The ignorant vote

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
It's a slow day, so care to discuss? We all know the candidates are hot to roust out as many votes as they can, mostly from the ranks of the typically non-voting politically ignorant who normally only care about what's in it for them. Informed people value their vote and will be at the polls. Neil Boortz has some rather interesting thoughts about the "ignorant vote":

"Let’s cut to the chase. I’ve come to the reluctant but inescapable conclusion that about 50% of the adults in this country are simply too ignorant and functionally incompetent to be living in a free society. They have enthusiastically abandoned their sovereignty to the lure of the welfare state. The real problem here is that the rest of us are constantly suffering encroachments on our own freedoms to provide for the survival of the ignorant. "

"I am now and have been for years a firm advocate of developing a system to limit the people who can vote in this country. We need to find a way to restrict the number of people who can vote. If we don’t weed out the chaff soon it may well be too late.

Don’t give me that “democracy” nonsense. In spite of what you hear from your government school teacher, your leftist college professor, or that smiling talking head on television, we are not a democracy. Never were. Weren’t supposed to be. You won’t find the word “democracy” in the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution of the United States or in any constitution of any of the 50 States. There’s a reason for that. Our founding fathers hated the idea of democracy. They knew that a government of majority rule would dissolve into a tyranny of plunder and chaos.

In anticipation of yet another knee-jerk response to my proposal that we limit voting, let me remind you that there is absolutely no constitutional guarantee of your right to vote in any federal election. Do some reading. It isn’t there. A latte to the person who can find anything in our Constitution that sounds remotely like “each citizen shall have the right to vote in a federal election.” Happy hunting.

Suggestions? OK, here you go. Chose the one you like the best and let’s start a movement.

1. Welfare recipients. Those who depend on government forced income redistribution should stay at home on election day and enjoy the fruits of plunder. With all the opportunity that America offers, if you haven’t managed to obtain some level of self-sufficiency by the time you’re a young adult then you should leave important decisions, like who’s going to lead this country, to more qualified citizens.

2. Voters without a clue. Less than one-fourth of Americans can name the two Senators from their home state. The majority of Americans can’t tell you who the Secretary of State or the Vice President is. As voters enter a polling place they should be given a simple short quiz. Name your congressman, your two Senators and the Vice President. Those who successfully answer ALL the questions get sent to a voting machine that actually works. Those who can’t pass this simple citizenship test get shuttled off to a voting machine with no innards. They can punch buttons to their heart’s content, but all they’re getting is some rather lame exercise. They voted, they’re happy. We know their votes don’t count. We’re ecstatic!

I have more ideas, but not enough space. For those of you who do believe strongly that everyone should be able to vote, I have an alternate proposal. President Calvin Coolidge once said that “The business of America is business.” Let’s put that concept to work at the voting booth. Let’s treat America like a business and make every American a shareholder. Shareholders get to vote their shares at the shareholder’s meeting every two years.

Did I say shares? Plural? Yup. Just as with any business corporation, not everyone has the same number of shares. Just how do you acquire shares in America, Inc.? Well, you have one share issued to you just by virtue of your being a citizen. You buy additional shares by paying income taxes.

Sounds intriguing, doesn’t it?"

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/nealboortz/nb20040528.shtml
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/nealboortz/nb20040924.shtml

We had "company" one night this weekend and the "wife" was saying that she was voting for Kerry (everybody else was Bush supporters). We asked why and her answer?

"well, I just don't like war".

To make a long story short, by the end of the night we had her convinced her lame assertation was not enough. She is not a "dumb" person, it is just that other than that, she hasn't been paying attention. She is a nurse and her husband is a doctor in a public clinic. So when she gets home, she eats, reads and then goes to bed. Basically, she is smart, but she does not stay on top of current events and so, from the soundbites she had heard, she assumed Kerry was totally against the war so she was going to support him. Now that she understands (after 2 hours of wine and 5 folks explaining to her why she was wrong :alco: ) why Kerry IS NOT a good choice, she says she is voting for Bush. Gawd I hope she does! That is one more Kerry voter turned Bush voter here in Vegas!

freeandfun1 said:
We had "company" one night this weekend and the "wife" was saying that she was voting for Kerry (everybody else was Bush supporters). We asked why and her answer?

"well, I just don't like war".

To make a long story short, by the end of the night we had her convinced her lame assertation was not enough. She is not a "dumb" person, it is just that other than that, she hasn't been paying attention. She is a nurse and her husband is a doctor in a public clinic. So when she gets home, she eats, reads and then goes to bed. Basically, she is smart, but she does not stay on top of current events and so, from the soundbites she had heard, she assumed Kerry was totally against the war so she was going to support him. Now that she understands (after 2 hours of wine and 5 folks explaining to her why she was wrong :alco: ) why Kerry IS NOT a good choice, she says she is voting for Bush. Gawd I hope she does! That is one more Kerry voter turned Bush voter here in Vegas!

Obviously she's not on welfare, so she would fall under the category of "voters without a clue". I wonder if she could even name her two Senators. Sounds like you had a nice "ignorance intervention" party. Hope it "takes". :rolleyes:

Personally, I'm not so sure of Boortz's idea of setting up voting test requirements but the idea of a tax-paying voter does have some appeal. (Not to mention the idea that a voter be a legal citizen of the U.S. :wtf: )

However, I'm saddened that close elections may be decided by only the ignorant vote responding to media soundbites. :(

Sounds like some good ideas.
But you have to admit that our election process is not very significant as it stands.
Only have of our citizen’s vote, and they have a good reason not too. Nothing every changes, so why vote. Most states are divided up in two districts, among the two parties, and the Electoral College do the actual voting for president. The public has very little say in who gets nominated. I agree we are not a democracy, we never have been.
We just have a coronation for either the guy on the left or the guy on the right. I was going to vote for Bush, now I wonder if I should even waste the time on voting

Nothing every changes, so why vote.

This is the most ignorant thing I've seen all day.. How can anything change, if so many people refuse to vote?

You're either part of the solution, or you're part of the problem...

I CANT agree with what you propose, but Id really really like to. I have time to read, listen and discuss alot of the issues and candidates on local, state, and federal ballots. I try to take in information on both sides of an issue and gather my information from different media and different points of view. I think I am pretty well informed and I am definately opinionated. I know alot of people dont take the time (dont have the time) to truly inform themselves and vote on the sound bites and imagery of a campaign. I somewhat hold the media responsible for their willingness to contribute to this dog and pony show, but the campaigns pump it out, and it sells, or actually it buys (cause it all costs lots of money) votes.

So I agree that many people vote irresponsibly. I would like to think that representational government can work, because I think that is what the founders of this country had in mind. We are " all the people" and we have all got to get it together and start demanding alot more from our elected officials. They have been getting away with alot of #*#* and very little accountability.

If you polled the average Joe's that is what most of them will tell you. Again the reason for half of the population not voting.

White knight said:
If you polled the average Joe's that is what most of them will tell you. Again the reason for half of the population not voting.

Also wrote.

White knight said:
Nothing every changes, so why vote.

But you have to admit it is a tired cliche. If they simply picked a third party and voted for them they could get their change, if that is what they actually want. What they are actually saying is, "I think we do pretty good regardless so why expend the energy it takes to be a responsible voter?"

They don't want change or they would actually vote, it is just a convenient excuse that people use so they won't sound so damned lazy or stupid.

Although it's hard for people in here to understand, there's probably a share people who are simply not interested in politics. Value their diversity!

If people don't care enough to vote, that's their perogative. I prefer our system to countries where everyone is required to vote.

Although not realistic, I would support some sort of remedial test for people being able to vote.

Flying Duck said:
Although it's hard for people in here to understand, there's probably a share people who are simply not interested in politics. Value their diversity!

If people don't care enough to vote, that's their perogative. I prefer our system to countries where everyone is required to vote.

Although not realistic, I would support some sort of remedial test for people being able to vote.

To tell you the truth I agree. However I look at it this way. I thank all those who do not vote for putting their trust in me to choose our leaders! :cof:

Plus, is there anything more fun than Presidential Politics?

Flying Duck said:

LOL, first they would need to first have a remedial class on how to punch a vote without producing hanging chads. Even though they have changed that now in Florida, I'm sure there are other similar things to overcome. Crashing a program comes to mind.

Actually I am a little nervous that there is no constitutional law that protects our right to vote in a federal election...if we didn't vote, then how would it work?

ScreamingEagle said:
LOL, first they would need to first have a remedial class on how to punch a vote without producing hanging chads. Even though they have changed that now in Florida, I'm sure there are other similar things to overcome. Crashing a program comes to mind.

Actually I am a little nervous that there is no constitutional law that protects our right to vote in a federal election...if we didn't vote, then how would it work?

According to the SCOTUS during the last election aftermath the right to vote is a fundamental right it will be protected so long as you want to vote.

Now will the vote count? Not always. There is a new provisional balloting measure that allows you to cast a vote if you are in the wrong precinct (or have some other issues with your registration) but it does not guarantee your vote will be counted.

It allows for those who might otherwise have been turned away before now to cast a ballot and a group of election judges to make the decision on the legality of the vote and whether or not to count it. This insures your right to fill out the ballot, but does not assume that you are smart enough to show up in the right place or gaurantee your vote will be counted.

sagegirl said:
re/ motocycling: ride safe, ride often.

I NEVER ride safe, I ride SAFELY. (Sorry, that's a pet peeve of mine.)

I am appalled that PA prints this on MC plates given that it is incorrect grammar. Must be some Democrats running the DOL there.

261small.jpg

ScreamingEagle said:
It's a slow day, so care to discuss? We all know the candidates are hot to roust out as many votes as they can, mostly from the ranks of the typically non-voting politically ignorant who normally only care about what's in it for them. Informed people value their vote and will be at the polls. Neil Boortz has some rather interesting thoughts about the "ignorant vote":

The wife of a friend of my is a rabid kerry supporter and equally rabid Bush hater. Her attitude is totally irrational. She resents it when I attempt to e-mail her extracts of articles, even when they are from unbiased sources. She refuses to acknowledge government statistics or studies from media sources if they do not favor kerry. Yet she soaks up every distorted talking point vomited out by the Democrats without question. She repeatedly demands that she wants to know my opinion, yet when I attempt to show her the basis on which I have formed my opinions, she is not interested.

What is puzzling about her behavior is that she is far from stupid. The woman is smart, talented and fun to talk to. But she is a total embarrassment when it comes to politics. I've given up. I just told her that I'm going to cancel her vote in this election. I think that pissed her off.

Good.

Merlin1047 said:
The wife of a friend of my is a rabid kerry supporter and equally rabid Bush hater. Her attitude is totally irrational. She resents it when I attempt to e-mail her extracts of articles, even when they are from unbiased sources. She refuses to acknowledge government statistics or studies from media sources if they do not favor kerry. Yet she soaks up every distorted talking point vomited out by the Democrats without question. She repeatedly demands that she wants to know my opinion, yet when I attempt to show her the basis on which I have formed my opinions, she is not interested.

What is puzzling about her behavior is that she is far from stupid. The woman is smart, talented and fun to talk to. But she is a total embarrassment when it comes to politics. I've given up. I just told her that I'm going to cancel her vote in this election. I think that pissed her off.

Good.

I know how you feel. I have several friends. they are smart very bright. but for some reason they have this irrational hatred for President Bush. I just cant explain it. and there is no talking reason to them. Its odd

Forum List

Back