The Impact of Global Christian Music in Worship

I’m not simply an un-believer I’m told I’m musically a puritan as I find just about all ‘rock & roll’ forms of musical worship beyond tasteless and certainly without more than a hint of the divine.
So, here’s more of my kind of sacred singin’ and dancin’
BBC Radio 3 - Choir and Organ - Six Easter Choral Gems

For instance, the following work really needs to be either exprienced live or heard on a very good audio system fed by a high resolution recording. Anyhow, I’ll post it anyway in the hope some of it’s magic survives this medium ;-

Often times the reference to the divine is buried on purpose.

I’m not simply an un-believer I’m told I’m musically a puritan as I find just about all ‘rock & roll’ forms of musical worship beyond tasteless and certainly without more than a hint of the divine.

For instance, the following work really needs to be either exprienced live or heard on a very good audio system fed by a high resolution recording. Anyhow, I’ll post it anyway in the hope some of it’s magic survives this medium ;-

Burried so deaply you’ll have to tell me where it is.

It's pretty easy to see, if you look for it.

It's pretty easy to see, if you look for it.

I must be blind and deaf then.

I've always thought that gospel is the only means of prayer that truly seems heartfelt and fun, rather than depressing and intimidated.
As a child I found just about everything associated with the church intimidating and depressing apart from some of the music.

I’m not sure prayer is the right term for all songs of worship. Maybe there’s a place for celebration too?

Just after writing the “Hallelujah Chorus,” Handel said, “I did think I did see all Heaven before me and the great God Himself.”
The genius of Handel is that he didn't even have to say it for you to know it.
Amazing piece of work, The Messiah. Music manipulates the emotions like no other.

I've always thought that gospel is the only means of prayer that truly seems heartfelt and fun, rather than depressing and intimidated.
As a child I found just about everything associated with the church intimidating and depressing apart from some of the music.

I’m not sure prayer is the right term for all songs of worship. Maybe there’s a place for celebration too?

Just after writing the “Hallelujah Chorus,” Handel said, “I did think I did see all Heaven before me and the great God Himself.”
The genius of Handel is that he didn't even have to say it for you to know it.
Amazing piece of work, The Messiah. Music manipulates the emotions like no other.

I enjoy the Messiah. It's very Baroque--early Classical, but clearly a wonderful piece of music and delightfully simple but powerful to sing. I prefer more modern classical music to be honest and the clustered harmony composers are coming out with now are almost otherworldly, and I love them. But I have always been partial to 20th century and later.

Just as an aside the Hallelujah Chorus comes at the Easter part of The Messiah...heh. "For Unto Us a Child Is Born" is the Christmas part actually, but no one concerns themselves with that. Which is fine, good music is good music anytime!

Music manipulates the emotions like no other.
Manipulates?
Music stirs or awakens the spirit.
Putting aside for now exactly what ‘spirit’ means I suggest music does both.
Let’s wander back to the 13th century and see which part of our being this little ditty stimulates.

Those medieval folks, man. Very....corporeal. You might say.

The Carmina Burana is not Christian and does not pretend to be. But it is predictably very medieval and "earthy"

Hi, ding. How's it going? Good post, that's what it's all about.

Here, wrap your head around this one. It's just a little snip from a what I think is a poem called "Our Children". It's written in a different context, but the tenor rings true here.

You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth. The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far. Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness; For even as He loves the arrow that flies, so He loves also the bow that is stable.

The tenor rings true in terms of creativity. There, too, were are only the bow. We are not the archer. Here, though, we're talking about music, Christian music specifically. So, it's specific to a thing that has to do with a thing that has to do with another thing and another thing, so. Ha. As it is, we are only a conduit for a higher power, and again, everybody believes in something, this topic just has to do with a specific bow, so to speak. To steal another snip from that same poem, and to place it into perspective with music and creativity, the sound of music is something that comes through us but not from us, though it is with us, it does not belong to us. ding, there are people in this world who can talk about such things with great humilty. But it's early. And I'm probably not the one anyway.

Last edited:
Manipulates?

You're both saying the same thing. Just differently. Remember the archer, the bow, and the mark upon the path of the infinite? Process...

Are you an audiophile, Karl? I am. I'm strict, too. lol.

Hi, ding. How's it going? Good post, that's what it's all about.

Here, wrap your head around this one. It's just a little snip from a what I think is a poem called "Our Children". It's written in a different context, but the tenor rings true here.

You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth. The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far. Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness; For even as He loves the arrow that flies, so He loves also the bow that is stable.

The tenor rings true in terms of creativity. There, too, were are only the bow. We are not the archer. Here, though, we're talking about music, Christian music specifically. So, it's specific to a thing that has to do with a thing that has to do with another thing and another thing, so. Ha. As it is, we are only a conduit for a higher power, and again, everybody believes in something, this topic just has to do with a specific bow, so to speak. To steal another snip from that same poem, and to place it into perspective with music and creativity, the sound of music is something that comes through us but not from us, though it is with us, it does not belong to us. ding, there are people in this world who can talk about such things with great humilty. But it's early. And I'm probably not the one anyway.

That's a great poem. If more parents would contemplate its meaning these days we'd all be better off--but that's a whole different topic.

That's a great poem. If more parents would contemplate its meaning these days we'd all be better off--but that's a whole different topic.

Good Morning, Sue. Yeah. Agree. I dunno know, though, topic-wise, I think it's the same topic, just another facet to it. I was thinkong about it in my post back to ding, I just didnlt get into it. Remember I mentioned about frequency?

Share it anyway.

I will listen to music any way I can get it. From my phone, no ear buds if I have to. On Youtube, over my computer speakers, whatever. Good sound systems are preferable, and live is even better (for instance, the resonance of the wood and strings comes over live and not through any sound system IMHO), but you get what you can get. Some music is better than no music. :)

Just for a comparison though, that is kinda cool: we have all seen the Mona Lisa but when I saw it in the Louvre I was transfixed by it. I had never noticed the starkness of the background until I saw it in person. To me she looks like she's sitting over a nuclear holocaust of a sort, with that smile still. I think that's part of the draw of experiencing art "live"--you are forced to attend in our hurry-up world.

Okay I am not super judgey about music, but I am often pretty hard on the modern "praise chorus" or "praise song". They are offered on our screen without musical notation and are so generic in structure that to me it's pick-a-melody, which I often do, and sometimes the wrong melody.

The structure of these songs is pop music predictable with the last stanza repeating like, I don't know, five times. I guess it's at this point you're supposed to be singing the same thing and-- I don't know--contemplating God more? Working yourself into a spiritual state? You can see where my mind goes at this point. Not where it should. I have to shut down my musical mind honestly and pray for forgiveness during church, I am not kidding.

I know this sounds like snobbery and I don't mean it to. I don't mind a few praise songs here and there but they've taken over, and that's too bad. We can do better. That's all.

Share it anyway.

I will listen to music any way I can get it. From my phone, no ear buds if I have to. On Youtube, over my computer speakers, whatever. Good sound systems are preferable, and live is even better (for instance, the resonance of the wood and strings comes over live and not through any sound system IMHO), but you get what you can get. Some music is better than no music. :)

Just for a comparison though, that is kinda cool: we have all seen the Mona Lisa but when I saw it in the Louvre I was transfixed by it. I had never noticed the starkness of the background until I saw it in person. To me she looks like she's sitting over a nuclear holocaust of a sort, with that smile still. I think that's part of the draw of experiencing art "live"--you are forced to attend in our hurry-up world.

Me and Karl very brefly touched on the hurry-up world you mention here but it was in another thread. That's kind of major, and really germane to the topic. I'm glad you mentioned this, Sue. It is a hurry-up world, for sure. If only moments of bliss were the constant in life, huh?

Forum List

Back