The insect apocalypse

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
Canis Latrans
We have a new global tally of the insect apocalypse.
We have a new global tally of the insect apocalypse. It’s alarming.

What’s killing all the insects?
The state of insect biodiversity is “dreadful” because we know what happens when ecosystems lose insects: They lose other species as well.

In October, a study in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciencedocumented that between 1976 and 2013, the number of invertebrates (like insects, spiders, and centipedes) in the Luquillo rainforest in Puerto Rico caught in survey nets plummeted by a factor of four or eight. When measured by the number caught in sticky traps, invertebrates declined by a factor of 60. And that loss of insects coincided with losses of birds, lizards, and frogs. “The food web appears to have been obliterated from the bottom,” the Washington Post’s Ben Guarino reported on the study.

So what’s happening?

The researchers in the new Biological Conservation paper outline four broad, global problems leading to insect loss. They won’t surprise you.

1. Habitat loss as a result of human development, deforestation, and the expansion of agriculture
  2. Pollution, particularly via pesticides, fertilizers, and industrial wastes
  3. Parasites and pathogens — like the viruses that attack honeybees — and invasive species
  4. Climate change
In summary: Human activity is to blame.

Not good. Biodiversity = a healthy ecosystem. Insects for the base of the pyramid. A healthy ecosystem benefit us all. Wake up.

It is amazing what insects do....that we need but aren’t even aware of.

And I'm totally OK with that...

8-amazonian-giant-centipede.jpg

Republicans don’t know where food comes from.

Their holy book teaches that it fell from the sky like “it’s raining meatballs” or something

I think they called it manna.

Coming from folks who think Whole Foods is a farm ... that's pretty funny.

whole-foods-el-paraiso-hipster-con-el-que-amazon-creara-el-supermercado-del-futuro.jpg

Pesticides are 100% the problem. Only going to get worse along with soaring cancer rates

Republicans are like the grasshopper in that story about the grasshopper in the ant.

The grasshopper just wanted to play didn’t want to work, he didn’t care about the future.

And then when the winter came he died. It was the ant that was snug after having worked his world, created a living space, taking care of business.

Well, mankind is killing this world. All I can say is thank God I’m old.
The world will never be cleaned up as long as Republicans stand in the way.

Republicans are like the grasshopper in that story about the grasshopper in the ant.

The grasshopper just wanted to play didn’t want to work, he didn’t care about the future.

And then when the winter came he died. It was the ant that was snug after having worked his world, created a living space, taking care of business.

Well, mankind is killing this world. All I can say is thank God I’m old.
The world will never be cleaned up as long as Republicans stand in the way.
The cities are the grasshoppers in 21st century America. Bwhahaaaa! Let an economic problem happen.You will be killing each other in a few days and spread out to the suburban progressive women soccer moms controlled households in utter destruction. The war will be urban/suburban versus semi rural/rural. Where the hell do you think all of those trains and trucks with food and comfort supplies come from? Now go do some paperwork.

Forum List

Back