and being willing to stand up for them in the international stage. If we are joined together in delivering that message, East and West, to -- to the world, then I think that we can have an extraordinary impact. And I'm very much looking forward to that partnership in the days to come.

Joint Press Availability With President Obama And President Gul Of Turkey | The White House

Thus the OP is a liar when she claims the president said we are not a ‘Judeo-Christian’ Nation, as the president never used the phrase ‘Judeo-Christian.’

What the president said is correct:

We are not a Christian Nation. Period

We are not a Jewish Nation. Period.

We are not a Muslim Nation. Period.

“[W]e consider ourselves a nation of citizens who are bound by ideals and a set of values.”

Indeed.

And those ideals and set of values are not established on a particular religious dogma, but a respect for all religions, and those free from faith, where one need not fear the tyranny of a religious majority.

Last edited:
For those neither Jewish nor Christian, we fortunately have a First Amendment which protects all citizens from the authoritarianism exhibited by conservatives in general, and the OP in particular.

In the words of Jefferson, the clause against establishment of religion by law was intended to erect "a wall of separation between church and State."

Everson v. Board of Education of the Township of Ewing

[T]he First Amendment rests upon the premise that both religion and government can best work to achieve their lofty aims if each is left free from the other within its respective sphere. Or, as we said in the Everson case, the First Amendment has erected a wall between Church and State which must be kept high and impregnable.

Illinois ex rel. McCollum v. Board of Education of School District

Perhaps in the early days of the Republic [the Establishment Clause was] understood to protect only the diversity within Christianity, but today they are recognized as guaranteeing religious liberty and equality to "the infidel, the atheist, or the adherent of a non-Christian faith such as Islam or Judaism." Wallace v. Jaffee, 472 U. at 52. [n39] It is settled law that no government official in this Nation may violate these fundamental constitutional rights regarding matters of conscience. Id. at 49.

County of Allegheny v. American Civil Liberties Union, Greater Pittsburgh Chapter
Clearly, therefore, it was the original intent of the Framers, as expressed in the Constitution and its case law, where the Constitution exists only in the context of that case law, that the ‘majority faith’ is utterly irrelevant with regard to official policy, procedure, or codification of statues by Federal, state, or local jurisdictions.

With regard to the president’s comments during a joint press conference in Turkey 4/6/2009, this is what Obama actually said, in context:

That's something that's very important to me. And I've said before that one of the great strengths of the United States is -- although as I mentioned, we have a very large Christian population, we do not consider ourselves a Christian nation or a Jewish nation or a Muslim nation; we consider ourselves a nation of citizens who are bound by ideals and a set of values.

I think Turkey was -- modern Turkey was founded with a similar set of principles, and yet what we're seeing is in both countries that promise of a secular country that is respectful of religious freedom, respectful of rule of law, respectful of freedom, upholding these values and being willing to stand up for them in the international stage. If we are joined together in delivering that message, East and West, to -- to the world, then I think that we can have an extraordinary impact. And I'm very much looking forward to that partnership in the days to come.

Joint Press Availability With President Obama And President Gul Of Turkey | The White House

Thus the OP is a liar when she claims the president said we are not a ‘Judeo-Christian’ Nation, as the president never used the phrase ‘Judeo-Christian.’

What the president said is correct:

We are not a Christian Nation. Period

We are not a Jewish Nation. Period.

We are not a Muslim Nation. Period.

“[W]e consider ourselves a nation of citizens who are bound by ideals and a set of values.”

Indeed.

And those ideals and set of values are not established on a particular religious dogma, but a respect for all religions, and those free from faith, where one need not fear the tyranny of a religious majority.

"This question was asked by political science professors at the University of Houston. They rightfully felt that they could determine the source of the Founders’ ideas if they could collect the writings from the Founding Era and see whom the Founders were quoting.

The researchers assembled 15,000 writings from the founding Era – no small sample – and searched those writings. That project spanned ten years; but at the end of that time, the researchers had isolated 3,154 direct quotes made by the Founders and had identified the source of those quotes.

The researchers discovered that Baron Charles de Montesquieu was the man quoted most often by the founding fathers, with 8.3 percent of the Founders’ quotes being taken from his writings. Sir William Blackstone was the second most-quoted individual with 7.9 percent of the Founder’s quotes, and John Locke was third with 2.9 percent.

Surprisingly, the researchers discovered that the founders quoted directly out of the bible 4 times more than they quoted Montesquieu, 4 times more often than they quoted Blackstone, and 12 times more often than they quoted John Locke. Thirty four percent of the Founders’ quotes came directly out of the bible.

The study was even more impressive when the source of the ideas used by Montesquieu, Blackstone, and Locke were identified. Consider for example, the source of Blackstone’s ideas. Blackstone’s Commentaries on the Laws was first introduced in 1768, and for the next 100 years America’s courts quoted Blackstone to settle disputes, to define words, and to examine procedure; Blackstone’s Commentaries were the final word in the Supreme Courts. So what was a significant source of Blackstone’s ideas? Perhaps the best answer to that question can be given through the life of Charles Finney.

Charles Finney is known as a famous revivalist, minister, and preacher from one of America’s greatest revivals; the Second Great Awakening in the early 1800’s. Finney, in his autobiography, spoke of how he received his call to ministry. He explained that – having determined to become a lawyer – he, like all other law students at the time, commenced the study of Blackstone’s Commentaries on the Laws. Finney observed that Blackstone’s Commentaries not only provided the laws, it also provided the Biblical concepts on which those laws were based. Finney explained that in the process of studying Blackstone, he read so much of the Bible that he became a Christian and received his call to the ministry. Finney’s life story clearly identified a major source of Blackstone’s ideas for law.

So, while 34% of the Founders’ quotes came directly out of the Bible, many of their quotes were taken from men – like Blackstone – who had used the Bible to arrive at their own conclusions.”

This doesn’t even include Supreme Court decisions, Congressional records, speeches, inaugurations, etc. all of which include sources of Biblical content and concepts. I can produce those as well, if need be ,as well as what was taught in American schools for the first 175 years.

Bear in mind, the above is not some made up opinion, it is well documented, irrefutable research into actual quotes from the Founders.

Sources:

David Barton, Original Intent, 1997

Donald Lutz, The Origins of American Constitutionalism 1988

“The Relative Influence of European Writers on Late Eighteenth Century American Political Thought” American Political Science Review

That was a lot of bandwidth devoted to something completely irrelevant to proving your point, PC.

Well, I notice you haven't answered the point that I made and that Peach expounded upon, namely that this is far from new ground Obama is plowing. John Adams proclaimed, not just in a speech but in an official treaty, the law of the land, that America is not a Christian nation, way back in the third presidential term since the Constitution was ratified. Presidents have, at need, made symbolic gestures against religious intolerance (which is always the fruit of established religion), from George Washington's pointed attendance of a Catholic mass, to George W. Bush's worshiping in a mosque.

There is a great difference between stating that the Founding Fathers were, by and large, Christian, and stating that this is a Christian nation. The first statement is true, the second false. The Constitution explicitly states, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion," and as long as that remains the law of the land, America will never be a "Judeo-Christian" nation.

It will remain exactly what Obama said it is: a nation with a large Christian population, but not a Christian nation, nor a Jewish nation, nor a Muslim nation. We are a nation founded on a set of secular ideals separate from any faith.

Well, I notice you haven't answered the point that I made and that Peach expounded upon, namely that this is far from new ground Obama is plowing. John Adams proclaimed, not just in a speech but in an official treaty, the law of the land, that America is not a Christian nation, way back in the third presidential term since the Constitution was ratified. Presidents have, at need, made symbolic gestures against religious intolerance (which is always the fruit of established religion), from George Washington's pointed attendance of a Catholic mass, to George W. Bush's worshiping in a mosque.

There is a great difference between stating that the Founding Fathers were, by and large, Christian, and stating that this is a Christian nation. The first statement is true, the second false. The Constitution explicitly states, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion," and as long as that remains the law of the land, America will never be a "Judeo-Christian" nation.

It will remain exactly what Obama said it is: a nation with a large Christian population, but not a Christian nation, nor a Jewish nation, nor a Muslim nation. We are a nation founded on a set of secular ideals separate from any faith.

The OP don't say 'stating that this is a Christian nation.'

Read more carefully.

Note the bolded words above.

Read more carefully.

Please follow your own advice.

That was a lot of bandwidth devoted to something completely irrelevant to proving your point, PC.

Typical :lol:

Another pithy comment, konny?

One should try to grow.....try to bring something to the table.

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp" — Robert Browning

I bring as much or more to the table than you do. You may not notice it, because your posts only get the response they deserve. When I put up a substantive post, I have yet to see a cogent response from you, just snarky comments signifying NOTHING.

Read more carefully.

Please follow your own advice.

Didn't you post this?

"There is a great difference between stating that the Founding Fathers were, by and large, Christian, and stating that this is a Christian nation."

Seems you misstated the OP....didn't you.

Try to be more careful in the future.

Last edited:

Another pithy comment, konny?

One should try to grow.....try to bring something to the table.

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp" — Robert Browning

I bring as much or more to the table than you do. You may not notice it, because your posts only get the response they deserve. When I put up a substantive post, I have yet to see a cogent response from you, just snarky comments signifying NOTHING.

Tissue?

Didn't you post this?

"There is a great difference between stating that the Founding Fathers were, by and large, Christian, and stating that this is a Christian nation."

:rolleyes:

Well, geez, let me rephrase that then, and avoid the nit-pick.

There is a great difference between stating that the Founding Fathers were, by and large, Christian, and stating that this is a Judeo-Christian nation.

Happy now?

Didn't you post this?

:rolleyes:

Well, geez, let me rephrase that then, and avoid the nit-pick.

There is a great difference between stating that the Founding Fathers were, by and large, Christian, and stating that this is a Judeo-Christian nation.

Happy now?

I've always been happy.

Care to subscribe to this as well?
"Our nation's history provides overwhelming evidence that America was birthed upon Judeo-Christian principles."

Forum List

Back