The insanity of right wing patriotism

The courts changed it, sort of.

Padilla was held for 19 months as a material witness. This meant no charges were filed but he still was detained. Sadly, this abuse has not changed and the federal government does it all the time. It's an abuse of the law. A quick fix would be a law that anyone held as a material witness is granted instant immunity from any charge connected with the case they are a witness for.
Thank you for proving my statement in the original OP correct, that arguing for indefinate detention of US citizens and thinking that's patriotism, is insane.

Maybe you should go live in Weimar, Germany, thinking that kind of shit?

Once Padilla was moved to Gitmo, things changed. He wasn't there long, about 4 months.
Where does it say that in the Bill of Rights?

Loincloth lies when he claims that his terrorist buddies were shipped off to not be seen again.
Here we go again, you just don't stop with the lies, do you? Show me anywhere in this thread where I've said that.

Hamdi v. Rumsfield changed the ability to hold American citizens as unlawful combatants and Padilla was sent back to the civilian courts for trial.
That's not true. The SCOTUS decision was about giving "detainees" 3rd Geneva Convention rights. Nothing has changed section 950v of the MCA.

Sec. 950v. Crimes triable by military commissions

(26) WRONGFULLY AIDING THE ENEMY- Any person subject to this chapter who, in breach of an allegiance or duty to the United States, knowingly and intentionally aids an enemy of the United States, or one of the co-belligerents of the enemy, shall be punished as a military commission under this chapter may direct.​
There is only one kind of person that has an "allegiance" to the United States..............."CITIZEN".

Yes, burning the flag, spitting on the troops and chanting "death to America" all make me think the left loves America.
I've never burned a flag, spat on a troop or chanted "death to America".

But when you defend legislation that strips us of our civil rights and are so cavalier about putting US troops in harms way, you are "killing" America.

That's terrific.
So why all the partisan bullshit against the right?
Because they earned it! BTW, I say the same thing about democrats. It's not partisan bullshit. It's not bullshit at all. I challenge anyone to prove how the things the right supports, are part of our American heritage.

Especially in light of the current administration's playing judge, jury and executioner in the case of Anwar al-Awlaki, ALSO an American citizen?

Funny the outrage from those prone to outrage over US military operations was in that case...well, nonexistent.
I'm sorry you missed my outrage on that. I'm against all drone strikes. You will be to, once they start happening here.

Jose Padilla was treated the way he was treated to avoid treating him like a traitor. He should have been stripped of his citizenship and then prosecuted.

I've never burned a flag, spat on a troop or chanted "death to America".

You didn't?

Not even in Teheran?

But when you defend legislation that strips us of our civil rights and are so cavalier about putting US troops in harms way, you are "killing" America.

Again, you planning a trip to Pakistan?

The only way you get stripped of your rights is if you become active in your Jihad.

Only if you are not an American Citizen. If you are a Citizen you get full due process. If you are not a citizen and not part of a national army or follow the rules for insurgents, you are an unlawful combatant and your ass is grass.
Tell that to Jose Padilla.

Has Obama changed that? Where's the hope & change, emphasis on change?

Obama made it so nobody receives due process, citizen or otherwise. Originally it was only non-citizens suspected of being terrorists, now it's everyone.

The only way you get stripped of your rights is if you become active in your Jihad.
Wrong! All it takes is for the President to declare you an "unlawful enemy belligerent" and your ass is grass.

“President Obama's action today is a blight on his legacy because he will forever be known as the president who signed indefinite detention without charge or trial into law,” said Anthony D. Romero, ACLU executive director. “The statute is particularly dangerous because it has no temporal or geographic limitations, and can be used by this and future presidents to militarily detain people captured far from any battlefield.” According to Senator Dianne Feinstein. "Congress is essentially authorizing the indefinite imprisonment of American citizens, without charge," she said. "We are not a nation that locks up its citizens without charge." Think again. (Guardian, 12/14/11)

Wrong! All it takes is for the President to declare you an "unlawful enemy belligerent" and your ass is grass.

“President Obama's action today is a blight on his legacy because he will forever be known as the president who signed indefinite detention without charge or trial into law,” said Anthony D. Romero, ACLU executive director. “The statute is particularly dangerous because it has no temporal or geographic limitations, and can be used by this and future presidents to militarily detain people captured far from any battlefield.” According to Senator Dianne Feinstein. "Congress is essentially authorizing the indefinite imprisonment of American citizens, without charge," she said. "We are not a nation that locks up its citizens without charge." Think again. (Guardian, 12/14/11)

A nutjob conspiracy site does little to support your point, or your nonexistent credibility.

Look, I oppose the patriot act and the NDAA, I even agree that there is a war on civil liberties - but you truthers are nutjobs who spin yarns that are frankly, insane.

A nutjob conspiracy site does little to support your point, or your nonexistent credibility.
The website wasn't the source. Senator Dianne Feinstein and ACLU executive director Anthony D. Romero, were the sources. And how more credible can you get, than one of the Senators who took part in the legislation (of the bill) and a civil rights attorney who's job it is to interpret bills like this?

Acting like this isn't true, just makes you look ridiculous. Provide evidence to the contrary and I'll admit I'm wrong.

Look, I oppose the patriot act and the NDAA, I even agree that there is a war on civil liberties - but you truthers are nutjobs who spin yarns that are frankly, insane.
I'm not a truther. I might be heading that way, but I've never thought the government was complicit in 9/11. I've always said they took a national tragedy and used it as an opportunity.

Obama made it so nobody receives due process, citizen or otherwise. Originally it was only non-citizens suspected of being terrorists, now it's everyone.
It actually started with George Bush and the Military Commission's Act, Obama put the final nail in the coffin.

Forum List

Back