The Internet may not be such a dangerous place for children after all.

del

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2008
on a one way cul-de-sac
The Internet may not be such a dangerous place for children after all.

A task force created by 49 state attorneys general to look into sexual solicitation of children online has concluded that there is not a significant problem.

The findings ran counter to popular perceptions of online dangers as reinforced by depictions in the news media like NBC's "To Catch a Predator" series and are the latest study to suggest that concerns about the Internet and sex abuse against children are overblown. Ina an article last February in American Psychologist, the journal of the American Psychological Association, researchers concluded that most allegatiosn about the Internet and sexual abuse were myths.

McClatchy Washington Bureau | 01/14/2009 | About the risk from those Internet predators: Nevermind

I'm not surprised. Not that it can't be a problem, I don't know of anyone that hasn't had some kind of contact with a weirdo, but I think most kids are a lot more sophisticated about how to deal with online perverts than most adults give them credit for. The only kids being "fooled" by these guys are looking for the attention, which means the problem started before they ever got online.

the journal of the American Psychological Association, researchers concluded that most allegatiosn about the Internet and sexual abuse were myths.

Tell that to the panicking parents in my neighborhood who are sure that evil of the worst sort lurks online.

:lol:

Tongue in cheek. Notice how issues such as kidnapping, meteorites, the sun dying, too much coffee, create fear and discomfort and worry but businesses rip off the people, kills worker rights, pollutes the environment, and ships jobs overseas while people worry about kidnapping, meteorites, the sun dying, too much coffee....

You do know the universe will die in several billion years, don't you?

Good information, but I'll continue to err on the side of caution.

There is a problem with that:

If you spend your time worrying about the boogy-man in every shadow you miss the roses in the sun.

If you prevent your children from growing or learning just because of a fear you deprive them of not only a childhood but also the lessons that will protect them when they are older.

It's a form of child abuse that will hopefully one day become part of the law. In reality the chances of a child being harmed by a predator is still lower than being struck by lightening, lightening is actually the highest threat to a childs life, so if you really want to protect them best teach them to avoid lightening otherwise you are stealing away their childhood (thus running the risk of turning them into future predators or worse) for something that will likely never happen.

There is a problem with that:

If you spend your time worrying about the boogy-man in every shadow you miss the roses in the sun.

If you prevent your children from growing or learning just because of a fear you deprive them of not only a childhood but also the lessons that will protect them when they are older.

It's a form of child abuse that will hopefully one day become part of the law. In reality the chances of a child being harmed by a predator is still lower than being struck by lightening, lightening is actually the highest threat to a childs life, so if you really want to protect them best teach them to avoid lightening otherwise you are stealing away their childhood (thus running the risk of turning them into future predators or worse) for something that will likely never happen.

I'd wager the chances a child could be psychologically harmed or deprived of normal human contact with strangers because of a parent's anxiety disorder are higher than the chances a child will come into contact with a sexual predator.

Also these fears often ignore the fact that most abuse of children is at the hands of a parent, relative or family friend, someone known to the child, rather than from a stranger.

I'm not surprised. Not that it can't be a problem, I don't know of anyone that hasn't had some kind of contact with a weirdo, but I think most kids are a lot more sophisticated about how to deal with online perverts than most adults give them credit for. The only kids being "fooled" by these guys are looking for the attention, which means the problem started before they ever got online.
Good points.

I should send that link to the idiot federal government minister here who's doing his best to "censor" (clean feed, ie degradation of the already slow broadband we suffer) the internet to - wait for it - "protect the children".

I should send that link to the idiot federal government minister here who's doing his best to "censor" (clean feed, ie degradation of the already slow broadband we suffer) the internet to - wait for it - "protect the children".

I feel for you! Must be some political tactic of his to avoid a real issue.

Forum List

Back