The "It Could Never Happen To Me" Myth Exploded

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
bilde

She was a lawyer, a mom and a beloved friend to many -- including men and women who work as Assistant District Attorneys for the county where she lived. He is a career criminal whose street nickname is "C-Murder". She had been involved with him and became pregnant, and wanted an abortion. She also wanted to leave him. But she never got the chance to do either one. He strangled her to death because he suspected or knew she would no longer tolerate him in her life.

Then he killed the man who witnessed her strangulation and had helped move her body to the banks of the Ohio River.

Despite witness intimidaton and jury intimidation that rose to the level of a drive-by shooting, this murdering fuckwhit has been convicted and sentenced to die.

It won't bring her back, but it is some comfort to her family and friends, and to her community.

Please do not allow yourself, your sister or your daughter to believe "it could never happen to me". Instead, teach them to recognize and trust their own fear instincts.

Slain lawyer Margaret Allen feared lover's wrath over baby, prosecutors say | cincinnati.com | Cincinnati.Com

McKelton guilty in attorney's murder | cincinnati.com | Cincinnati.Com

Lawyer's killer sentenced to die | cincinnati.com | Cincinnati.Com

31ZGFIZrraL._SL500_AA300__.jpg

Last edited:
Sure it could.

Not to my friends, Father Time. They loved her and tried to save her.

Yeah but it could've been more horrific (not saying it wasn't horrifying just that's not at max).

And how do your friends know that woman?

Ok.... what are you saying... she could have died in a more horrific way, or maybe he could have killed more people, or maybe he could have gotten away with it?

What difference does it make how Madeline knows them? :confused:

Im just curious why you keep saying it could have been worse.... MY GOD MAN.... her family and friends are devestated by her loss.... what more do you want?

I hope her murderer rots in Hell!

• Banned
Sure it could.

Yeah but it could've been more horrific (not saying it wasn't horrifying just that's not at max).

I imagine she was a defense lawyer, Father Time. She's not onna my old classmates, so I am only touched second-hand.

Trust me, that is hard enough to carry. They are inconsolable.

• Banned

Ok.... what are you saying... she could have died in a more horrific way, or maybe he could have killed more people, or maybe he could have gotten away with it?

Im just curious why you keep saying it could have been worse.... MY GOD MAN.... her family and friends are devestated by her loss.... what more do you want?

Father Time did not mean to suggest this was *not bad enough*, I am sure....only that more horrific ways to die exist. And he might have also killed her daughter. Such things do happen, sometimes.

Though I dunno. Manual strangulation seems pretty horrible to me.

I appreciate your compassion. I just hope this sad thread *wakes up* anyone who believes they are immune because they are educated, or wealthy, or powerful. There IS no immunity.....all of us need our fear instincts to be operable.

I guess.... I was just curious.

This is why my house is armed, and I have two very big and protective dogs.

I fear everytime my family ventures out into the world, b/c there are some really nasty folks out there.

I pray for their protestion every night when my 9 yr old and I say our prayers at night.

I was the victim of roadrage once... and it took me a long time to get over how vulnerable I felt.

The Infidel, I cannot reccomend that book "The Gift Of Fear" highly enough. It lays out how to be a fully self-protective person, regardless of age or gender or even weapon. And it also distinquishes between fear -- which requires immediate attention -- and anxiety -- which is just bad background noise.

Despite the topic, it is extremely readable, and it is available as an e-book if you would rather not buy the hardcover or fetch it from the library.

From a review of the book.....

The central message of de Becker's 'Gift of Fear', a thought provoking and engrossing book, is that in just about every case of seemingly 'random' extreme violence, whether it be attack from a co-worker or a spouse, the violence could have been predicted hours, days, months and even years in advance. Violence is predictable, says de Becker, when we learn to trust the fear instinct and read the signals of incipient aggression. Fear is not the same as anxiety or neurosis. It is an instinct of the mind, not a distortion, and de Becker claims you can develop your instinct for fear.

The Gift of Fear Book Review by Uncommon Knowledge

This one. I don't know I can imagine more horrible things then this.

And I was just curious, usually people who post about horrible crimes here don't know anyone involved.

I think the guy is scum and should die, but what did she ever see in him?

seems like she helped make her own mess.

I think the guy is scum and should die, but what did she ever see in him?

seems like she helped make her own mess.

I have not spoken much about the victim with her friends, uscitizen. People who knew her are understandably reluctant to delve into how he acquired her as a victim, etc. But my guess is, she met him in a time and place, and dress and comportment, that concealed his real nature from her until it was too late.

Lawyers, like some other professions, see themselves as people with good instincts and relatively high levels of personal power -- and thus, they sometimes feel immune from harm for reasons that are not reality-based. In years past, when a client or opposing party has murdered a lawyer, the bar's reaction has been "who could have predicted this?'.

The point of de Becker's book is, anyone can predict such things provided they are paying attention. Mythology about who gets victimized and who doesn't is a terrible set of blinders for anyone to be wearing -- especially a pretty young woman.

People see what they want to see in other people. When a person falls for someone they tend to overlook things.

I disagree that all acts of violence can be foretold. Some people go off without any indication. There is no warning.

It is true that no one is immune to violence. It can happen to anyone, anytime any place. But we cannot let that possibility cause fear to rule your life. Due dilligence in your life can help keep the odds down, but nothing is 100% safe.

People see what they want to see in other people. When a person falls for someone they tend to overlook things.

I disagree that all acts of violence can be foretold. Some people go off without any indication. There is no warning.

It is true that no one is immune to violence. It can happen to anyone, anytime any place. But we cannot let that possibility cause fear to rule your life. Due dilligence in your life can help keep the odds down, but nothing is 100% safe.

If we are discussing being shot by a sniper, I agree -- no cues to alert you. If, instead, we are discussing being murdered by your life partner, I disagree. There are cues, but too many people actively turn off their fear sensor as the data it yields makes them uncomfy.

The thing about power and control socipathic personalities is that they are typically quite good at masking what they are until it is too late.

Oh, I know we all imagine that we can see into the hearts of others, but the fact is that most of us already know people who are to some degree sociopthic personalities and we really haven't a clue.

FYI, 1% of the population is thought to be sociopathic (also called anti-social personality), incidently.

Yeah that's right...about 3,000,000 Americans fit that psychological profile.

Naturally they don't all become murderers.

Many of them become bankers.

The thing about power and control socipathic personalities is that they are typically quite good at masking what they are until it is too late.

Oh, I know we all imagine that we can see into the hearts of others, but the fact is that most of us already know people who are to some degree sociopthic personalities and we really haven't a clue.

FYI, 1% of the population is thought to be sociopathic (also called anti-social personality), incidently.

Yeah that's right...about 3,000,000 Americans fit that psychological profile.

Naturally they don't all become murderers.

Many of them become bankers.

And politicans.

Forum List

Back