The Infamous Ipod

Most POP upgrades hold little to no value to me personally, as such I never pay much attention to them and only upgrade when needed to keep up. I just can't wait until all browsers finally catch up to HTML4, now that would rule. It makes site design so much easier, a simplified XHTML. Works smoother with PHP5 as well.

Java 7 may however be frightening, for one reason, Sun got bought out and there is a possibility that the new owners may want to go the route of Adobe Flash, making it closed source, which will suck because then I'll have to buy the latest JDK instead of downloading it for free.

I am debating upgrading to SQL5 though, debating because so far most servers are still at 4+, but when I get my own server I will upgrade that.

One upgrade I am hoping is PHP soon, but with a more streamlined and coherent native function list, the current functions are all over the map, like Java 3 was before they started actually worrying about such things. PHP5 recently added object oriented code, not very useful yet but it makes overrides easier ....

... bah! Now I ramble.
the POP4 protocol is supposed to make it next to impossible to spam
as each address doing the sending will need to verify that it is an active account
not sure how its supposed to do that, but i sure hope it is possible
think of how much less bandwidth would be wasted if they could stop the fucking spammers

True, but I rely on Google for my email so whatever they do is all I need.

As for the technical side, it is possible by "pinging" (more than just an echo between computers now) the account. Though it would not be entirely effective until everyone upgrades to it, you may not want to put the full filter on for a while lest you lose a friends message to you in other words, once everyone is using the same protocol it would work in reducing a lot. The ping would basically send a "please tell me if you are there" request to the account sending the message, if there is no response then the account doesn't exist, if it responds, usually with a "here I am" type response, then it's an acceptable message. It won't clean it perfectly but will reduce about 80% of the spam we get today, because about that much of it is from fake addresses.
exactly, and if you remove 80% of the spam from the net, look at the massive bandwidth saved

Forum List

Back