The insect apocalypse

South Americans will breathe easier knowing the cow-killer ant hordes are gone, or are they? :rolleyes:

Seriously, they have gasoline moats n stuff.

I got some good stuff, I can kill 'em!

Survival of the fittest? The mean, aggressive suckers survive! :eek:

Except against the super hero MarionMan!!! :lol:

Stealth and kickass poison go a long ways. :04:

It's something I learned from a cousin, hit them insects at night with poison, they'll all be dead in the AM.

Does ANYONE here think it would be a good idea to get rid of all insects?

I know you speak for yourself (and I appreciate it), but we did have several jesters making light of this report. The sixth mass extinction event is underway, but it is the loss of the lowliest that will bring us all down. The extinction of wild, large mammals will bum us all out, I am sure. But it will not actually have much impact on the human species. The loss of insects, however, will mean the end of agriculture. Humanity will starve.

Being worried that insects are in the midst of a mass extinction is not paranoia. And since it's supported by good science and happening in the midst of what other good science concludes is the beginning of a mass extinction event of all lifeforms, is completely understandable and deserves to be worried about.

Exactly. "The insect apocalypse" is just one very relevant aspect of what is described as the collapse of ecosystems - the very ecosystems that in the end sustain us all. We may well lose a lot of them before we even learn how they work. Or rather, worked. And that's what is going to drive the coming mass extinction.

Forum List

Back