Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
Finally, an exercise program I can stick with. :thup:

Want to live longer? Then drop the fitness regime and put your feet up

By Roya Nikkhah
(Filed: 09/01/2005)

It is the news that all sloths have been waiting for. Scientists in Germany have found that too much exercise is bad for you and that doing less could lengthen your life.

In a new book called The Joy of Laziness: How to slow down and live longer, Dr Peter Axt, retired professor of health science at Fulda University near Frankfurt, and his daughter, Dr Michaela Axt-Gadermann, a GP, say that everybody has a limited amount of "life energy" and that the speed with which it is consumed determines their life span.

They argue that high-energy activities, such as pounding the treadmill at the gym, accelerates the ageing process and makes the body more susceptible to illness.

"A more relaxed way of life is important for your health," said Dr Axt-Gadermann. "If you lead a stressful life and exercise excessively, your body produces hormones which lead to high blood pressure and can damage your heart and arteries."

Dr Axt-Gadermann said that one key difference between the lazy and those who exercise was that the more active body produces more "free radicals" - unstable oxygen molecules that are believed to speed the ageing process.

She added: "Laziness is also important for a healthy immune system because special immune-cells are stronger in times of relaxation than stress. During relaxation or `down time', your metabolism is less active, which means the body produces fewer free radicals.

"If you do a lot of sport or are permanently stressed, then your body will produce more free radicals and that is one reason why your life could be shortened."Dr Axt-Gadermann, 37, and her 65-year-old father, who are both reformed long-distance runners, also say that laughing is healthier than running.

"When you laugh, your body produces the hormone serotonin which makes you feel happy and relaxed," said Dr Axt-Gadermann.

article

Mr. P said:
Everyone has something to sell, don't they? :)

Yup, and I'm buying it.

I always believed that exercising is akin to operating machinery. You only want to run it the minimum time required to keep it from getting gummed-up and rusty.

If you run the machine more than that, you're only going to wear it out. I believe it's the same with your body.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Merlin1047 said:
Yup, and I'm buying it.

I always believed that exercising is akin to operating machinery. You only want to run it the minimum time required to keep it from getting gummed-up and rusty.

If you run the machine more than that, you're only going to wear it out. I believe it's the same with your body.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

:) Be great if it worked that way, huh?
We need to find a way around the internal corrosion though. :)

"This book definitely makes sense to me," said Mr Kieran, who lives in south London. "I spend one day a week in the office and the rest of my time involved in a lot of relaxation. Having the right amount of laziness in your life is a vital component to being happy. We live in a culture of guilt, where laziness is scorned.

That settles it, I'm cutting my work hours back to one day a week! Is living on the streets stressful?

Said1 said:
That settles it, I'm cutting my work hours back to one day a week! Is living on the streets stressful?

You won't be on the streets! You live in Canada, the taxpayer will support you.

Said1 said:
DOH!

Do you mean I'll get some of that money back??? :shocked:

Isn't it exciting! See if you can cite this study to make it so that the law says that all Canadians can only have a 1 day work week. I mean, you have a right to live longer right?

no1tovote4 said:
Isn't it exciting! See if you can cite this study to make it so that the law says that all Canadians can only have a 1 day work week. I mean, you have a right to live longer right?

True, working does seem like an infrindgement on my/our human right to do other, more enjoyable things. And that's stressful.

That's what I call using your noodle no1! :D

-=d=- said:
You know what they say: Hard work often pays off, in the end...Laziness pays off NOW. :)
and who wants it later when we can have it now!

besides, you see it all the time where a perfectly healthy person falls over dead for no reason

Maybe you've heard a version of this old story:

Jim and Frank were two boys from the same town, both like to go fishing and they spent many happy hours fishing together.

Jim grew up to be a lazy no-account, didn't work much, spent most of his time loafing and going fishing.

Frank wanted to "make it" in life so he worked hard to put himself through school. Then he worked several jobs, working for demanding bosses, and saving his money. Then with his savings he set up a business and then worked endless hours to become successful. Finally after many many years of hard work, he reached the point where he thought he had "made it" and had enough money to quit working and retire. He could now do whatever he wanted to do with his time.

What did he do? He joined ole Jim again down at the fishing hole.
:)

ScreamingEagle said:
Maybe you've heard a version of this old story:

Jim and Frank were two boys from the same town, both like to go fishing and they spent many happy hours fishing together.

Jim grew up to be a lazy no-account, didn't work much, spent most of his time loafing and going fishing.

Frank wanted to "make it" in life so he worked hard to put himself through school. Then he worked several jobs, working for demanding bosses, and saving his money. Then with his savings he set up a business and then worked endless hours to become successful. Finally after many many years of hard work, he reached the point where he thought he had "made it" and had enough money to quit working and retire. He could now do whatever he wanted to do with his time.

What did he do? He joined ole Jim again down at the fishing hole.
:)
ill meet you at the finish line!

Boy.. What a bunch of baaaaad influences... Now you tell me.. 2 jobs plus time at the gym is actually killing me. Hmph.

Let's face it, keeping up with the joneses is what the banks want us to do. We're hamsters on the treadmill.

Forum List

Back