The Hurt Locker

The Hurt Locker (2009) - Box Office Mojo

The movie that won the Best Picture academy award actually tanked at the box office. Domestically it only made $14.7 mil and $21 total. It's been out since June, 26 2009 (10 months) and its way down on the daily ticket sale list (not even in the top 10).

Since it now won the Best Picture, do you see:
(1) A mass amount of people flooding to see it?
(2) A large ad campaign and a large scale release?
(3) Do you plan to see it personally?

Either way I can't imagine The Hurt Locker being in the pooper too long. In fact I think it will be $400 mil gross revenue movie before too long.

I'll wait for it to arrive on DVD, and within a month it'll be on Dish PPV. I think I can wait until Avatar goes retail since adult fantasy isn't my thing. I made the mistake of renting a $1.99 special last Saturday, which was one of the Oscar nominees (District 9). Now I know why it was so cheap. THAT was Oscar material? Give...me...a...break.

District 9 was an Oscar Nominee??? :lol:

I'm a SciFi Geek, so I loved the movie, but Oscar material? I'm with you.

saw hurt locker...liked it...it won because of how it was made produced and shopped to studios....

Just because something wins an academy award, in my mind, doesn't guarantee its a good movie or I'll like it. Lots of artsy fartsy crap wins awards, and that's not movies I'm into.

Didn't "Lost in Translation" get nominated and that was the biggest crap go nowhere movie I've ever seen. didn't even finish it it was so boring

"The Piano"

"The English Patient"

Enough said.

Didn't Fargo win all kinds of awards? I hated that movie.

English Patient was one of the most depressing (maybe THE most depresing) movie i've ever seen.

Although, I saw Synecdoche New York in the middle of the night last night... it was up there on the depressing scale.

Haven't seen Hurt Locker yet. Plan to.

The ex-wife director who beat-out Avatar's ego maniacal director looked FINE last night. Ms. Bigelow obviously does some crunches. At first I thought her dress was too tight ("how can that poor lady breathe?" I wondered). But after a moment I saw that she had some slack there. Nice flat belly! Decent looking face, too.

20100308michael_bigalow.jpg

And she took pains to thank the troops! I liked the lady!

:clap2:

Last edited:

The movie that won the Best Picture academy award actually tanked at the box office. Domestically it only made $14.7 mil and $21 total. It's been out since June, 26 2009 (10 months) and its way down on the daily ticket sale list (not even in the top 10).

Either way I can't imagine The Hurt Locker being in the pooper too long. In fact I think it will be $400 mil gross revenue movie before too long.

I'll wait for it to arrive on DVD, and within a month it'll be on Dish PPV. I think I can wait until Avatar goes retail since adult fantasy isn't my thing. I made the mistake of renting a $1.99 special last Saturday, which was one of the Oscar nominees (District 9). Now I know why it was so cheap. THAT was Oscar material? Give...me...a...break.

Yeah, I liked it but definitely not Oscar material, but I guess it was for a particular category, and not "best picture" or something like that.

"Foooooook! Love that :lol:

Just because something wins an academy award, in my mind, doesn't guarantee its a good movie or I'll like it. Lots of artsy fartsy crap wins awards, and that's not movies I'm into.

Didn't "Lost in Translation" get nominated and that was the biggest crap go nowhere movie I've ever seen. didn't even finish it it was so boring

I hated that one too. In fact, since I seemed to be a minority opinion, I actually watched it again not too long ago to see if I'd missed something. I hadn't, and I still didn't like it. You'd think, boring a love affair (if you can call it that) that it was, viewers would at least have been able to understand what she whispered to him at the very end. Like WTF?

Another one that I think won (maybe just nominated) was The Piano. What a depressing movie. Depressing scenery with rain and mud all throughout; depressing sex scenes (gross), plus I couldn't understand a single word the little Scottish girl was saying, and I presume she was supposed to add something to the plot line which was... what?

Overall, I'm a huge fan of movies--all except musicals. I still haven't made it all through Chicago. I enjoy plots that aren't predictable, great acting, and surprise endings that make me say Oooohh, never saw that coming!

Yup, starring one human whose acting was pretty good, a couple of macho men, and a whole bunch of prawns (yes, the fish) who spoke a language that had to be subtitled. Wunnerful...

"The Piano"

"The English Patient"

Enough said.

English Patient was one of the most depressing (maybe THE most depresing) movie i've ever seen.

Although, I saw Synecdoche New York in the middle of the night last night... it was up there on the depressing scale.

Oh no! I LOVED Fargo. It's probably the best dark comedy I've ever seen.

Yeah, I liked it but definitely not Oscar material, but I guess it was for a particular category, and not "best picture" or something like that.

"Foooooook! Love that :lol:

It was one of the ten nominated for best picture for some reason. "Foook" reminded me of that new series on Syfy called "Caprica" where instead of saying fuck all the time, they say fark. Censors aren't too bright over there I guess.

"The Piano"

"The English Patient"

Enough said.

I love the English Patient. And both the actors.

Ralph Fiennes made a better serial killer or concentration camp commander IMO...he has that evil streak in his repetoire that just makes him perfect for those type of roles. The Hurt Locker was an OK movie....glad the guys in Iraq and Afghanistan are getting some positive exposure in the left wing lunatic areas of the country.

Last edited:
Only got through maybe 30 or 45 minutes of it. It was boring as hell and I'm a big fan of war flicks but this one was utterly intolerable.

Not surprised at all though that the Hollyweird loons voted for it. If they can make a negative statement about war they'll do it every time.

Actually, seeing as how you didn't watch the whole movie, I think your view of it was a little skewed - it really left the politics out of it entirely. I didn't think it was an amazing movie, but I'd disagree with you making a non-political film political.

You are on crack. Slumdog Millionaire had a minimal boost from winning best picture. Avatar will get a bigger boost from NOT winning than The Hurt Locker will from winning.

Never really been a big fan of James Cameron. The Hurt Locker was a great film, and it received the awards it so richly deserved.

The Hurt Locker was an awful film. It was portrayed as realistic, and it was everything but. It was boring. The acting was horrible. It WAS well directed, but it's not hard to direct a film that's point and shoot. Cameron spent 13 years making his movie.

They hate giving awards to anything sci-fi related, Avatar was doomed in that respect.

Avatar was doomed because it's the first in a trilogy. The third film will easily be awarded for the overall achievement of the series. See: Lord of the Rings.

i havent seen it yet (Dist 9) but those i know that have,could not believe it was nominated also....

]

Synecdoche New York ????.....Jill i have never heard of this one,i cant even pronounce it....

The ex-wife director who beat-out Avatar's ego maniacal director looked FINE last night. Ms. Bigelow obviously does some crunches. At first I thought her dress was too tight ("how can that poor lady breathe?" I wondered). But after a moment I saw that she had some slack there. Nice flat belly! Decent looking face, too.

and she is 58 years old.....

and she is 58 years old.....

I'm a bit younger than she is and am not usually attracted to women even MY age. (Thankfully, my wife is a little younger than I am. She puts up with me! :) )

But I found Ms. Bigelow attractive. And even knowing her age, I still do find her attractive.

Forum List

Back