The Impossible

If an immovable object is struck by an unstoppable force...wat happens?

Black hole ... nuclear explosion ... any number of theories, but that's all moot because the two are impossibilities in science, so there is no way to test it, and even if you could test it, would you want to?

true. but isn't science about thinking about the impossible and building off of it. i mean in the 1800s ppl thought is was impossible to go to the moon. my theory is time would stop...but wait, isn't time irrelavant to science. i mean time is only "time" because we make it that way. we only create seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, years, decades, centuries, etc. to suit the needs of the human mind to have a structured life style. or is it because humans seem to create violence, conflict, or disruption when something is the same for too long, otherwise known as boring. i know this seems not the relate to the initial thread but it does. Because if you can't think of the impossible or outside the box, why think at all. so a simple anwer of "neither can exist" isn't a way to "discuss" something.

true. but isn't science about thinking about the impossible and building off of it. i mean in the 1800s ppl thought is was impossible to go to the moon. my theory is time would stop...but wait, isn't time irrelavant to science. i mean time is only "time" because we make it that way. we only create seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, years, decades, centuries, etc. to suit the needs of the human mind to have a structured life style. or is it because humans seem to create violence, conflict, or disruption when something is the same for too long, otherwise known as boring. i know this seems not the relate to the initial thread but it does. Because if you can't think of the impossible or outside the box, why think at all. so a simple anwer of "neither can exist" isn't a way to "discuss" something.

damn good point !! :clap2:

thank you. i mean i know that the quesiton i asked is some what rhetorical. but if every scientist jus said when something seemed to hard to think about, "its impossible" we would still be living in dirt and huts. i am no means of a scientist but discussing the impossible interests me, so thats wat i was hoping for on this thread...

thank you. i mean i know that the quesiton i asked is some what rhetorical. but if every scientist jus said when something seemed to hard to think about, "its impossible" we would still be living in dirt and huts. i am no means of a scientist but discussing the impossible interests me, so thats wat i was hoping for on this thread...

agreed--seeking the impossible leads to amazing discoveries and insights.

As I say, without the dreams of myth and legend, we would be no where in science and technology.

As I say, without the dreams of myth and legend, we would be no where in science and technology.

And exactly what great things come of discussing this?

And last I checked you are all about denying those things when they are not something you like.

And last I checked you are all about denying those things when they are not something you like.

denying things is part of the process

No it is not. Science is about theories and proof. When something is unproven it is not a scientific method to simply deny it. Which is something Kittenkoder does a lot in regards things she finds unacceptable.

No it is not. Science is about theories and proof. When something is unproven it is not a scientific method to simply deny it. Which is something Kittenkoder does a lot in regards things she finds unacceptable.

No, science is about proving or disproving possibilities as well as a reaching as far as you can. Without a goal (myths and legends) there is no way science can progress. I don't deny their importance, only that asserting the myths and legends as facts just because some people believe in them and choosing what is right or wrong based on that belief instead of logic.

No, science is about proving or disproving possibilities as well as a reaching as far as you can. Without a goal (myths and legends) there is no way science can progress. I don't deny their importance, only that asserting the myths and legends as facts just because some people believe in them and choosing what is right or wrong based on that belief instead of logic.

pick whichever version you like---makes no difference in the long run.

The only solution would be that the unstoppable force passes through the immovable object, leaving the force unstopped and the object unmoved.

Just because something cannot be experimented on. Or shall i say "tested" doesn't mean it is impossible. It just means we cannot find a lab that could give us realistic results. Never say something is impossible, because you have to prove it is impossible first. Which is impossible, because if you do a lab 1000 times and it works the 1000th times it is possible.

Hillbilly has a good point...but wouldn't the unstoppable object have to be traveling at speeds so fast it wouldn't disturb the atoms moving within the immovable object? But that is the only possible answer i can think of too.

Actually because of force, the immovable object would then become the unstoppable force and the unstoppable force would then become the immovable object.

Forum List

Back