The Internet may not be such a dangerous place for children after all.

I'd wager the chances a child could be psychologically harmed or deprived of normal human contact with strangers because of a parent's anxiety disorder are higher than the chances a child will come into contact with a sexual predator.

Also these fears often ignore the fact that most abuse of children is at the hands of a parent, relative or family friend, someone known to the child, rather than from a stranger.

I have to agree with you on this one. One thing parents need to do is talk to their kids about, if they get lost in a public place, how they identify someone safe to ask for help: Look for a store employee, a police officer, security guard, or a "mommy."

There is a problem with that:

If you spend your time worrying about the boogy-man in every shadow you miss the roses in the sun.

If you prevent your children from growing or learning just because of a fear you deprive them of not only a childhood but also the lessons that will protect them when they are older.

It's a form of child abuse that will hopefully one day become part of the law. In reality the chances of a child being harmed by a predator is still lower than being struck by lightening, lightening is actually the highest threat to a childs life, so if you really want to protect them best teach them to avoid lightening otherwise you are stealing away their childhood (thus running the risk of turning them into future predators or worse) for something that will likely never happen.

You're taking it to the extreme. Obviously, that's not what we're talking about.

Unless someone has a history of neg repping you, then I think it tends to be justified. I've never neg repped anyone who didn't neg rep me - several times - before.

Um Del the APA wouldn't know recognize sexual predation if it bit them in the ass and a few of their probably show up on NAMBLA's member list as well.

Forum List

Back