The Iron Ladies of the Republican Party

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Foxfyre, Jun 10, 2010.

?

Would you support the women taking power in the GOP?

1. The ladies couldn't do any worse.

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. I prefer the guys be in charge.

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Other that I'll explain in my post.

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,387
    I wonder how much difference it would make if we had a conservative political party made up of mostly conservative women running the Congress come 2011? I think the dynamics would certainly be different. We have the work cut out for us though as the old guard GOP is not so willing to give up the power:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  2. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    If and when they obtain office, then remain unwobbly, I may support them....Not a moment before.

3. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    Trouble with Women politicians is they have a "Take no prisoners" style of combat. This is to be commended in times of great crisis, but it makes regular politics a bit more difficult.

Think Golda Mier and Margaret Thatcher. Right now, that kind of politician is necessary. But long term, it might make things ever more poisonous.

4. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,387
    I agree with Dude that they can't go wobbly on us. I wonder if women in charge would? Pelosi sure hasn't.

Baruch also has a point that strong women are far less likely to compromise and negotiate on the stuff they deem important.

But really guys, given that the national debt just passed the $13 trillion mark--that's trillion with a T!--we are faced with an even worse scenario if Congress keeps spending and spending and spending while they can. Add to this a foreign policy that I haven't seen any experts support, they're probably going to prolong the recession when they let the tax relief expire, and we have a healthcare overhaul looming out there that many believe will bury us and, at the very least, stands to dismantle what is good in our existing system.

How many prisoners do you want them to take?

5. Cuyo

Cuyo Training a Guineapig army

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +942
    I'd like it personally, but I don't think male Republicans would. Women are very rarely true conservatives, because among other things, they are the single biggest benefactors of liberalism. Even those who consider themselves Republican because they were raised that way or their Pastor said so- You'll find they're quite liberal on issues. Most are pro-choice and pro-single payer.

6. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,387
    I am a woman, I am conservative, I passionately defend conservative principles, and I register Republican only to have someplace to vote in the primaries.

I don't vote Republican, however. I vote conservative.

From what I've seen here at USMB, there are a whole lot of us.

7. oreo

oreo Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,150
    Women have more integrity and honesty--and are not easily persuaded--and I believe a little less likely to be bought off.

For those that think women would be "weaker" regarding foreign policy--only one name.

Margaret Thatcher.

8. Cuyo

Cuyo Training a Guineapig army

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +942
    The proportion of you guys here on USMB is not indicative of the proportion out in the wild. This is a political board after all.

Most "Republican" women are more like my mother, who still goes and votes against her own self-interests every chance she gets, while if you sit and talk to the woman, she leans left on nearly every single topic that comes up. Pro-choice, pro-HCR, thinks military spending is ridiculous, pro-graduated income tax, pro-union, pro-gun control, thinks big business pulls too many strings--- Goes and votes Republican every stinkin time.

That's how she was raised, to believe Democrats are weak, not "Real" Americans, but dig down deep and find out - She actually is one.

Hypothetically, if the general had been McCain/Clinton, with no 3rd parties and no write-in's allowed, how would you vote, or would you have refused to do so?

9. Sherry

Sherry You're not the boss of me Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,082
    You have a point, but if Palin accomplished anything for the Republicans, perhaps it was to open their mind on this front.

10. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,387
    I don't know Cuyo. I think the conservative women on USMB may be more typical of the whole than you think.

Don't confuse 'conservatism' with "Republican". The rise of the Tea Parties, the tax protest groups, the 9/12ers etc. etc. etc. I see as a massive peaceful revolution. The GOP has not been synonymous with conservatism for a long time now, the Democrats are anathema to such folks, and party loyalty is a thing of the past. True conservatives, including these rising stars among the women, are disgusted with the lot of them.

These folks are going after folks who they believe will walk the walk as well as talk the talk and they don't give a damn what political party they belong to.

The GOP is scrambling to get on the train and, because they promote more conservative principles than the Democrats do, will likely benefit from the trend. But this is not a GOP revolution. This is a people revolution.

And it very well may save us from ourselves.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010