The Iron Ladies of the Republican Party

Would you support the women taking power in the GOP?

• The ladies couldn't do any worse.

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • I prefer the guys be in charge.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Other that I'll explain in my post.

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Foxfyre

Eternal optimist
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2007
Desert Southwest USA
I wonder how much difference it would make if we had a conservative political party made up of mostly conservative women running the Congress come 2011? I think the dynamics would certainly be different. We have the work cut out for us though as the old guard GOP is not so willing to give up the power:

No Time to Go Wobbly: It’s Time to Follow the New Iron Ladies Into Battle
Posted by Erick Erickson
Wednesday, June 9, 2010

. . . .The Republican Establishment is declaring this their year of the woman. There are five in particular that I want to aggressively support: Nikki Haley running for Governor in South Carolina, Karen Handel running for Governor in Georgia, Sharron Angle running for the Senate in Nevada, Robin Smith running for Congress in Tennessee, and Pamela Gorman running for Congress in Arizona.

Nikki Haley and Karen Handel will be welcome additions to a group of Republican Governors that will serve as the front lines in the fight against federal encroachment of our rights under Barack Obama.

Sharron Angle upset the establishment apple cart in Nevada by cruising to a solid victory in a GOP primary. She will defeat Harry Reid Like Nikki Haley and Karen Handel, Sharron Angle is a solid and committed conservative and doesn’t apologize for it. Sharron Angle started out as the underfunded, underdog candidate in Nevada and because she was able to get out her message of principled, unwavering conservatism, Sharron Angle won handily.

Then there are women like Robin Smith and Pamela Gorman. Both are running hard against the establishment. Smith, as Chairwoman of the Tennessee Republican Party, pushed the party of Lamar Alexander to the right and now has the squishy establishment out to beat her.

In Arizona, Pamela Gorman stood up to the Republicans in the Arizona legislature and opposed their tax increases. The stripped her of power, removed her from her office, and she kept fighting, much like Nikki Haley did.

The problem that anti-establishment candidates like Haley, Angle, Smith, and Gorman face (though to be fair, not so much Handel because of different dynamics) is that the establishment is against them. All four of these tough conservative women led fights against the Republican establishment going wobbly. . . .

MORE HERE:
No Time to Go Wobbly: It?s Time to Follow the New Iron Ladies Into Battle | RedState

Last edited:
Trouble with Women politicians is they have a "Take no prisoners" style of combat. This is to be commended in times of great crisis, but it makes regular politics a bit more difficult.

Think Golda Mier and Margaret Thatcher. Right now, that kind of politician is necessary. But long term, it might make things ever more poisonous.

I agree with Dude that they can't go wobbly on us. I wonder if women in charge would? Pelosi sure hasn't.

Baruch also has a point that strong women are far less likely to compromise and negotiate on the stuff they deem important.

But really guys, given that the national debt just passed the $13 trillion mark--that's trillion with a T!--we are faced with an even worse scenario if Congress keeps spending and spending and spending while they can. Add to this a foreign policy that I haven't seen any experts support, they're probably going to prolong the recession when they let the tax relief expire, and we have a healthcare overhaul looming out there that many believe will bury us and, at the very least, stands to dismantle what is good in our existing system.

How many prisoners do you want them to take?

I'd like it personally, but I don't think male Republicans would. Women are very rarely true conservatives, because among other things, they are the single biggest benefactors of liberalism. Even those who consider themselves Republican because they were raised that way or their Pastor said so- You'll find they're quite liberal on issues. Most are pro-choice and pro-single payer.

I'd like it personally, but I don't think male Republicans would. Women are very rarely true conservatives, because among other things, they are the single biggest benefactors of liberalism. Even those who consider themselves Republican because they were raised that way or their Pastor said so- You'll find they're quite liberal on issues. Most are pro-choice and pro-single payer.

I am a woman, I am conservative, I passionately defend conservative principles, and I register Republican only to have someplace to vote in the primaries.

I don't vote Republican, however. I vote conservative.

From what I've seen here at USMB, there are a whole lot of us.

Women have more integrity and honesty--and are not easily persuaded--and I believe a little less likely to be bought off.

For those that think women would be "weaker" regarding foreign policy--only one name.

Margaret Thatcher.

I am a woman, I am conservative, I passionately defend conservative principles, and I register Republican only to have someplace to vote in the primaries.

The proportion of you guys here on USMB is not indicative of the proportion out in the wild. This is a political board after all.

Most "Republican" women are more like my mother, who still goes and votes against her own self-interests every chance she gets, while if you sit and talk to the woman, she leans left on nearly every single topic that comes up. Pro-choice, pro-HCR, thinks military spending is ridiculous, pro-graduated income tax, pro-union, pro-gun control, thinks big business pulls too many strings--- Goes and votes Republican every stinkin time.

That's how she was raised, to believe Democrats are weak, not "Real" Americans, but dig down deep and find out - She actually is one.

Hypothetically, if the general had been McCain/Clinton, with no 3rd parties and no write-in's allowed, how would you vote, or would you have refused to do so?

You have a point, but if Palin accomplished anything for the Republicans, perhaps it was to open their mind on this front.

The proportion of you guys here on USMB is not indicative of the proportion out in the wild. This is a political board after all.

Most "Republican" women are more like my mother, who still goes and votes against her own self-interests every chance she gets, while if you sit and talk to the woman, she leans left on nearly every single topic that comes up. Pro-choice, pro-HCR, thinks military spending is ridiculous, pro-graduated income tax, pro-union, pro-gun control, thinks big business pulls too many strings--- Goes and votes Republican every stinkin time.

That's how she was raised, to believe Democrats are weak, not "Real" Americans, but dig down deep and find out - She actually is one.

Hypothetically, if the general had been McCain/Clinton, with no 3rd parties and no write-in's allowed, how would you vote, or would you have refused to do so?

I don't know Cuyo. I think the conservative women on USMB may be more typical of the whole than you think.

Don't confuse 'conservatism' with "Republican". The rise of the Tea Parties, the tax protest groups, the 9/12ers etc. etc. etc. I see as a massive peaceful revolution. The GOP has not been synonymous with conservatism for a long time now, the Democrats are anathema to such folks, and party loyalty is a thing of the past. True conservatives, including these rising stars among the women, are disgusted with the lot of them.

These folks are going after folks who they believe will walk the walk as well as talk the talk and they don't give a damn what political party they belong to.

The GOP is scrambling to get on the train and, because they promote more conservative principles than the Democrats do, will likely benefit from the trend. But this is not a GOP revolution. This is a people revolution.

And it very well may save us from ourselves.

Last edited:

I don't know Cuyo. I think the conservative women on USMB may be more typical of the whole than you think.

Don't confuse 'conservatism' with "Republican". The rise of the Tea Parties, the tax protest groups, the 9/12ers etc. etc. etc. I see as a massive peaceful revolution. The GOP has not been synonymous with conservatism for a long time now, the Democrats are anathema to such folks, and party loyalty is a thing of the past. True conservatives, including these rising stars among the women, are disgusted with the lot of them.

These folks are going after folks who they believe will walk the walk as well as talk the talk and they don't give a damn what political party they belong to.

The GOP is scrambling to get on the train and, because they promote more conservative principles than the Democrats do, will likely benefit from the trend. But this is not a GOP revolution. This is a people revolution.

And it very well may save us from ourselves.

I dunno. Not to speak in generalizations, but women don't seem to have the tendency toward political study that men do. Among those who do, the overwhelming majority are liberal. In real life, I've never met a woman who I'd consider conservative based on her stance on issues. Incidentally, other than one friend I had in highschool (and who knows what she's up to now, her family were Bible bangers), I've never met a woman who is now under 40 who even considered herself "Conservative."

Based on your answers, I gather your experiences have been different. You must remember that probably 80% of the country is "Not into politics," but seem to pick a side anyway. Most of those who choose the Conservative/Republican side, seem to do so for reasons I consider jingoistic and generally misguided, particularly in women but I've seen this in men as well. Sit down and have an in depth discussion with these people, you find that they're actually quite what the contemporary spectrum would consider "Liberal."

And believe me; I think the abortion issue garners waaaaay more attention than it should, but it does seem to be important to an awful lot of people. Women as a group are the most pro-choice among us (it is their bodies the pro-lifers want to legislate, after all), and that would not be so palatable among the good ol' boys club.

Swear to God, I just heard on Chris Matthew's Hardball show that Palin is "smart".

I nearly fell out of my chair. It was wrt Meg Whitman and how Palin finessed the media during the primaries into thinking that Palin's endorsement mattered.

Palin was predicted to be the 2012 candidate because she is much more shrewd than the other candidates. They also showed her speaking and remarking how well she spoke.

Something's up when the dems start praising Palin.

Swear to God, I just heard on Chris Matthew's Hardball show that Palin is "smart".

I nearly fell out of my chair. It was wrt Meg Whitman and how Palin finessed the media during the primaries into thinking that Palin's endorsement mattered.

Palin was predicted to be the 2012 candidate because she is much more shrewd than the other candidates. They also showed her speaking and remarking how well she spoke.

Something's up when the dems start praising Palin.

LOL.....guess they figured out that trashing her was just riling folks up all the more. :)

Cuyo, I accept that your social circle is totally compiled of liberal women. But I know there were more ladies in attendance at our Tea Parties than there were guys, and in my social circle there are a lot of very strong, intelligent, very well educated, and very well informed conservative women, and USMB sure has an impressive sprinkling of those too.

Another rising star among GOP women is Carly Fiorina. I think she is one worth watching. I don't know yet how conservative she is but man does she bring impressive credentials. She will be running against Barbara Boxer in November and couldn't possibly be worse than Boxer.

Forum List

Back