The Innocence project

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
Every time I hear about one of these cases I get pissed off...do we owe these people something, as a society?

This has been the longest wrongful conviction in Texas history. It was an exciting day for Dupree and his new wife, Selma, but the couple admits, the day is bittersweet.
"It is a wonderful thing to have him home. One of the things that we all have to understand is that this could happen to anyone," said Selma Perkins Dupree. She said changes in the law need to be made, but for right now, she wants to focus on her future.
"I just thank God for this day and that we can move on with our lives," she said.
District Attorney Craig Watkins says he plans to take all the exoneration cases to lawmakers in Austin, TX. He said lawmakers need to see that mistakes are being made, and they need to be addressed quickly.
Forty-one people in Texas have been exonerated since 2001.
DNA restores man's freedom - WMBFNews.com | Myrtle Beach/Florence, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Every time I hear about one of these cases I get pissed off...do we owe these people something, as a society?

This has been the longest wrongful conviction in Texas history. It was an exciting day for Dupree and his new wife, Selma, but the couple admits, the day is bittersweet.
"It is a wonderful thing to have him home. One of the things that we all have to understand is that this could happen to anyone," said Selma Perkins Dupree. She said changes in the law need to be made, but for right now, she wants to focus on her future.
"I just thank God for this day and that we can move on with our lives," she said.
District Attorney Craig Watkins says he plans to take all the exoneration cases to lawmakers in Austin, TX. He said lawmakers need to see that mistakes are being made, and they need to be addressed quickly.
DNA restores man's freedom - WMBFNews.com | Myrtle Beach/Florence, SC | News, Weather, Sports

41 people in 10 years, out of HOW many people?

Nothing in life is perfect.

And no, I'm not saying he shouldn't be entitled to something - but what? I'm just saying there's no foolproof thing that's going to cover every little possibility.

Right...but what should we give them? Seriously, I've known people that IMO were wrongly convicted.

Any innocent person punished is one too many.

Yep watched this on PBS nightly news yesterday evening.

*PBS nightly news* .....
hahaha-024.gif

41 in TEXAS... hundreds more throughout the country.

if it were you in prison, you'd be a little less blase

At first I thought the story was about a former inmate of death row. After finding out that it was not, I am in agreement with Dis. Things are going to happen. Justice is carried about by humans, and humans are fallible. This is also why I am against the death penalty.

Yes, some sort of restitution is in order. What it would be I imagine would vary from case to case.

I tend to not hang around where there's trouble - I'm smart like that.

You have a solution that guarantees 100% perfection? Thought not.

No, society as a whole doesn't owe them anything. The particular DA or judicial department I would think does however. The problem is how do you repay someone for the loss of a significant part of their lives? I would certainly rate it on a sliding scale with a completely innocent person who had never been in trouble with the law getting a considerable amount over some person who was constantly in trouble with the law.

At this point, the best idea would be to get rid of the death penalty.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/05/us/05bar.html

Last fall, the American Law Institute, which created the intellectual framework for the modern capital justice system almost 50 years ago, pronounced its project a failure and walked away from it.

The institute is made up of about 4,000 judges, lawyers and law professors. It synthesizes and shapes the law in restatements and model codes that provide structure and coherence in a federal legal system that might otherwise consist of 50 different approaches to everything.

In 1962, as part of the Model Penal Code, the institute created the modern framework for the death penalty, one the Supreme Court largely adopted when it reinstituted capital punishment in Gregg v. Georgia in 1976. Several justices cited the standards the institute had developed as a model to be emulated by the states.

Instead, the institute voted in October to disavow the structure it had created “in light of the current intractable institutional and structural obstacles to ensuring a minimally adequate system for administering capital punishment.”

That last sentence contains some pretty dense lawyer talk, but it can be untangled. What the institute was saying is that the capital justice system in the United States is irretrievably broken.

you also aren't a minority, which is where most of the mistakes tend to be made. we don't always have a say in the neighborhoods we live in.

a great deal of the problem is shoddy police work and terrible identification testimony. the inter-racial recognition rate is probably about 15% with the wind at your back.

but it's not like any of that affects you, so it's all good, eh?

and i don't think anyone said it had to be perfect. the question asked was what do we owe people whose lives are taken away for no reason.

Last fall, the American Law Institute, which created the intellectual framework for the modern capital justice system almost 50 years ago, pronounced its project a failure and walked away from it.

The institute is made up of about 4,000 judges, lawyers and law professors. It synthesizes and shapes the law in restatements and model codes that provide structure and coherence in a federal legal system that might otherwise consist of 50 different approaches to everything.

In 1962, as part of the Model Penal Code, the institute created the modern framework for the death penalty, one the Supreme Court largely adopted when it reinstituted capital punishment in Gregg v. Georgia in 1976. Several justices cited the standards the institute had developed as a model to be emulated by the states.

Instead, the institute voted in October to disavow the structure it had created “in light of the current intractable institutional and structural obstacles to ensuring a minimally adequate system for administering capital punishment.”

That last sentence contains some pretty dense lawyer talk, but it can be untangled. What the institute was saying is that the capital justice system in the United States is irretrievably broken.

Then what do you propose to do with the people that *belong* on death row? Just leave them in jail sucking off the system, and needlessly eating up resources that could be used for more important things like rehabilitating people that actually stand a *chance* of that rehab working?

All that for a couple hundred people (in the entire US) out of the *thousands and thousands* that were properly convicted?

You know not what you speak.

Then what do you propose to do with the people that *belong* on death row? Just leave them in jail sucking off the system, and needlessly eating up resources that could be used for more important things like rehabilitating people that actually stand a *chance* of that rehab working?

All that for a couple hundred people (in the entire US) out of the *thousands and thousands* that were properly convicted?

You know not what you speak.

1 innocent person by a state sanctioned action is one too many.

Throw them in prison for life. On balance, it's actually cheaper to the justice system/state on the whole if you want to talk about resources.

you also aren't a minority, which is where most of the mistakes tend to be made. we don't always have a say in the neighborhoods we live in.

a great deal of the problem is shoddy police work and terrible identification testimony. the inter-racial recognition rate is probably about 15% with the wind at your back.

and i don't think anyone said it had to be perfect. the question asked was what do we owe people whose lives are taken away for no reason.

Hey, you had to have done something really wrong at some point in your life to get pulled into that lineup in the first place. They don't just pluck random people off the street and haul them in.

And Modberts answer is to totally get rid of the death penalty, and just house/clothe/feed murderers forever.

That work for you?

No, society as a whole doesn't owe them anything. The particular DA or judicial department I would think does however. The problem is how do you repay someone for the loss of a significant part of their lives? I would certainly rate it on a sliding scale with a completely innocent person who had never been in trouble with the law getting a considerable amount over some person who was constantly in trouble with the law.

Make up for their lack of earning potential and provide compensation in equal measure for their future security.

Hey, you had to have done something really wrong at some point in your life to get pulled into that lineup in the first place. They don't just pluck random people off the street and haul them in.

And Modberts answer is to totally get rid of the death penalty, and just house/clothe/feed murderers forever.

That work for you?

it's not correct that "you had to have done something really wrong". what is correct is that you have to fit a description or live in a neighborhood... or shop at a store...

what's more likely correct is that you have to be poor and probably black since blacks disproportionately receive the death penalty.

it's very easy to say 'kill 'em all and let G-d sort 'em out"... pathetic, but easy.

and yes, i agree. one innocent person being killed by the state is one too many.

i don't think there's another 'civilized' country that has the death penalty.

i'm sure ok with states not kiling the mentally retarded like texas recently did.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back